Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

www.oldsnowboards.com

• 7 months later...

Sorry bout delay, been on carving for last 12 days :)

I'm using 6mm material for carving, 5mm for my wife and 5 mm for my soft setup.

Center holes are in 10mm steps to adjust stance and for toe and heel pieces i have on other plate angles 50 and 60 and on othere 55 and 65.
So that will cover all angles i use. Naturally they can be drilled to any required. She has only 50/55 and due her small boot size heel receiver is
Bomber one due it is shortest ( i would use that also but i have only one set).

Edited by pokkis

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't ridden my Bomber Boiler Plate 4mm Light in about a year and was thinking of selling it. 

Then yesterday, the local bump had its opening day. I assume they have a new groomer operator. Wow, like a Detroit street! Ice, holes, waves, ridges, you name it. It sucked. 

Then I remembered that I had the BP in the car. Put that on the trusty new (to me) Donek Rev 163 and had a great day! Well, I still fell a lot because now I was overconfident, but I went from thinking about going home early to riding for 3 more hours. If I could absorb enough with my knees to keep the board on the snow, it just worked. Once airborne, the plate didn't help at all! ;) Not the best start to my season, but a good day of learning. 

My plate is not for sale, sorry! 

• Like 4

Well said Corey and Sun Surfer!!!     So early season I decided to use another board to make sure I didn't damage my favorite Tinkler Alpine board.   After riding around for an hour or so I was getting banged around and decided the conditions looked good enough to get the board that was set up with a full system plate .  It just smoothed it out so well I was back to enjoying the groomers like it was hero snow again!!   It works so well , I am spoiled!! Bryan

On 12/8/2016 at 6:27 AM, corey_dyck said:

From the Netherlands: 

sanki2-620x465.jpg 

http://www.snowchamps.nl/nieuws/de-sanki-voegt-een-verende-ophanging-toe-aan-je-snowboard

Put that URL into translate.google.com.  Looks interesting but I can't get to the translation at the moment.  

With some modifications I think this is a valid concept.    I would lower it,  probably turn one of the leaf springs around and incorporate a "Sliding Mount" to one end.  Thinner plate, probably without a slit in it to start.   Definitely too much leverage against a soft boot set up.   I think this has some validity.  

On 12/26/2016 at 11:35 AM, corey_dyck said:

For me, it's not a matter of not knowing that a plate would help; it's a matter that I don't like the numb/disconnected feel for 95% of my riding. 

It'll stay in my car for those 5% of situations. 

Try setting it up next time with fixed axle at the front, between the ball of your foot and the last bone in your big toe. Set the rear axle so that, if possible, the bindings are equidistant from the plate centre and their nearest axle. This gives a very direct feel under the front foot. For many riders this will mean setting their plate at the maximum interaxle distance their UPM/4X4 inserts can manage.

I now have a number of old boards with an extra set of inserts to allow a UPM plate to have a 68cm interaxle distance.

Edited by SunSurfer
Add detail

• 1 year later...

Bringing topic back to life....

I have checked the slow motions of last Worldcup races and the massive use of Allflex plates...

Now the boards don't even bend in an arc because they are blocked by the plate...and the design of the races has evolved to a less curvy path where the riders just throw the boards from side to side parallel to the slope's direction... ( I admire the skills/fitness/ training / stamina it takes to do it, but I find it not very sexy/stylish...)

I think we are going again in the direction where plates are going to be less usable for the recreational riders that want to arc tight turns, or see a separation from racing plates and freecarver's plates ( for those who uses them ( still lots don't because they are heavy, too high...))..

what's your thought about it?

Nils

The most limiting factor ( i believe ) in the understanding and acceptance of the original  hinge and slide concept of a plate is the ability  of most to actually try one in both good and bad conditions without having to spend many $$$  and time invested. For those who ride ideal conditions there isn't much of an incentive to improve  ones ability to ride in less than ideal conditions. For we ice coasters  the  opportunity to ride adverse conditions should be an incentive to own a dedicated board with a plate. As far as considering the Gecko's as an alternative to a  tradition plate i consider it  more of a dampener . The principal  idea behind a true hinge and slide plate it to allow a board to do what it's designer has designed it to do without creating flat areas that contact the snow and alter the true geometry of the boards design. Brian's image of the above plate suggests to me that it's ride would  create the diving board effect perhaps ok for trained racers (even usable as a tool in ones quiver ) but not ideal for recreational use. I would encourage anyone who rides in less than ideal conditions to aquire a plate and use it when everyone says the conditions are poor due to either ice or chop.

2 hours ago, nils said:

I have checked the slow motions of last Worldcup races and the massive use of Allflex plates...

Now the boards don't even bend in an arc because they are blocked by the plate...

The Allflex plate center linkage seems to be designed to lock out with very little board deflection.  Like a flex limiter.  Maybe it keeps the board from bending too far?  Doesn't seem like a feature I'd want when freecarving.  The new Vist plate appears to have something similar to limit how far the center of the board can bend away from the plate before the plate also starts bending.  

1 hour ago, lowrider said:

The most limiting factor ( i believe ) in the understanding and acceptance of the original  hinge and slide concept of a plate is the ability  of most to actually try one in both good and bad conditions without having to spend many $$$  and time invested.

That's exactly what led to me buying a Donek plate!  I rode with one for about half a day in Aspen in a day with many slush piles.  It was ok.  Then I returned the plate and went out for another run as the Demo tent was shutting down.  OMG, I didn't know how much the plate was helping!  Before, I was arcing all over, but without the plate I was having to work exponentially harder to carve.  I called Sean with my credit card # immediately.  

2 hours ago, nils said:

Bringing topic back to life....

Now the boards don't even bend in an arc because they are blocked by the plate...and the design of the races has evolved to a less curvy path where the riders just throw the boards from side to side parallel to the slope's direction... ( I admire the skills/fitness/ training / stamina it takes to do it, but I find it not very sexy/stylish...)

I think we are going again in the direction where plates are going to be less usable for the recreational riders that want to arc tight turns, or see a separation from racing plates and freecarver's plates ( for those who uses them ( still lots don't because they are heavy, too high...))..

what's your thought about it?

Nils

Bryan (oldsnowboard.com) posted an interesting article from AllBoardSports in Alpine Snowboard Trader in FB.  http://allboardssports.com/updated-thoughts-on-snowboard-plates-alpine-snowboard-plates/     Interesting to see what comes after PyongChang Olympic.

Now the boards don't even bend in an arc because they are blocked by the plate...

I had Allflex plate and I liked it and hated it at same time. With the plate, you need to be always charging as it makes the board very stiff. Where the plate shined is through crud, ice condition or when you are charging hard. I could not justify keeping it as I am freecarver and not racer so I sold it. Also it was heavy so I didn't want to have that all day under my feet :p. 

That's exactly what led to me buying a Donek plate!  I rode with one for about half a day in Aspen in a day with many slush piles.  It was ok.  Then I returned the plate and went out for another run as the Demo tent was shutting down.  OMG, I didn't know how much the plate was helping!  Before, I was arcing all over, but without the plate I was having to work exponentially harder to carve.  I called Sean with my credit card # immediately

Corey, are you talking about F plate or A plate?

Edited by yamifumi

5 minutes ago, yamifumi said:

Corey, are you talking about F plate or A plate?

That was an A-plate: https://www.donek.com/product/a-plate/

I haven't ridden an F or Vist plate yet.  

EDIT: I've only ridden Donek and Bomber plates.  Would like to try the others but not really planning to buy so I won't waste anyone's time.