Note to New Members ×

25 year+ riding club

jtslalom

This March is year 27 or 28 for me.

Started  on a spring break trip to Stowe in March of '87 or '88.

Lesson was mandatory (Lowell Hart was my instructor) and ski patrol did a run with you to make sure you were not lethal.

You were provided with a picture pass to show on every lift ( Still have mine)

I rented a Burton Elite 135 for the week after day 1, ski boot liners stuffed into Sorels finished the job.

Edited by loopback

next season is # 30 for me, first rode my experimental performer in '85, 1st time on a ski lift (Hyak) '86, w/ Merrel supercomp "hard" boots in '87, was still tele-ing then and didn't really get good at it till Snoqualmie Pass started allowing & renting in 87/88 where I got to try out lots of boards with edges & p-tex and camber, oh my how I liked camber.

4011579911_0dcd991023_z.jpg?zz=1

Edited by b0ardski

this year is 37 for me. I have been riding since 1978. I started on a yellow Brunswick snurfer. I have ridden many different boards over the years and many different boot and binding combos. Currently riding the Pureboarding stance and am working on rotating into my turns. I am going to attend a pureboarding clinic this year and might buy a Pureboarding board? I rode a similar board years ago at Snowmass a Mistral 159 asym which I rode everywhere. That board is hanging up at Bomber. Hope to be riding for many more years!

• Like 1

Year 28 for me, too.  First day was at Gunstock, NH in '87. Elite 150 and Sorels.  Same drill as you for that year and the next few: Call ahead to make sure they allow snowboarding, then show up early to take a practice run with ski-patrol, pay for your picture pass, then go buy your lift ticket....still have my passes too.

This March is year 28 for me.

Started at 16 years old on a spring break trip to Stowe in March of '87.

Lesson was mandatory (Lowell Hart was my instructor) and ski patrol did a run with you to make sure you were not lethal.

You were provided with a picture pass to show on every lift ( Still have mine)

I rented a Burton Elite 135 for the week after day 1, ski boot liners stuffed into Sorels finished the job.

1984 , I had started skiing with a company "Ski Package" as a reward to myself for  getting the job.  Started snowboarding toward the end of that season.  Only got a few days in ,  got really stoked the following season and well "the rest is history"   , good times for 30+ years. 

No lessons or rentals available at MHM, they were not sure they wanted "us" there.  It was a day to day sort of deal at the ticket booth.  They deny this now but I was there!!

Bought my first snowboard from a ski shop in town that hated snowboarders.  They only had the board because it was left by a sales rep and they couldn't wait to get rid of it.  I was glad I waited the summer because they now had ptex and metal edges :) 

I still ski , snowboard, tele, snowskate, mono, etc  pretty much anything to slide on snow.

Looking for a good deal on a Hangboard.  :eplus2:

• Like 1

I started in high school while living in wisconsin in 1982 . We where big skateboarders.  It was on a yellow sims thing ? with a skateboard deck and skyhooks mounted on it .  Next was a friends burton backhill , then burton performer , then a burton safari 165 !  Cant believe it has been over 30 years !

Still love all the gravity sports.  

Really into SUP surfing the last few years .  

Jim 

27 years for me, started in 87/88 season on a Black Snow Ice. Oddly, the local hill didn't even bat an eye.

I did have a couple of 2-day seasons during university in the mid-90s though.

If I hadn't found Alpine, I'd have quit about 9 years ago as I was tired of jumps and skidding.

OK OK where did the Smile emoticon go anyway ?  

1st Run was up at ashcroft in 68 on a quigg surfboard, then some Snurfer, then a Snowster though none of them really worked very well ... :eek: 

Last 30 years at Milk... :1luvu:  over 50,000 miles of Surf turns...best day of the year ? 

Today...

Riding Milk all day Today, with our son Rob, who I started Snowboarding 29 years ago...  :biggthump

just happen to have a picture of him from today of a frontside turn... :lurk:

Rob 2 1:15

Edited by softbootsailer

This makes 25 years for me. Started on this bad ride right here.

Voodoo

That's right, the Ken Achenbach pro model. With the unforgiving Sims bindings with the metal bails over the soft top of a size 13 Sorel. The ankle strap was agony, but I was freakin' SNOWBOARDING, so pain was part of the sacrifice, right? I had no earthly idea what I was doing when I bought the rig, so I had one of the experts at a local Winter Park shop mount the bindings. His "expertise" suggested a 45/0 stance leaving about 3 inches of rear Sorel hanging over both rails. But I was freakin' snowboarding! I must have ridden that set up 50 days during the first 2 months of the season, until I took it into Cruise or Bruise Sports and the owner, Wayne, said, "Dude, who the hell did this to you? That's a terrible stance. And who puts eight fat lag screws in each binding?" He inserted the board with probably a 35/25 stance and I rode it another 70 days that year. Things have come a long way!

Started in Upstate NY in 1984 on a Burton Woody. So that puts me at about 30 years.  Picked up a Burton Performer in 1985. Moved to Utah in 1986 where some of the resorts were opening up to snowboarders. Remember having to pass the ability test at Powder Mountain on my Burton Performer. My next board was a Winterstik roundtail with metal edges and Sims Highbacks. Started hardbooting in 1988 on a Kemper with what seemed like no sidecut.

Counting the first time I strapped on a snowboard, about '88, technically qualifies me for this club, even though I never got on a snowboard again until I saw some friends on carving gear about '93. To me, it looked as though they were from another planet, swooping down the slope, seemingly in slow motion, yet flying by everything else on the hill! I had to do it,  put my skis in the car, rented a board and took my first lesson. 

Today, it's still one of the most fun things I've ever done--can't wait to get out on the hill in the morning (gotta have the first tracks) and don't want to stop until my legs give up.

1987. 28th year. Burton Elite 140. Mine had edges and a fin in the middle. My brother's didnt have edges..just ptex. Soft boots for the first few years.

Started hardbooting in '90 at Christmas Mtn in Wisconsin with a K2 164 SLX board, sno-pros and Raichle Flexon Equipe ski boots. My brother had the same setup..then the PJ's came out..and boots evolved too..

Would say that the first proper equipment was in 2000 though...AF600's, Bomber TD1, Donek GS boards.

25 years here.  Although I barely ride once a year here in Minnesota and if I am lucky I get a Colorado trip once a year.  I started in 1990 at Bridger Bowl in Montana on a rental Barfoot Twintip 151.  The next year I got a Burton Performer Elite 140 with the fin in the middle.  That thing had a convex base near the back and was a PITA to learn on because your rear end would want to rotate if you didn't stay on edge!  And holy crap did those bindings suck!  You can see me in my profile picture on my next board, that I still have.  A Burton Air 165 I think.  What a tank.

We had the same issue here with most of the ski areas not allowing snowboards.  I'm glad I took it up because it is definitely the most fun thing to do.

Oh, and sorry hardbooters, I tried it and went back to softboot carving but at least I am using TD2 bases with the Bomber Power Plates:)