Note to New Members ×

Heard It In The Lift Line 2015/2016

gigo60

"Is that a carving ski?" - Explained what my board was, talked a little about how it felt to ride and the learning curve.

"What's the purpose of that [setup]? Is it for speed?" - It's more of a side-effect, but yes.

"Woah, monoski!", "Yo, are those ski boots on that guy's board?", & "Nice! Alpine!"

Had a few kids on chair tell me they liked my board.

"Are you riding ski boots on a snowbawrd!?"  - liftie with a wicked Boston accent

"These are snowboard boots." - me

"No, THESE are snowboard boots."  -liftie, pointing to his softboots

<sigh>

Despite the incredulous start, he was fascinated by the boots and BTS, and ended up being super stoked on the gear in general.

Didn't convert him, but at least he acknowledged that we had one big thing in common... we both love to kahv.

• Like 1

Can't believe I'm the first person to post this one!

Yesterday at NICE at Schweitzer mountain, a pack of about 10 riders was tearing up Lower Kaniksu, a great carving run with a consistent pitch that runs straight down the fall line. We had done a few passes and the run was...somewhat worse for the wear. We had all carved a few pitches, and had stopped on the side of the trail to regroup. The last rider (Kram, I believe) went by and pulled in at the bottom of the group. Three skiers had been following him, and they paused on the other side of the run to take in the view. Now, this story is much more awesome if you bear in mind that they are no more than 30 feet away, there's a group of 10 of us in plain sight on the other side of the run, and everything they say is clearly audible. 

One of the skiers said "How do they do that?"

Another, an older gentleman, surveyed the wrecked run and said angrily "They're everygoddamwhere!"

At that point I spoke up and said "Actually, most of us are on Lower Kaniksu right now."

I offered this information to be helpful, thinking they might want to ride a different part of the mountain...OK, maybe I was 50% helpful and 50% being a sarcastic jerk. :ices_ange At any rate, this information didn't seem to improve their mood, and they muttered angrily (sadly, no one could catch quite what they said, but we all agreed it probably couldn't be printed) and skied off, carefully avoiding the drainage ditch-sized trenches at each side of the run. 

I figured it probably wouldn't help things to yell after them "Our Internet snowboard friends are going to love this story!"

• Like 3

a couple things to note from recent days.

race day saturday, no room at the inn so I.m eating lunch on a chair by the entry door cause it's dumping outside, one of the local ski race coaches see's me as he walks in and makes a point to sit next to me for a moment to compliment my riding, said he watched from the lift; (an off piste bump run, that day was soft snow somewhat ski packed but easy to lay over smooth short full C turns in the fall line using poles to keep the upper body going the proper direction, swinging them like a ballet skier,; to paraphrase, "your really smooth, a pleasure to watch, really, very elegant". humbly thanked him and said "I was a good bump skier before learning to snowboard". He got up to join the racers and said glibly, That's obvious.

don't think I've ever been called elegant before:freak3:

the next week I'm ripping a zipper line, like the moguler I am, under the slowspeed quad turning heads,  I hear one of the softbooters in a full chair yell WHAT IS THAT, as I pass underneath he turns around yelling WHAT THE PHUQ IS THAT THING

Had to stop to catch my breath and couldn't help laughing

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 2

Yesterday, at Sunapee, Curt was railing turns down Bonanza like a Madd-man (but on the MK), while I had swapped out to my Madds BX, also on plates. I was resting a sec, getting fresh blood back in the legs, A snowboarder on the chair was watching CMC, and whooping as he went past. I don't think Curt heard him. But the dude saw me, and said loudly, "Oh, s#1t, there's Another one!", That got me up off my butt, and ripping it on down the hill! 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Our little posse at the land of love gets more than our fair share of the uninformed comments, as well as the that is so cool....the best by far came after 6 of us absolutely raged past a small euro family pulled off to the side of Bennetts bowl last Sunday.  Dad proceeded to lay down some beautiful railroad tracks on his skis, caught us at the lift, and said:

"It is so nice to see people who know how to properly turn zee snowboard "

made me smile

mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 7

Standing in the singles line, I get a tap on the shoulder.  I turned to see one of the Beaver Creek Park Crew who says: "I've been watching you all season... It's unbelievable how you lay it down so quickly from edge-to-edge... You're slaying it dude"!  I told him - thanks dude, it feels good to be a 55 year old slayer.

• Like 6

Riding a Donek MK the other day at Pats Peak in NH (my local hill) and a couple of teenagers look at the board and say, "that's a cute little board."  I had no words.  So, I just said thanks.  I saw them in line again an hour later and they sang a different tune.  "Holy $&!t! How do you do that?"

• Like 3

Not Heard In The Liftline:

At a recent presentation on Wintersticking In Utah, at a university campus here in Utah, a student showed a clip of doctorfilm.ru's Russian extreme carving afterwards. One of the professors, a snowboarder herself, watched in awe as riders not only went around gates but underneath a ribbon, too. She pointed at the screen and said, "How can I do that?". I pointed her to BOL and told her to get her credit card ready. 

Heard In The LIftline:

"Is that board fast?", said the liftie.

"It's no faster than any other board. It does not break the rules of physics. In fact, it obeys the rules of physics. It draws a perfect line in the snow because I make it turn perfectly", I responded. 

"Is that board fast?", said another liftie. 

"C-YA!", said me. 

On 2/22/2017 at 11:48 PM, workshop7 said:

Riding a Donek MK the other day at Pats Peak in NH (my local hill) and a couple of teenagers look at the board and say, "that's a cute little board."  I had no words.  So, I just said thanks.  I saw them in line again an hour later and they sang a different tune.  "Holy $&!t! How do you do that?"

Unless there's actually more than one carver sporting an MK at Pats Peak, it must have been you I saw there 3 or 4 weekends ago.  Never did get to see you ride, but was surprised to see an MK in the racks late in the afternoon.

• Like 1

Riceball actually heard this one on Saturday, but got a good laugh out of repeating it to Dave and I. Kid behind us in the line looks at the carving boards and says "What's that?" and his dad replies "It's a barely acceptable form of snowboarding".

• Like 5

With my new Moss PQ 60's  shape and then the addition plates and hardboots........well it seems it is just Too Much (different?) for almost everybody to comprehend!

I had a buddy come in for a 3 day Tahoe hit and run - (1st chair to closing every day at three different resorts) ...and on day 1 on the first ride up I get the usual bombardment......in the lift line, on the lift, at the top of the lift........... skiers and snowboarders alike, even he lifties chime in, it's a montage loop of:..... "what's that?, cool board!,nice ride!, surfs up dude!, cowabunga dude!, going surfing?, Where's the surf?, Hey, the ocean is that way!, whoa-look at that,  Is it.....fast, maneuverable, for pow, for groomers, for BC".......and then they start in on "the ski boots", etc, etc......and those in the lift line that are not close enough to ask questions are gawking and pointing and saying all sorts of nonsense.

My buddy is in total dismay at all this attention and by the third lift ride up he says - "Man, is it Always like this"?  All I can say is - "Yep!, I'm the recipient of unwanted attention "...Ugh!

By the 4th or 5th lift up it was nice to also hear from some of the same people  - " Hey!, Wow!, Crazy! nice...turns, lines, carves, runs" 

SAM_0870.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I'd just want to know why you're running such steep angles on that puppy. 

Thats what he would have heard in the lift line, from me ;)

In the case you missed previous discussions on this topic, those angles are already pretty "low" for him ;) It's work in progress. :) 

• Like 1

Man you Canuk guys are quick to critique - must be something in the water up there?? 

Thanks Blue B for the save there!~..yes Neil their steep but I have come down from 65/55 (when I set up the Moss I was just matching the setup that was working on my Swoard Dual) to 55/45 and reduced my rear lift from 6 to 3 and traded out Track 700's for 325's............ liking it and it's working for me. 

At one of the local hills there's a long/steep/icy off-loading ramp that's pretty tricky to ride.  I try to clip in as I touch down, then make the corner and sail past the field of people doing their best impressions of land-locked elephant seals.  I can feel the eyes burning my back every time.  LOL!  

I'm still laughing over this one:   

On 2/26/2017 at 9:02 PM, Allee said:

Riceball actually heard this one on Saturday, but got a good laugh out of repeating it to Dave and I. Kid behind us in the line looks at the carving boards and says "What's that?" and his dad replies "It's a barely acceptable form of snowboarding".

6 hours ago, corey_dyck said:

At one of the local hills there's a long/steep/icy off-loading ramp that's pretty tricky to ride.  I try to clip in as I touch down, then make the corner and sail past the field of people doing their best impressions of land-locked elephant seals.  I can feel the eyes burning my back every time.  LOL!  

clickity, clickity,clickity,clickity,clickity,clickity,clickity,