Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

www.oldsnowboards.com

Most intersting is that axle-to-axle width is fixed and both bindings are deeply between axles (as in yours).

What is ride compared to have rear foot over axle?

Would be interesting to see of base side of that X-plate.

Very nice and tempting setup anyway.

Edited by pokkis

The greater the interaxle distance the greater the bending forces on the plate from the riders weight, and downweighting, when in use.

The counter to that is how strongly you believe in the value of being able to "pedal" (twist) the plate vs. the value of increasing the torsional stiffness of the snowboard between the axles.

I am in the maximise torsional stiffness camp.

I have a 4mm BBP to play with, but I'd love to play/modify with a 5mm BBP.

Edited by SunSurfer

That might be reason they use bushings between plate and board to avoid plate hitting top of board.

It is tempting to tinker that kind of setup, but not sure if i have time for it too, some other devs ongoing.

And need to check if i have any plate thin enogh to keep stack height low.

There is something runnning diagonally under the plate under each set of binding inserts, attached by the 4 bolts that have no obvious purpose in attaching the plate to the mechanicals underneath. Guessing this is some kind of torsion resistance / reinforcement, but in the absence of photos showing what's actually there. Does anyone know, have photos

There is something runnning diagonally under the plate under each set of binding inserts, attached by the 4 bolts that have no obvious purpose in attaching the plate to the mechanicals underneath. Guessing this is some kind of torsion resistance / reinforcement, but in the absence of photos showing what's actually there. Does anyone know, have photos?t.

binding torsion bar? guess it depends if the plate is set up for a regular or goofy.

Look like bumpers to compensate for twist in the plate, able to be configured for either regular or goofy riders.

The real problem with going so low is impingement with the cambered centre of the board while retaining the torsion box construction in the middle of the plate.

Maybe plates need to get this kind of side profile. Flat part for bindings at either end, cambered in the middle to allow thickening for strength while allowing clearance for the board's camber.

post-2036-0-65697600-1460456174_thumb.jp

Interesting stuff as always!  Sean from Donek spoke very favorably about the increased pivot distance of the Allflex mounting pattern and its interaction with natural board vibration nodes/harmonics.  The bumpers under the bindings would allow direct power transmission to the board while it's cambered or the board and plate are bent the same amount.  Everyone at ATC that rode the Donek prototype plate with the Allflex pivot locations raved about it, so they're onto something there.  

This makes me want to play with wider spacing on my 4mm Lite BP, along with installing similar bumpers close to the bindings in an effort to increase board feel.  I did not ride the plate once this season and was debating selling it, but now I want to try extending the axle spacing.  I think that can be done with some simple steel strips (as a proof of concept) as I recall that I wasn't using the forward-most inserts in the 4x4 pattern of the board.  

In theory, the addition of bumpers contacting the board could act like a naked board in large radius turns, while skidding, and on cat tracks, but offer full isolation when the board decambers into a tighter turn.  Sounds like the best of both worlds!  

Alan, you could easily add bumpers/blocks in the narrowest UPM holes on the plate with your existing design to test this effect. 

Did they attach any floatation (foam bits, ziploc bags?) stuff to the sk8boards?! In my experience of having a sk8board go under [drainage ditches, usually], they sink, quick too. I'd hate to have to comb the surf-spot to find the board later. 

And, Softtrucks would've been my pick, as seawater is tough on bearings, axles and the like...

This makes me want to play with wider spacing on my 4mm Lite BP, along with installing similar bumpers close to the bindings in an effort to increase board feel.  I did not ride the plate once this season and was debating selling it, but now I want to try extending the axle spacing.  I think that can be done with some simple steel strips (as a proof of concept) as I recall that I wasn't using the forward-most inserts in the 4x4 pattern of the board.  

In theory, the addition of bumpers contacting the board could act like a naked board in large radius turns, while skidding, and on cat tracks, but offer full isolation when the board decambers into a tighter turn.  Sounds like the best of both worlds!  

Alan, you could easily add bumpers/blocks in the narrowest UPM holes on the plate with your existing design to test this effect. 

I had a look at my plate last night.  It's not as simple as I'd hoped.  I would need to make a new 4x4 or UPM mount for the board to stretch the axles that far.  I'm not going to dive that deep into this experiment, but rather will sit back and watch Donek and Alan's efforts with great interest.  

However, adding bumpers on the narrowest UPM mount holes on the plate to bear on the board like the pictures of the new Apex plate is very reasonable to do with little work.  Someone had posted pictures of a Tinkler plate with a bumper and a jackscrew behind the front bindings.  My hope is adding these bumpers will bring back some snow 'feel' in non-carving situations that full-isolation plates are infamous for removing.  I suspect that's part of what's going on in the Donek AF and the Allflex plates.  

Latest Gizmo setup. Direct mounted F2 toe and heel pieces to the Gizmo plate. Lighter and lower. The plate is 25.4 mm tall with the 3/4" tall isolators and now stack hieght is about 5mm higher than a Sidewinder with the F2s. Had Bruce put in 8 isolator inserts per binding to experiment with different configurations . Mounted on a 170 Energy with torsion +. Have been riding it with TD2s, it's a smooth ride. Hope to it try out this last weekend at Solitude with the F2s on.

Nice to see people experimenting with different plates.

post-2208-0-79180600-1460601903_thumb.jp

post-2208-0-87380600-1460602921_thumb.jp

post-2208-0-26353400-1460603136_thumb.jp

Here carbon version using 4*4 inserts and (current) total height of 20mm.

Angle range (what i need) 65-50 and stance adjust with 1cm steps.

Mainly used on slalom board to get weight savings to long plate.

Edited by pokkis

Thanks Pokkis. The Gizmos let you move around quite a bit and feels like the board flexes freely. The rubber isolators are pretty flexible (50 durometer?) Do you get that same feeling? Looks like your might be stiffer/ more solid? I guess the difference may be the Gizmos only are connected to the board by the isolators. What fun! So you just bought some carbon fiber plate and cut it up and drilled it yourself? Pretty easy to do?

Edited by digger jr

>> Oh it's a milled metal riser post?

btw, for pilars this is goos source, you can get pretty any length you need:

http://apexfasteners.com/fasteners/screw-machine-products/spacers-and-standoffs/standoffs/female-female-standoffs/hex-standoffs/6.0mm-hex-female-female-standoff?cPath=433_434_437&

Edited by pokkis