Note to New Members ×

To self tune or not ?

Sultan Guy

So here is an issue that most everyone on this forum has to deal with. Do you invest in a full set of tuning tools and learn yourself or just pay a good local shop to keep your board in top shape? At the moment all I have is an old crappy $5 house iron I bought used and some wax scrapers.

Looking through the Tongar catalog I am overwhelmed at the vast selection and cost of a full on tuning setup. $$ :eek:

Is there an intermediate approach that makes sense?

I tune my own at home. Mostly because the other option is sending out to NYC tuning shops and I don't trust any of them to do a decent job. I like tuning at home, get some good music going, a few beers. Otherwise, I send them out to good shops whenever I can and I'm in VT or CO.

I've always done my own wax and edges, the only thing I don't do on my own is a base grind. Although one time I took my board down some sand dunes during the summer and it actually did a fairly nice job but I wouldn't rely on that result every time. I'm actually pondering taking one of my boards in to the shop because of the seriousness of this particular job. You can get tuning tools and if you follow the directions you can get a decent tune with not too much practice and when you get the hang of it I find it enjoyable to spend the evening before hitting the slopes with some videos, beer, wax, iron, files, and making a night of it.

Go here for tuning tools

http://www.the-house.com/tools.html

Like many here, I do my own tunes in terms of waxing and edge work, as well as basic base repair.

I learned to do my own tunes from my experiences as a snowboard rep- I had to make sure that a demo fleet was GTG for the next demo day, and sometimes the tuning shops were few and far between....

I have my local ski/snowboard shop do basegrinds and any core shot repairs. The challenge is finding a good ski-tech who has enough experience and skill to not overdo your boards. I've had some bad early experiences with local shops who basically ground down the edges of my boards to less than 1/16" - I was seriously unimpressed....

My basic home tuning gear consists of:

-Flea market iron circa 1960- great temperature control, and a flat base with NO steam iron holes

- Set of BEAST brand file guides for base and edge work

- various flat files

- 2 small DMT sharpening stones, in medium and fine grit

- 6" and 8" stainless steel scrapers - ground to sharp angles

- Toko nylon structure brush

- flouro and non-flouro glide wax

- stainless steel true bar

I did two last night and I'll do another two tonight. Big bucks if I take them to a shop and no guarantee on quality, It is way worth it. As already stated by others, proper tools are essential, although my iron isn't perfect but it worlks fine, and start with a board you are least attached to. Practice on it three times before you tune your babies.

This link here, http://www.alpinecarving.com/tuning.html , really helped me out a lot.

What Tex and Gecko said.

I'll add that turning a rock board ts trickier than tuning a "good" board... the more messed up a board is, the more work it takes to correct it. When you can make a noticeable positive difference in the ride of your rock boards, you're most likely ready to tune your good gear... but use a lighter hand on your good stuff, as you don't want to take off too much edge :-)

We're really talking about taking care of rock damage with a diamond stone, keeping the side edges sharp, and waxing.

We're not really talking about flattening the base, structuring the base, setting the base bevel, or setting the side bevel-this stuff gets done once in a great while at the shop.

So you need a diamond stone, a side file guide, and a way to wax, scrape, and brush (or just wax and brush with this kind of thing http://www.alpineskituning.com/raysway.waxwhiz.htm)

Oh yeah, something to put the board on when you're working on it too.

So yes, definitely, you need to learn these skills and buy this stuff but it'll be easy and not cost that much. And it will be SO WORTH IT!! Honest :)

What Tex and Gecko, MikeT, The Fastguy and everyone else above said :D.

Don't get scared from the prices of all tools. First, you are not gonna buy everything at once. Start building a quiver and get stuff one by one. It will really pay off, pretty quickly. It's a lot of fun actually working on your board.

Alo, look for someone local to you who has tools and experience. You could hook up and start learning.

Good luck :biggthump!

• 4 weeks later...

Treat your edges like a fine knife. Once the edge angle is defined you should be able to maintain the sharpness by honing and polishing (maintenance).

I have my boards ground, which should establish a flat base and set your edge angles; for me, it's 0.5 degrees on the base and 2 degrees on the edges. Next, the boards are hot-boxed at the same shop.

From there I will use the Wax Wizzard on the base and POLISH the edges. I do not tinker with the base metal. For the sides, I use a 2 degree guide and spring clamp to hold the files and employ a series of 4 diamond files of ascending courseness followed lastly with an Arkansas whetstone.

http://www.tognar.com/deburr_tips_edge_polish_repais_ski_snowboard.html

i was struggling with the same issues, and i only spent around 500 and i got everything i needed. but i think you must consider down time. i only have a few boards in my quiver, so i don't always have a proper back up board. and the local shops here are backed up for a couple days sometimes, some don't do work on weekends. so for me, to do the work which really doesn't take that much time its worth it. The tools pay themselves off eventually.

Tuning your board is the only way to understand how the machine works. Its always worth your investment in time to learn how to do it properly. Try not to overcomplicate it, its not rocket science but you definately need to invest in the proper tools to get the job done porperly.

Think Snow!

Check out http://www.racewax.com/

... very informative site with all the goods at reasonable prices

It doesn't take much in the way of tools to keep your board running smooth

Start with the basics (debur and wax) and work your way from there

... basic tools (files and stones) can also be found at the local hardware store

This is a great question.

If you can, self-tuning (at least basic) is wonderful. Indeed, basic tuning (as snowman, TVR and everyone else is noting) is a great way to get in "tune" with your gear. The basic stuff is not too $$$.

That said, my home circumstances don't allow me to self-tune any longer (meaning downtown condo). For better or for worse, this is a cost/benefit issue for me. At least I know the two guys who tune for me, and they know my boards and how I want them tuned/de-tuned, etc.

Good luck.