Note to New Members ×

Zen and the Art of Breathing While Carving

Jack M

1 hour ago, Jack Michaud said:

Trying something new this year - inhale during transitions, exhale throughout the carve.  Kind of like how you're supposed to exhale during a bench press.  I feel better and less winded this way.  Give it a shot. 

Anyone else?

This makes sense to me, I suspect that I probably already do it (for the same reasons as mentioned above) but to be mindful of it makes plenty of sense. Seems like it would help one flow more smoothly to integrate conscious breathing into your technique as well.

I'm more like a St. Bernard dog in August. Drool included. ;)

Really though, my carving exertion levels are in a mid-range where I'm not bracing/straining hard, but breathing hard enough that I'm not going to wait for something else. 

A simple breathing exercise that helps in So many situations, is to count heartbeats thru whole of  breath cycle. You inhale, drawing air in from the lower part of your lung to the top over the count of 6 heartbeats. Hold for 6 heartbeats. Exhale quietly from top to bottom in the lungs over 6 heartbeats. Hold (no air in there) for 6 heartbeats.  Repeat on inhale...,

This forces the abs to work smoothly, and also uses the lungs to a greater capacity, as they're now 'feeding' the blood supply partially from the reserve that's always there. If done quietly, it has the bonus of letting you stay very quiet ; thus getting that sneak-shot in on your Kiddo with a Nerf gun because he never heard you!!:AR15firin

6 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

Trying something new this year - inhale during transitions, exhale throughout the carve.  Kind of like how you're supposed to exhale during a bench press.  I feel better and less winded this way.  Give it a shot. 

Anyone else?

JG taught me this and it has served me well. Although at times, autopilot kicks in and I forget to relax and breath through the turn. We (Katie and I) were stoked to spend the day riding and hanging with Ryan Knapton and his special girl Kristen. Talk about winded... Ryan pointed the camera at me a couple times and as I attempted to perform as much as I could... I forgot to breath and wound up at the base of Breckenridge gasping for O2. Thanks for the good times.

Pro life tip: when a shredder like Mr Knapton is following you with a camera, Pretend there is no camera and breath.

7 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

Anyone else?

Way to go Jack! 

1 hour ago, BlueB said:

The trouble really starts when I ride moguls... I'm at a complete loss there, as far as breading rhythm goes. 

me too B

thanks for the reminder Jack,

when I did a lot of backcountry I learned to alternate even & odd breaths per stride to keep both legs equally oxygenated.

4 hours ago, BlueB said:

The trouble really starts when I ride moguls... I'm at a complete loss there, as far as breading rhythm goes. 

moguls is my love zone, and my hack on breathing is just sing a [random] song... it gives your ride a rhytm, adds to your tranquility, and keeps breathing active. yes, breathing is a PROBLEM in high stress rides. just murmur a little and relax :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big mario said:

I make motor noises and shift gears on transitions sometimes

But that's only because I'm so mature

mario

LOL.  I know a good softbooter who always beats me at the Sugarloaf Banked Slalom.  One year the course was particularly fast and carvey and seemed to favor my alpine setup.  Well to my surprise he got first and I got third overall.  I asked him how he did it and he just said "race car noises!"

• Like 2

Breathing in during transition, and out through the turn, should be very good in terms of good breathing practice (if your transitions are short). The exhale should ideally take longer than the inhale. Our heart rate actually responds to this by speeding up during the inhale, and slowing down during the exhale. It's called RSA - respiratory sinus arrhythmia, and it improves pulmonary gas exchange.

• Like 1

Breathing.jpgDon't overthink it.

Breathing is too important a function to be left to the conscious parts of our brain for final control. It's got to keep on going when we're asleep, drunk, or even completely preoccupied with driving the heelside edge in.......

If you really want to get into what happens to breathing, heart function, blood flow, and oxygen transfer during exercise at altitiude you could do far worse for an authoritative source than reading what the Centres for Disease Control have published.

https://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/sgr/pdf/chap3.pdf

Personally I'm with Jim & Mario. Singing is good, making Ferrari Testarossa at full noise exhaust sounds is better, just having fun is best of all!

Like I don't have enough to think about:

1. Stay centered on Board

2. Initiate turn with hips

3. Open knees for heel side

4. Close knees for toe side

5. Don't reach for the snow

6. Relax stay fluid

7. Square your shoulders up cross your arm over the board

8. Compress your body for steeps

9. Look where you going

I could keep going, but now you are telling me I also need to breath....????

Now Jack's "heavy breathing" is going to be in the back of my head the next time I hit the slopes....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

SunSurfer, so you're telling me I don't feel better when I do this?  Interesting.

If it feels good, do it! (Actually, that applies to Max and his girlfriend too ;)) )

Jack, I agree with you, but up to a point. It is a whole lot easier to breathe in when your abdominal muscles are relaxed than when they are firmly tensed and bracing your core.

But the whole cardio respiratory response to sustained exercise is incredibly complex, and still relatively poorly understood. A myriad of sensors, effectors, and feedback loops, all happening without conscious thought on our part, deliver vastly increased amounts of oxygen to our working muscles, and deal with the carbon dioxide produced, as well as buffering the lactic acid when we're really going for it! The respiratory centre in our brainstem does the job of controlling frequency and volume of breathing. I know from undergoing formal cardio pulmonary exercise testing that at peak exercise I can move in excess of 120 litres per minute in and out of my lungs, compared with 5-6 litres at rest. And it will all happen automatically, without any conscious thought on my part.

So, don't overthink it. Your body knows best.

1 hour ago, SunSurfer said:

So, don't overthink it. Your body knows best.

Apparently mine does not.  Without thinking about it I was breathing erratically, and often holding my breath during carves.  Inhaling during a turn transition (when my body is more relaxed) and exhaling during the carve when I am exerting myself much more (a la, a bench press) results in getting less winded and feeling better.

Yeah Geoff, I think at your level you're doing a lot of that subconsciously.  This is just one more thing to train into your subconscious.