Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

www.oldsnowboards.com

Latest test with the Gizmos,

Hard snow,I would even say East Coast conditions yesterday. Firm ,scratchy spots a few bonafide ice patches barely got to freezing the night before, so the groom didn’t set well and you could feel the hard layer underneath. Some runs were still pretty easy to grip. Anyways, not usual Utah conditions.

Set up JPs Gizmos with 1/2 isolators, TD3 SW stepins on top.Stack height of the Gizmos with the 1/2 tall isolators and plate is 18 mm.

This has felt like the best they have worked for me so far. I’ve been screwing around with them for 3 or 4 seasons. Good isolation from the harsh vibrations and rough snow, but not so gushy as to lose too much feel. This is a Caddy like ride though.My knees felt great after this session ( 2 Hrs of hard riding) and they felt great last night and today. Much less inflammation than the last few days of riding( I’ve been working though a knee injury).

If you’re not familiar with the Gizmos, they are an isolation plate invented and developed by John Philkill (JP1 on Forum) that uses rubber isolators mounted between the plate and the board, so there is no “direct “ connection. In other words there are only the isolators between the board and the plates/ bindings. Isolators are connected to board with inserts in the board.

I see other isocline plates are putting bumpers between plate and board and the Geckos seem to be getting some good reviews also. Pokkis has also made a similar plate, but more like Geckos with posts between plate and board and bumpers along rails.

D68F0958-D313-4A2E-AFF5-99F0CE4E02D7.jpeg

07D25933-A66B-4335-9A38-DA2C9A2136EE.jpeg

Thanks JP. It’s been fun testing. 

Edited by digger jr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, digger jr said:

Hard snow,I would even say East Coast conditions yesterday. Firm ,scratchy spots a few bonafide ice patches barely got to freezing the night before, so the groom didn’t set well and you could feel the hard layer underneath. Some runs were still pretty easy to grip. Anyways, not usual Utah conditions.

Set up JPs Gizmos with 1/2 isolators, TD3 SW stepins on top.Stack height of the Gizmos with the 1/2 tall isolators and plate is 18 mm.

This has felt like the best they have worked for me so far. I’ve been screwing around with them for 3 or 4 seasons. Good isolation from the harsh vibrations and rough snow, but not so gushy as to lose too much feel. This is a Caddy like ride though.My knees felt great after this session ( 2 Hrs of hard riding) and they felt great last night and today. Much less inflammation than the last few days of riding( I’ve been working though a knee injury).

If you’re not familiar with the Gizmos, they are an isolation plate invented and developed by John Philkill (JP1 on Forum) that uses rubber isolators mounted between the plate and the board, so there is no “direct “ connection. In other words there are only the isolators between the board and the plates/ bindings. Isolators are connected to board with inserts in the board.

I see other isocline plates are putting bumpers between plate and board and the Geckos seem to be getting some good reviews also. Pokkis has also made a similar plate, but more like Geckos with posts between plate and board and bumpers along rails.

Awesome.  Glad to see a review of JP's Gizmos plates again.  BTW, does JP1 get some commissions from Apex 'Gecko' sale?  IMO, Apex's Gecko is a copycat of JP's Gizmos with some bling factors. 

1 hour ago, digger jr said:

This is a creative setup. I guess, it has some similarity with those F2 pads that were not too long lived. 
One would think that with the right durometer bushings the thick elastomer TD3 pad could be dropped out for a thinner TD2 version. Possibly the sidewinder is not required, either? 
Ultimately, the toe/heel blocks could be mounted directly to the Gizmo plate. Edit: oh, I see, been done already... 

6 minutes ago, BlueB said:

This is a creative setup. I guess, it has some similarity with those F2 pads that were not too long lived. 
One would think that with the right durometer bushings the thick elastomer TD3 pad could be dropped out for a thinner TD2 version. Possibly the sidewinder is not required, either? 
Ultimately, the toe/heel blocks could be mounted directly to the Gizmo plate. Edit: oh, I see, been done already... 

Yeah.  I remember the configuration (F2 bails only) on Sigi's visit plates before he started SG company. 

Edited by piusthedrcarve

7 hours ago, piusthedrcarve said:

Awesome.  Glad to see a review of JP's Gizmos plates again.  BTW, does JP1 get some commissions from Apex 'Gecko' sale?  IMO, Apex's Gecko is a copycat of JP's Gizmos with some bling factors. 

" Bling Factor " yes, True Isolation NO.  Bling is what sells...................

Edited by jp1
  • Like 1

JP1 asked me to test his Gizmos several years ago so I did. I mounted them to my BS 178 that I last raced in 2002. Yes, old race tech. I also mounted my TD1 binders for that really rough, stiff ride.

The Gizmos made that a super fun set up again. 

Well done John! When you coming back to Lovey?

Ink

On 1/15/2018 at 7:02 AM, pokkis said:

I've been playing again with long plate for change, and in process to compare between my own and VistFlex.
Main difference is mine is lighter and has longer axle spacing. Need plenty more test riding, but what i feel is good.

Looking this more for carving POV than racing.

lpl.jpg

Sorry, Rasta I missed seeing this one. Would you be able to show more picks, details? Looks nice. This was more what I was thinking. Inserts in board?

My stuff is now packed due flying back home tomorrow. Will shoot pics next week when home.

Basically it uses Allflex insert setup with some extra ones. Added some extra ones to inside of Allflexones. In reality i later changed my plans so i use extra centerones only to screw stompad when riding without plate.emmental.jpg.39b15680767044f91c8d9bdd85a

Edited by pokkis

1 hour ago, lafcadio said:

Love the Gizmo plates. I had Bruce build my Nirvana with mounting holes for the Gizmo plates. This reduces the weight as there’s no need for the bottom plate adapter for 4x4 insert pattern. 

??  That makes a big difference.

2 hours ago, lonbordin said:

Oops

:ices_ange

3 hours ago, pokkis said:

My stuff is now packed due flying back home tomorrow. Will shoot pics next week when home.

Basically it uses Allflex insert setup with some extra ones. Added some extra ones to inside of Allflexones. In reality i later changed my plans so i use extra centerones only to screw stompad when riding without plate.emmental.jpg.39b15680767044f91c8d9bdd85a

Good thing Bruce likes you. Is that new record 52 inserts ? :)

Thanks

4 hours ago, pokkis said:

Can you play dominoes with that?