Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

www.oldsnowboards.com

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm on a 171 Kessler GS and a 154 Kessler SL and looking for something that would be appropriate for a first plate for a 70kg girl. I've heard a VIST plate would be good, but I've also heard that it's quite heavy. If anyone has any recommendations or anything, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

I was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm on a 171 Kessler GS and a 154 Kessler SL and looking for something that would be appropriate for a first plate for a 70kg girl. I've heard a VIST plate would be good, but I've also heard that it's quite heavy. If anyone has any recommendations or anything, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Sounds like you might be racing?

The Vist is very good the only drawbacks are weight and setup. However, you can lighten the Vist with the V Disc from Apex, it replaces the Aluminum plate with Carbon fiber. The Vist also stiffens the board in the places it contacts, of course, but it is very smooth and easy to ride and responsive on edge transition and has a direct feel that you lose with some plates. You can also set it up in a few different ways (back foot sliding, both slide, front foot slide) which is kind of cool. There is also the Donek F Plate which works in a very similar way at a much lower weight. The Donek is easier to set up and can be moved across boards quickly with only eight screws. The Donek is slightly taller but not noticeable it is also softer which is nice for some people. I ride and race with the Donek in USASA and the Nor-Am tour and I am very happy with it, it is light, cheaper, and easier to get than VIST. You could also look into the Kessler World Cup plate I can not say much about it because I don't own one and have never rode it but I can say it works the same way as VIST and F plate but it does have one nice feature of adjustable width so it will fit your board width perfect it would also match with your Kesslers :)

Take a look over this thread. You might find it interesting.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?41709-Anyone-running-a-plate-for-slalom

To summarize :-

- VIST plate (or no plate) seems to be a popular choice for Slalom. I had good success abandoning using a plate for Slalom this year. I'm trying a VIST next season, and will report back then.

- Some form of full isolation plate works well for GS. I like the 4mm Bomber Boiler Plate.

To my eyes, there isn't a one plate optimal solution for these 2 types of boards, and there is a considerable amount of work to move the plate from one board to another.

• 9 months later...

OK, finally had time to shoot some proper pictures of my Simple-man Carving Floating Plate Mechanics (SCFPM) version 1.5 :ices_ange

Total height to top of plate with that plate is 20mm, with thinner one 18mm.

Been now with these for two full season and quite happy, next project for something else is ongoing :eek:

1~0.jpg

2~0.jpg

3~0.jpg

• Like 1

Nice design solution to get the plate between the axles, rather than above. When the plate is in use and the board is bending, do you get contact/leverage between the outer edges of the base and plate metal parts, especially at the sliding end? How much wear do you get with essentially unlubricated steel on steel bearings?

Contact, pretty same ammount as with my 5mm Boomber plate.

normal_bpp.jpg

Wear, i run with one set of screws one season, bout 50+ days,

then need to change screw. And turn lower part of front lower sliding part. 

I like still to ride my Bomber plate. If it would have same ammount adjustment as on mine it would be killer for me :1luvu:

EDIT: on Bomber wear is on plate, on my own mechs, wear is low part of plate mechs (as visible on first picture), so both cases no wear on board, just to clarify.

Edited by pokkis

• 4 weeks later...

More like a new binding design, but a thought provoking idea never the less.

Is the apparent offset of heel and toe pieces to match the boot centre to the board centre line, or, for Gilmour bias i.e. the toe as close to the edge as possible with this binding?

• 9 months later...

The dimensions of the UPM insert pattern must be in here somewhere?

UPM pattern:

http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/PDFs/UPMPatternDrawingv1.jpg

DIY plate hole pattern to match Boiler Plate

http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/pdfs/BP%20Mount%20Pattern%20v1.pdf

Edited by SunSurfer

Thanks Alan!! Much appreciated , I looked for about a half hour using the "Working Well" internal search engine.    BOL is dEEP :) 

• 4 months later...

A while ago Bruce Varsava made me a 180cm NSR with a set of extra front and rear plate mount inserts, each pair 4cm beyond the standard UPM pattern. I've finally got round to making up the concept I had in mind when I asked for them, an evolution of the my original isocline plate design that I've ridden for the last 4 years. The result takes a 4mm BBP and stretches out the interaxle distance, at rest position, to 74cm. The 4cm distance between the mounting screws allows the slide unit to have 1.4cm of travel. The stack height of the plate is 21.5mm at both axles. The axles are 8mm solid 304 stainless steeI, the bushings and plastic supports are UHMWPE, the aluminium extrusion around each axle is designed for making hinges and has an 8mm diameter pin socket. There is no impingement of plate on the mounts at even unrealistic amounts of board flex because the plate projects only 3mm beyond the line of the axle, at both ends, and sits 3mm above the axle frame. Nor does the design interfere with the camber of the board, although the bottom of the BBP clears the board surface by 3mm at the waist of the board.

I mount my isolation plates with the fixed axle at the front. I get to ride this in mid-August.

post-2036-0-19308700-1459670705_thumb.jp

post-2036-0-73103100-1459670826_thumb.jp

post-2036-0-47038300-1459670840_thumb.jp

post-2036-0-42106100-1459670851_thumb.jp

post-2036-0-99502800-1459670862_thumb.jp

post-2036-0-67582900-1459670875_thumb.jp

post-2036-0-52829400-1459670901_thumb.jp

Edited by SunSurfer

Alan glad to see you taking  up this  challenge to complete an important step in determining where and how placement of plate influences the board.  I know we had discussed this a couple of years ago and were it not for me getting sidetracked with my skwals the last couple of years i might have gotten around to it as well. Season is over here for me so your reports back on the results will be my only medication till next season. Good Luck !

Edited by lowrider

Hi Pat,

The NSR is now a testbed for trying to work out if I can tell the difference as I play out the options around interaxle distance and whcih way round to mount an isocline plate. My modified 4mm BBP and the NSR are the constants.

My working hypotheses -

1/ Slide at the front gives a more solid underfoot feel, giving less sense of lag/delay/slop in response.

2/ The ball of the rider's front foot should be between the axles, or at farthest forward over the front axle. It should not be in front of the front axle.

2a: The ideal front foot weight point is over the front axle. This, plus stance width, and having the bindings evenly placed between the axles, leads to calculating the optimal interaxle distance for a given rider.

3/ Greater interaxle distance gives torsional/twisting resistance to a greater proportion of the effective edge. Question: Is the gain in torsional resistance worth moving the front axle further forward, and away from the ball of the front foot.

I have two weeks planned in Central Otago for mid August. As well as this stuff to work on, I'll be able to take the full collection of boards (12)/boots(Heads, Raichle 323, Dalbello Rampage) & bindings(Bomber/F2 Intec, Snowpro Race (std bails), to play around with 'cause I'm driving rather than flying down. I should be completely confused but blissed out by the end!

Alan

The Apex Composites X-Plate

http://www.apexsnowboard.com/x-plate.html

Cutouts in the carbonfibre plate allow the plate to sit between the axles, while minimal plate overhang beyond the axles prevents impingement. The mounts on the board apply the turning forces closer to the edges than the Bomber plate.

The metal in the hinge/hinge-slide mechanism is reduced to a minimum, compared to say the Bomber version.

They state the plate top is just 15mm above the board and total weight 1500g. UPM & 4x4 mounts available.

Axle diameter, whether solid/hollow, and bushings detail not available.

There is something runnning diagonally under the plate under each set of binding inserts, attached by the 4 bolts that have no obvious purpose in attaching the plate to the mechanicals underneath. Guessing this is some kind of torsion resistance / reinforcement, but in the absence of photos showing what's actually there. Does anyone know, have photos?

This is the way I would have loved to build an isocline plate. To my mind this design concept maximises the geometry to achieve isolation while minimising height.

post-2036-0-55494500-1460445395_thumb.jp

post-2036-0-80777500-1460445396_thumb.jp

post-2036-0-85353800-1460445397_thumb.jp

post-2036-0-87506100-1460445398_thumb.jp