Note to New Members ×

Gopro Line of the Winter

jtslalom

Obviously very set up but amusing.  I find it a little hard to believe that the Audi just happened to be parked there;)

What does bother me a bit though is that he is not wearing a helmet.  Kids absorb these kind of videos and someone with this kind of status should be creating a better example.  Wow, I'm officially an old fart now.

What does bother me a bit though is that he is not wearing a helmet.  Kids absorb these kind of videos and someone with this kind of status should be creating a better example.  Wow, I'm officially an old fart now.

I'd get over it. The helmet industry is hardly suffering, with an almost complete take-over of the sport in the last few years.

The fact that the change has had no significant effect on the death rate is interesting. I'd not take video too seriousl, but it's always possible that these guys actually did their research.

• Like 1

I'd get over it. The helmet industry is hardly suffering, with an almost complete take-over of the sport in the last few years.

The fact that the change has had no significant effect on the death rate is interesting. I'd not take video too seriousl, but it's always possible that these guys actually did their research.

Interesting, I will have to dig around to see what is behind those statistics.  To your exact point an experienced young woman, according to the report, died at Jackson hole last week after hitting a tree.  They said she was wearing a helmet.  With the very rare exceptions I am sure helmets protect more than they harm so I still think people should set good examples.  We have all heard of young people doing stupid things because they saw someone else on YouTube doing it, anyone remember the jumping off roof tops onto a table like it was the top rope of wrestling?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sports/on-slopes-rise-in-helmet-use-but-no-decline-in-brain-injuries.html?_r=0

There is one report about it.  Personally I will keep my helmet on.  I suppose a heavy helmet on the head could lead to a bigger whiplash event, or something similar, but it sure is icy in the midwest and that doesn't feel good on the head.

Edited by Futahaguro

Obviously very set up but amusing.  I find it a little hard to believe that the Audi just happened to be parked there;)

Agreed.  Guess I'm an old fart too because I see numerous responsibility code violations.  Oh well.

If they did their research, they made the incorrect conclusion.  Helmets are also intended to prevent/reduce injuries like concussion, fracture, laceration, abrasion, etc., not just death.  In a study at Sugarbush, VT, helmets were found to reduce the number of head injuries for people wearing helmets vs. people not wearing helmets.  The unfortunate side effect of helmets though, is that they turn many people into dumbasses who then take greater risks and incur greater head injuries when they exceed the capabilities of the helmets.

http://www.lidsonkids.org/?p=358

The only logical conclusion can be that it is good to wear a helmet and behave like you aren't.

Edited by Jack Michaud
  • Like 2

The only logical conclusion can be that it is good to wear a helmet and behave like you aren't.

Amen, brother!  

I love my helmet.  Adjustable venting so it's warm when I want and cool when I want.  Headphones for the lift line/ride up.  Doesn't snag on tree branches.  Will probably help if I try to smash something with my head.  

• Like 1

The unfortunate side effect of helmets though, is that they turn many people into dumbasses who then take greater risks and incur greater head injuries when they exceed the capabilities of the helmets.

It's because you can't put a GoPro on a floppy hat. And even if you could, the pompom would get in the way of the rad footage.

Agreed. There is no good reason not to wear a helmet. But there's also no good reason to smoke cigarettes, and plenty of people do. I'm not sure I was any dumber when I was doing both, but I sure felt dangerouser.

• Like 1

"You think your head is safe? It is an illusion, a comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of glisse…"

Snowboarding helmets are not very useful in high speed collisions with hard objects like trees.  They aren't tested to that standard.

And if they were, it likely wouldn’t make much difference.  E.g., Helments won't keep the pump from tearing free of the rest of the hydraulic system when you stop short. 

Wearing a helmet in and of itself isn’t a bad plan.  It’s the execution and side effects that create problems.  Many wear helmets like/as a fashion accessory, rather than as piece of protective gear.  Loose straps, worn backward, poorly sized,  materials out of date to the point of crumbling, etc.

Some products are little better than the bump caps one might find at a meat packing plant, and carry stickers warning of their inadequacy.

And there’s the aforementioned 'compensatory behavior', that tendency to act with increased abandon on account of ‘perceived’ safety.  

Allow for the possibility of that door swinging both ways.

One has to wonder if there were fewer head injuries per capita in American Football (Hand-egg?) back in the days of leather headgear. Similarly, during the boom years of skiing in the late 60’s, early 70’s, where on the curve are head injuries v injuries to the rest of the body? Until the late 80's, Helmets in competition were rarely seen outside of DH and Aerials. Ironically, as skiers gain greater 'control' over their skis with changes to flex, sidecut, and materials, the pursuit has become more dangerous.

When one considers just how easy it is for the average alpine enthusiast to engage far more energy than they can safely manage, advocacy of helmet use v behavioral change seems downright foolish.

The former, of course, is relatively easy, soothes anxiety, and generates profit.  The latter, not so much.