Note to New Members ×

Heard It In The Lift Line 2015/2016

gigo60

I had few very young kids from my son's ski racing club, behind me, in the lineup. 

Kid 1: OMG, what's this? I's it telemark? 

Kid 2: OMG, what a hell is that? 

We eventually ended upon the same chair and had a brief chat about it. However, very quickly they became more interested if I closed the safety bar every time I'm on the chair... :smashfrea 

49 minutes ago, FrankNBeans said:

Perhaps I am the only one that has been asked this: "Can you ride that backwards?". The first few times I was asked this, I couldn't muster a response. That last time I was asked, I intuitively replied, "Why would I want to do that?  So I can see where I've been?".

My answer to that comment is "You can, but would you drive a Ferrari backwards?"

1 hour ago, FrankNBeans said:

Perhaps I am the only one that has been asked this: "Can you ride that backwards?". The first few times I was asked this, I couldn't muster a response. That last time I was asked, I intuitively replied, "Why would I want to do that?  So I can see where I've been?".

I just say yes.  If they dig some more, I say that I prefer riding forwards most of the time.  

6 hours ago, FrankNBeans said:

See this

• Like 2

About 11 years ago in my 4th year of riding hardboots I was coming down the hill under the lift with snow conditions far from perfect for carving and each turn I was fighting my board as it bucked and kicked on every bump and I was working hard to make big round smooth turns. From above on the lift there was someone yelling something at me so I stopped and the guy yells down “That looks boring” By far the best compliment I’ve received.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, I_LOVETT said:

About 11 years ago... “That looks boring” By far the best compliment I’ve received.

A funny comment, at the top of Breck, from an instructor to his advanced class; "Here, watch this guy carve his life away."

Maybe he has a point.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

"Born that way.." 

That would be the Stoic Vermontster answer. The reality would shock most Snowboarders.  I learned to Carve due to Fins, used on early Sims, Winterstick, Flite and Burton boards in the very early 80's. I owned a 140 cm Flite, then 5 Burtons that used Fins. Only my Sims FE 1500 also had fins (an '86; after that, few fins, and those were on Burton boards). Three of those early Burtons were 'throwbacks' compared with the earlier Flite, as they had NO metal edges, but the Flite did, with fins and P-tex, too. You could NOT Sideslip a fin-only board! Carving was the only choice....

• Like 1

Last Friday at Meadows they were having the high school state snowboard championships and one of the kids in line behind me announced that I was the "dopest" snowboarder he had ever seen.  Please refer to me as "The Dopest" next time you greet me, I'm running with this title.

• Like 2

I was at Stratton during the Vermont Open and rode the Amex chair with two young adults that were riding Doneks with softies. They asked me what size is your board? It's a Coiler 174. Then they say the ride a 170 and a 167. The young mans name was Hunter and was sponsored by Donek. I did not get the young lady's name but I believe she was also sponsored by Donek. The two of them could not have been more polite and engaging. It's always nice to know that there is still some youth out there that is not completely absorbed by electronic devices and can carry on a conversation. I hope Sean Martin reads this. Donek is very well represented! 

• Like 1