Note to New Members ×

Heard It In The Lift Line 2015/2016

gigo60

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎09 at 0:01 PM, FrankNBeans said:

Perhaps I am the only one that has been asked this: "Can you ride that backwards?". The first few times I was asked this, I couldn't muster a response. That last time I was asked, I intuitively replied, "Why would I want to do that?  So I can see where I've been?".

Similar story. Back in the early 90s, I was on a trip to Whistler riding with a friend who was a local. He rode in hardboots and on an asym alpine board for everything back then (a Kemper, if I remember correctly). A loudmouth jibber (fat stance, board with cut off tips,fat jeans, flannel shirt, beanie) gets in the lift line and starts talking shit and making fun about everything and everyone in line, specially skiers. No one talks back. He sees my buddie's board and starts hassling him about it and finally goes "You can't even ride that piece of shit fakie!". My buddy turns around and says "Why would you want to ride backwards? Are you afraid to face the mountain?". The dude didn't have a comeback and was left with his mouth wide open. Every single person in the lift line started pointing and laughing at him, throwing snowballs. The dude finally had to quit the line and head down on the cattrack.

23 hours ago, workshop7 said:

Riding with a friend who was on skis last year.  He had never seen someone on hard boots and a carving board before.  We get on the lift after taking 4th or 5th runs.  He says, "I feel like if I get in your way, you are going to cut me in Half."

• Like 1

Skier at snowbird: "you're an awesome boarder".

Nice of them to say so. I think that skiers there are fairly hostile to boarders generally as most of them seem to be pretty useless on piste at least. On none-powder days at least it's predominantly skiers there, and the pistes are motorway (translation: easy and wide), so high speeds are common amongst those unable or afraid to turn.

Not quite a "heard", but one of the lifites gave me an "Alta Snowboard Team" sticker, which was fun.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pmorita said:

A whole lot of whispering, but I can make out the words like 'Monoski', 'Step In', 'Skiboard' and 'Old School'.  Like the last one best.  Lifties seem to always know what's going on.  

So true.  Of the people who recognize alpine equipment, the majority of them have been lifties.

Had a funny reaction the other night when I went to my local hill after work.  I was riding a chair up and a liftie was downloading at the same time.  As we got closer he says "Hey, awesome boots, dude."  He started to say something else just as we were passing each other but stopped mid-sentence and let out a "Woooooaaah, I haven't seen those (hardboots, plate bindings, alpine board) in yeeeaaaars."  Saw him again at the bottom and we chatted a little.  Lifties see a lot of things.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I may have posted this in another thread but it belongs here and you may get a laugh out of it as I did so I will repeat it.

I was standing at the top of the chair getting ready to stepin and go when a softbooter said, "great carving, Dude, you're really laying it down...very cool!"

Well, I had been working hard on getting my board up on edge, i.e. side wall buried, but I knew, and still know, I have a long ways to go but, hey, a compliment is a compliment no matter how you look at it. Anyway, I was a little puzzled until my next chair ride up when I saw a "real" carver (only the second I'd seen all season) really gettin' it done on steeper, pretty narrow slopes right under the chair.  I tried to find my new idol but never could catch up to him.  His last beautiful pencil lines went to the bottom and he evidently got in his car and drove home. Haven't seen him since but I see him in my dreams.  I've got the stoke...I'll get there if I don't run out of B-days first.

• Like 1

Not in the lift line but on the chair yesterday the guy sitting next to me looked down at my board and then at the snow below us and said, "those must be your tracks;  nice pencil-line arcs and no contact between them."  Hey, I am getting better even though that was one of the few sections on the hill where I made those tracks.  There's hope where there's stoke!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

^ And he had cheek to say that after straight lining and almost taking out Patrick, who BTW, was on a small board and barely needing 1/3 of the run to carve the turn... 

On brighter side, same day, from a liftie: "Whaaat, a 192?!?"