Note to New Members ×

Does snowboard racing influence your buying decision?

fin

Does snowboard racing influence your buying decisions?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Does snowboard racing influence your buying decisions?

• No. I am not really that concerned on what brands the racers are currently using
    • Yes. I pay attention to what is on the podium and base decisions from that
    • Maybe. I like to see what brands they use but ultimately I make make my own decision

Just doing a little market research here as this has also been a topic of interest with some in the industry in the past.

Does snowboard racing influence your buying decision?

I recently read in an industry ski magazine that your "typical" ski buyer is not at all influenced by what racers use. And that if you got one of these buyers to even come up with a name in racing close to 100% could not tell you what gear brands they use. Ask yourself right now, what skis and boots does Bode Miller and Lindsey Vonn use :rolleyes:

We here at Bomber are big fans of snowboard racing and do what we can to support it. But we have always wondered its influence on consumers. I do like that we get some incredible technology that trickles down from racing (i.e. metal boards, plates, etc) but as far as BRAND awareness, does what is under their feet effect what you buy?

post-1-141842353094_thumb.jpg

I don't really follow racers, but I like to keep a very general eye on racing. As formats change and gear evolves, I like to keep tabs.

My access to ready coverage is pretty lacking (given my commitment to keeping tabs), but I like to check in every year to see how the hard goods are adapting to the current needs of the racers.

Most of my personal gear is a few seasons old at the newest, but I like to watch to see how gear has held up under others feet before investing.

...Does snowboard racing influence your buying decision?

Nop...not for me...

...We here at Bomber are big fans of snowboard racing and do what we can to support it. But we have always wondered its influence on consumers. I do like that we get some incredible technology that trickles down from racing (i.e. metal boards, plates, etc) but as far as BRAND awareness, does what is under their feet effect what you buy?

But I do highly consider/follow up all the high tech made for racing...is this mean BRAND awareness...maybe :o

Buying decision: only if suited for recretional use. Sometimes I don't have the choice (due to lack of $$$) but have to grab ex racer's deck.

FYI: Finally after 5 years for bindings; I decided Bomber TD2s or modified for all my boards.

Reason: Strength/Quality, Practicality of use/adjustment, Service, Price and availability (new parts and after market).

Cheers

RT

Fin, I watch what the racers are using for brands/set-ups...etc. When it comes time to buy gear for freecarving, I try to practically apply what is possible from the racers (usually SL decks). I don't get enough time on the mountain and lack the intestinal fortitude to push a 185 race deck around the mountain. I do, however, like the new race VSR deck shapes but of the freecarve variety.

My buying decisions, however, are usually based on brand loyalty, geek factor, quality, durability and availability. Some of the racer gear is hard to get and less than stellar quality. I am into gear that lasts.

Thanks for asking. Tom

10% or less of skiers carve, they have no idea what the concept is, no idea of what a ski is designed to do.

90%(-ec:lol:) or more of alpine riders carve, they have a very good idea of what a board on edge is doing.

The racers don't do anything everyone on an alpine board does, well other then not finish their turns.

Always paying attention to what's coming down the pike.

I do have an interest in what racers are doing, but it doesn't impact my buying decisions directly. My buying decisions are influenced by personal experience (demoing, testing), recommendations from a few individuals whose opinions I trust and whose tastes I know to be similar to mine, and occasionally, feedback from other serious recreational carvers who I don't know.

Not really I don't race nor can I afford the unobtanium that seem to be under most racers. If snowboarding were closer to motorcycle racing where we the rider could more easily ride on Monday the bikes raced on Sunday I might be interested.

My PGS-derived 185 is the perfect longboard. Hoping my new SG 163 will be the perfect short board.

However, my do-everything board is a 170/21/14, which would never be found in any race course.

Not really I don't race nor can I afford the unobtanium that seem to be under most racers. If snowboarding were closer to motorcycle racing where we the rider could more easily ride on Monday the bikes raced on Sunday I might be interested.

Don't worry, we couldn't afford those either! I think Donek, Coiler, and Prior are doing a great job of giving us more accessible race-derived tech.

Boards:

It's a pretty small percentage of recreational riders that use the same boards as the racers. The race boards seem to swing a little to far towards performance on the performance-durability scale. The technology crossover is great though! Much like car racing a few decades ago, some of the developments cross over really well to recreational boards.

Bindings:

It seems as though they get replaced fairly frequently (at least compared to recreational riders' bindings), so it comes down to the right amount of flexibility and/or sponsorship deals for the individual racer or team.

Boots:

They're on a different planet to me. I want to ride for 4 to 6 hours in comfortable boots, they ride for a few minutes at a time at maximum attack. I don't have the time or skills to tweak/shave/customize a boot over multiple days of riding, other than to eliminate pressure points.

Plates:

Very interesting! Again, some of the race stuff seems to sacrifice long-term durability for raw speed/weight. I'm watching intently to see how things pan out.

Overall, I have almost no interest in watching/following racing. I'd rather do than watch. I've debated joining a local ski team as the only snowboarder, but I decided I'd rather just play on the snow than get serious about it.

Fin, I'm not sure what your international business is like, but I'd be curious how the answers to this question change regionally outside of North America, or how they change based on the local hills access to regular pro and development training/ teams. Many of us probably look to our peers- and most of us rarely see other alpine riders, let alone a training pro team.

I think we are a very different market from the ski industry. Although most here might not have brand loyalty from racing, we are very tuned in to the technology going into race equipment. Racing is an important part of the scene and the technology from racing does influence what we buy (or would like buy to anyway).

its more about the trickle down tech than the specific brands. For Instance: Kessler isn't a great freeride board, but the trickle down tech of metal has influenced all of our buying decisions. Similarly, Sidewinders and plates started with the racers...who doesn't want a pair now?

I think that way racers push development is essential to drive progression at all levels...

I don't want a plate. Tried them, and I can imagine they are good for racing, but I have no desire to put another one of those things under my feet again.

Thanks for raining on my parade...

There's guy at my local hill riding an asym burton alp. he doesn't want one either!

:lol:

so maybe not everyone wants one!

i also watch different slope races, but i never care what the racers are using. to me, choosing gear comes down to two different types of people...the ones who know what there doing and know what gear they need and how to adjust it to suit them correctly,and the ones who just buy the newest and greatest, cause its the newest and greatest.and theres nothing wrong with buying the newest bad ass gear, cause its most likely going to work....the real question for me is how well will it work for me?

also, the gear bode miller uses will most likely not work for me..mostly because hes a professional racer and has the skills embedded into him from years of practice..granted i could ski his equipment, but it probably wont feel right..plus going 90mph on a typical ski run is pretty dangerous

"Exposure of new products" and a reluctance to try something different are the two major hurdles to overcome when trying to introduce new ideas or products (in my view) racers are willing and eager.(young and fearless) perfect for the task. Cant wait to see the reviews of Bombers thiner plate after ECES i'm willing to predict it will be a hit with anyone even (Jim Callen) who was not a fan of the stiffer plate.