Note to New Members ×

How do you keep your boards ?

Surf Quebec

We live in a 1000 sq ft. 2 bedroom condo in the heart of downtown Vancouver- the only outside storage I have is a small 10X10 storage locker in the basement of our building.

Once the boards are all tuned up, I keep them packed in 3 separate board bags that are stored in the locker- I organize the quiver bags by function- one bag holds just freeride boards, the second has the carving boards, and the third bag holds the racing GS boards.

I have storage envy when I get to see the well organized garages and gear rooms of my local carving crew friends....

The most artistic one that I have seen is my buddy Tony Yau's set up.

His three boards are mounted high on the wall in his loft with a professional racking system that is used in high end board shops- they are displayed like the functional pieces of art that they are....

Check it out:

Geo

post-546-141842292055_thumb.jpg

I have an unfinished basement, so I screwed some Eye-bolts into the bottom of the exposed joists at various spacing to accommodate different length boards. Then I ran threaded rod through the eyebolts with polyflow tubing over the threads (so it wouldn't damage boards) and nylock nuts to prevent them coming apart. Just slide the board up and over the back rod and over the front rod and let them hang (topsheet down to preserve camber & loaded with storage wax). Works great for me :biggthump hope that explanation works (I'm not good at sending pictures, which would make it far to simple).

jp1

Dang, after seeing crucible's post, I want to delete mine. That IS SWEET !

Adjustable shelving. :biggthump

Good boards I hang upside down to maintian camber, older "dead" ones I put on top. Usualy they dont have a lot of extra crap on them... but I was getting prepped for the season so I could grab and go......

Mothernature has not been so cooperative thus far and Im on a "holding patern" now for a month argh....

:mad:

at this rate, Colorado SES will be the first snow I get on!

EDIT: and yes the rides sit on the wall next to my bed also ;)

post-2724-141842292059_thumb.jpg

The most artistic one that I have seen is my buddy Tony Yau's set up.

His three boards are mounted high on the wall in his loft with a professional racking system that is used in high end board shops- they are displayed like the functional pieces of art that they are....

That is such a great idea. I am in awe.

Love the skull over your beauties too Al. I don't think I will be so lucky to have them in the bedroom that still gives me some good ideas.

:biggthump

Garage clip shows the board and boot rack. The overlapping boards on the r/hand side are still on another rack in L formation to the main one. That one has larger spacing between "fingers" so it can store mounted boards.

Oldies are on the home-office wall as the art.

post-1678-141842292063_thumb.jpg

post-1678-141842292065_thumb.jpg

I like to hang'em on the wall in one piece.

Glad this thread came along as I'm just now trying to decide what type of rack to build in the wax room. $40 per board x a dozen boards NOT. this unemployed carpenter with a pile of scrap in the garage will spend about 15 minutes per board.

I like the idea of display but have very limited space so I'll end up with something like Al's rack and maybe display a couple near the ceiling with a home made board grabbers.

I'll post a pic when I'm done converting the spare bedroom.

It's hard to pack a lot of boards in a small space when you like to keep bindings on all of them, so I just stand them up against a wall in my garage. Of course, you just have to arrange your garage to have enough wall space for boards (see below). I added a head board to keep the wall dry, and I put wooden pegs in it at appropriate intervals so they can't fall sideways in a chain reaction.

Water ski racks work well if your bindings are low profile (e.g. hardboot bindings or boards without bindings). The racks in this picture are available on eBay here. They are $12.49 plus $6.50 shipping. With the racks, I had to put a half inch wooden spacer between them and the wall to keep the snowboard tips from touching the wall. They're easy, and you can double up putting two boards base-to-base.

Now I only use my snowboard bags for travel. :)

post-1861-14184229268_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's hard to pack a lot of boards in a small space when you like to keep bindings on all of them, so I just stand them up against a wall in my garage. Of course, you just have to arrange your garage to have enough wall space for boards (see below). I added a head board to keep the wall dry, and I put wooden pegs in it at appropriate intervals so they can't fall sideways in a chain reaction.

Water ski racks work well if your bindings are low profile (e.g. hardboot bindings or boards without bindings). The racks in this picture are available on eBay here. They are $12.49 plus $6.50 shipping. With the racks, I had to put a half inch wooden spacer between them and the wall to keep the snowboard tips from touching the wall. They're easy, and you can double up putting two boards base-to-base.

Now I only use my snowboard bags for travel. :)

Man, I've seen many a snowboard shop that wasn't as well merchandised as your storage area.

Nice job....!

I keep my girls on a rack that my Father made...(ex carpenter)

cost like $20 to make and preserves the unloaded camber of them all...

Broomstick rack ends have pipe insulation on them to stop scratches on the topsheet, and they're either covered in their plastic storage bags or covered with cotton sheets. All have summer wax on them...And no bindings installed.

Note the top rack has two 178's ( An R17 and FP)

2nd row a 164FP

3rd row 160 Freeride

4th row 155 freeride

Steve

post-3368-14184229273_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

Related but different. I am looking for suggestions on minimalistic methods of mounting boards on the wall vertically. These are boards on display, not to be removed often.

Best I have come up with so far it using a brick molding for a bottom shelf and two clear mirror clips. Keep in mind the price will be multiplied by a hundred or so. In other words it would be cost prohibitive to use 20$ mounts.

Got this from a post on VST on facebook. Very nice way to mount boards vertically

~ 2x4/2x6 or in this case a split of this old Sierra Sugar Pine limb cut with an old style lumber mill saw as the ledger board for the decks to hang on (left it in natural state, no paint/stain)

~ Per board to be hung: two 50 cent lag bolts & a 5 cent piece of vinyl tube hose (to protect the edges from the bolt threads when hanging)

Measure the point you want the board to hang in relation to the ledger. I centered all my front nose tip inserts to align so I can see the different board lengths compared to each other.

Took about 30 seconds to attach each board slot, did a 6ft long ledger with 4 board slots. With screwing it into the wall (into studs for weight support of course) it took a total of 15 minutes to go from bolting up to wall mounting!

10390333_10204051746444025_6443314067477756560_n.jpg?oh=6d374297327b774c2770303f8b90036b&oe=5433F5F7&__gda__=1412668988_40931c8013fccf6e5acfe69afd3f07b7

1623734_10204051746644030_1812040251998163170_n.jpg?oh=dd201d9797d24aaab27bfccd64bd7af4&oe=54358F4F&__gda__=1414527882_b07993ddadf133d01e72b4377be999de

10250321_10204051746884036_444171166594425427_n.jpg?oh=42793811da9fafe0962095dec226bc2d&oe=5453D103