Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

www.oldsnowboards.com

So.... what are the benefits/effects of the diffrerent locking/floating scenarios of the VIST plate? What are most people doing? Locking the center and floating front and rear?

I'm going to put one on a 2010 SG Sl board with the VIST holes drilled stock.

Has anyone tried all the diff combinations and are able to comment on the differences these make?

Can a guy get as wide as a 20.5" stance width?

Thanks in advance for the expertise.

K

So.... what are the benefits/effects of the diffrerent locking/floating scenarios of the VIST plate? What are most people doing? Locking the center and floating front and rear?

I'm going to put one on a 2010 SG Sl board with the VIST holes drilled stock.

Has anyone tried all the diff combinations and are able to comment on the differences these make?

Can a guy get as wide as a 20.5" stance width?

Thanks in advance for the expertise.

K

Hi Kurt, most are locking the rear, floating the front. Although some lock the middle and float both ends. Probably more accurate to say "Slide" rather than "Float". Although I think we all understand the concept.

I prefer having the rear or center locked. I think I will pass on why. Bomber forum has been a little too quick to pounce and make something out of nothing these days. I don't care to have this thread turn into a "child screaming for attention scene" like so many have recently. I recommend trying the combinations and deciding for yourself. One of the beauties of the Vist plate. It is easy to change it up.

Yes, it will go wider than that. Very adjustable. The center holes are pretty easy to establish, although it is sweet to already have them in the board (like SG does) , you can simply use a ski type mounting screw. The load is primarily a shear load. In mine, I just pre-drill a small hole and run the screw in through the Vist hardware. The other inserts already being installed makes this quite easy. Forms a jig or template automatically.

FYI. This is a heavy slab of precision cut plastic. Some of my favorite boards are narrower than the Vist. Although they are such that it causes no drag issue, one can shave it down if you like. I don't believe this would be an issue as long as you didn't get carried away. The connecting blocks under the metal top plates are asymetrical (offset) to allow for a number of different lengths between inserts in the snowboard. The top plates can be moved fore and aft quite a bit to allow for even further adjustment. Simple and well thought out.

More photos, this time of as much detail as we have of the hinge mechanism at this stage.

All shots of this plate in action have the attachment points obscured.

Not all the plates are short to the rear. JJA has used a plate with a rear extension this season in the lead up to the Olympics.

post-7136-141842301822_thumb.jpg

post-7136-141842301823_thumb.jpg

post-7136-141842301824_thumb.jpg

Those shots come from the video... just simple screen grabs.

More photos, this time of as much detail as we have of the hinge mechanism at this stage.

All shots of this plate in action have the attachment points obscured.

Not all the plates are short to the rear. JJA has used a plate with a rear extension this season in the lead up to the Olympics.

bobdea / the system Klug is using according to another racer, a hangl with a single composite replacing the big aluminium plates

Close, A Tinkler custom "One Off" plate made for Klug. Multiple versions have been built. The are "Active" plates and heavy mods on the Hangl.

Which is NOT the same as Tyler's. The key is fitting the system to the rider.

how much does something like that go for if you already have the hangls.

I like the one surface idea.

and I have a set of hangls

Hi Bob. I think I posted a range on another post. It ranges depending on design, shapes, materials, amount of developmental work, Etc.

325$ to 550$ approximately. 1/2 down places the order in the production timeline. Exceptions for WC riders. I can tell you that this window of opportunity for a custom built plate from Mike may be closing soon.

Note: Part of Mike's work does involve the Hangl mods. It is not required, however, it definitely effects the outcome.

Agree

SunSurfer:

Not so good comparison. The riders were in different stages of their turns.

Catch what I mean? Your photos do not support your position, just pay attention to the nose of the boards and you can catch my drift. I hate internet analysis but just thought I'll pass this along.

Bola

http://www.allboardssports.com

SunSurfer:

Not so good comparison. The riders were in different stages of their turns.

Catch what I mean? Your photos do not support your position, just pay attention to the nose of the boards and you can catch my drift. I hate internet analysis but just thought I'll pass this along.

Bola

http://www.allboardssports.com

I agree here also.

Ink

APEX Composites.

No no, I meant BEFORE the APEX Composites plate. I can't recall him ever riding a VIST. Only HANGLs, and before that, nothing at all.

Also, based on what he's wearing there (shorts/pads/boots), I thought that was the APEX Composites plate that he's on, and not the VIST? I can't see it very well.

post-2456-141842301921_thumb.jpg

post-2456-141842301923_thumb.jpg

post-2456-141842301925_thumb.jpg

No no, I meant BEFORE the APEX Composites plate. I can't recall him ever riding a VIST. Only HANGLs, and before that, nothing at all.

Also, based on what he's wearing there (shorts/pads/boots), I thought that was the APEX Composites plate that he's on, and not the VIST? I can't see it very well.

True, before Apex he rode Hangl and nothing. But like most racers trying to find an advantage I would bet that he has tried all of the more common plates and some not as common in search of what works best for him.

Ink