Note to New Members ×

Best jacket without a hood?

carvedog

I was on the lookout for a removable hood last I shopped, and the short answer seems to be that nobody makes them any more.  I've just gotten used to having the hood bunched up behind my helmet.

ETA: Whoops, spoke too soon, the Cassiar workshop7 mentioned has a removable hood.  And it's only $CDN900, a bargain!

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

I know their jackets are expensive.  However, if you read the reviews on the website some guy tells a story of owning one of their jackets for over ten years.  When he sent it to them for a repair that he fully expected to pay for they sent him back a brand new jacket, for free.

Well, hoods are removable, and jackets fit several criteria, shells, medium warmth or full warmth, everybody gives windproof, water proof, you need to be a bit more specific.

The site owner prefers kink0 18$ gloves, and I will assume carheart coats, that would be the bottom of the scale, the top would be arcteryx anything, used high end coats are still great coats.

I found a small clothing manufacturer who works with goretex to remove the hood but leave a high collar that would tuck just in behind my helmet. Best part is they took the leftover material and replaced the worn parts around the hips, basically doubled the life of my jacket. Professional job, used the OEM stitching pattern and altogether it cost $20.

i think a local tailor could even do it if familiar with fabric membranes.

23 hours ago, Keenan said:

Descente - removable hood.

Thanks guys. Will look at Descente and Marmot. I thought I had looked through everything Arc but didn't see this one. Seems to be the only one removable though, but thanks for the find. Definitely looking at it. 

23 hours ago, drschwartz said:

Marmot has options with removable hoods

21 hours ago, workshop7 said:

Arcteryx Cassier

19 hours ago, ursle said:

Well, hoods are removable, and jackets fit several criteria, shells, medium warmth or full warmth, everybody gives windproof, water proof, you need to be a bit more specific.

The site owner prefers kink0 18$ gloves, and I will assume carheart coats, that would be the bottom of the scale, the top would be arcteryx anything, used high end coats are still great coats.

I apparently provided the exact amount of information needed for the other fellows. I asked for a hoodless (removable works) ski shell or jacket. I don't need medium of full warmth, gloves or assumptions of Carharts, but thanks for playing. 

5 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

Stio - removable hood, $425:

http://www.stio.com/mens-environ-jacket

Looks pretty cool and I like local. They top out at an XL and unfortunately I am still a bit bigger than most XL sizing. My pants are XL Bergens and they are awesome but nearly worn through. Especially for jacket I need the length. Nearly six feet tall with a 31 inch inseam = long torso. Thx. 

Edited by carvedog

On 11/7/2016 at 7:37 PM, BlueB said:

I looked today at some Columbia, North Face and HH jackets. They all had removable hoods. 

hey Blue B - by HH I assume you mean Helly Hansen... I am in their pro form program and could find Nada. Which model? - their stuff is pretty good to me so far. 

I do like North Face and could likely set up pro form.....will look again. I tried to just shop locally .... especially in North Face since two different shops carry it and nothing. 

Online is showing some good choices so that might work. 

On 11/5/2016 at 10:25 PM, big canuck said:

A bunch of my North Face jackets have removeable hoods.

good value and quality imho

kc

• 2 weeks later...

T-12-003.jpg

montane extreme smock works for me (over single icebreaker 260 tech top). attachable VERY warm hood (practically never used). it is -20C in the photo. it is cold weather pile+pertex shell and i really LOVE it. too warm for -5C and up though

jacket non-anorak version available too

• 1 month later...

Update for this thread in case anyone goes looking. Tobe outerwear does removable hoods. I just bought a onesie from them and it came with a removable hood and remembered this thread. They sell regular jacklets as well. Very high quality stuff. Designed for snowmobilers but it'll definitely work for skiing/snowboarding.

http://us.tobeouterwear.com/050216-299-privus-jacket-dark-olive-ins