Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

Quick one today, I was just looking to get a few turns in and regain some confidence from my wide world of sports agony of defeat crash at mcc.  Mission accomplished. Ink, Lance, Katie and I ended up parked next to one another in the race lot, we lapped a few on 3 before the growing crowds, cold winds, blowing snow and flat light made inky and I call it early.  It was worth it, I'm feeling like I know how to ride again. With spring break looming, I hope we get a quiet Sunday or two before the invasion.

Mario

• Like 5

Went up yesterday. Left Dino lot @ 7AM. Lots of truck traffic. Evidently I-70 was closed (or virtually closed) Wednesday. So a lot of trucks trying again yesterday. Sections of I-70 still had 2 - 3" of snow in the lanes - especially the right lane. Trucks were getting stuck. Other trucks going around the stuck ones and pinching off traffic. A bit of a mess. Chain law was in effect but most of the trucks had no chains. Took us about 70 minutes to get to the parking lot instead of the usual 40. 

On the lift at 9AM. Rode Ptarmigan, #6 & #4. Seemed like nobody was on the slopes. I've never seen it so empty. Had the whole place to ourselves. Mix of nice groom and 3 - 4" of new. It's amazing how much more I can concentrate on carving when I know nobody is coming down from above. 

By about 10:30 or so we started to encounter groups of skiers. They would come onto a lift and we would move to another. We were very successful doing crowd avoidance. Keno, Roulette, Duces, Firebowl and Apollo were fabulous. 

We knocked off about 1PM and ran into a skier in the lodge who had just arrived. He said it took 2 hours to drive up from Denver. We headed home and saw that the WB traffic jam was still in place. Lots and lots of trucks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunday Funday 2/26

Sunny and Warmish. Looked super promising with Sun out and Blue skies. Katie and I arrived at 7:05 AM, Our usual. Insteaad of back of row two we were back of row 4. It was a sign. Met up with Coach and Mario. Coiler/Thirst respectively. FNG and Lisa arrived in time to make some laps. We all quickly made it to the Practice field where we were greeted with Sun and Soft groom? It was a 2.3 on the MES scale. Super manageable but soft in the apex... We separated a little from group and took a lap to the bottom. We then all met up on 6 although only from the Chair. We hooted and hollered as we took turns slicing and dicing Roulette. It was good and there was more to have.... Crowds got the best of the day as Rental skiers and boarders made their way into our really fun disjointed day. Was great to see everyone tearing it up. Missed out on Apres (although Katie and I did have a beverage and shared a Buffalo Chicken sandwich in the Rathskeller). It was a great day cut short. Kudos to FNG for the "NSFNG Award" Nice Turns Justin! Not so f-ng new guy! On That note. Love my AZX! And... after how many years, I finally figured out that I just need to coast right into Roulette and not wait... Ladies: Katie and Lisa looked to be having a good time too!

Edited by slopestar
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, slopestar said:

Sunday Funday 2/26

Sunny and Warmish. Looked super promising with Sun out and Blue skies. Katie and I arrived at 7:05 AM, Our usual. Insteaad of back of row two we were back of row 4. It was a sign. Met up with Coach and Mario. Coiler/Thirst respectively. FNG and Lisa arrived in time to make some laps. We all quickly made it to the Practice field where we were greeted with Sun and Soft groom? It was a 2.3 on the MES scale. Super manageable but soft in the apex... We separated a little from group and took a lap to the bottom. We then all met up on 6 although only from the Chair. We hooted and hollered as we took turns slicing and dicing Roulette. It was good and there was more to have.... Crowds got the best of the day as Rental skiers and boarders made their way into our really fun disjointed day. Was great to see everyone tearing it up. Missed out on Apres (although Katie and I did have a beverage and shared a Buffalo Chicken sandwich in the Rathskeller). It was a great day cut short. Kudos to FNG for the "NSFNG Award" Nice Turns Justin! Not so f-ng new guy! On That note. Love my AZX! And... after how many years, I finally figured out that I just need to coast right into Roulette and not wait... Ladies: Katie and Lisa looked to be having a good time too!

Well done sir!

3 hours ago, greenie234 said:

will anyone be out at the donek event at ski cooper? also, trying to get out for a sunday (i think the 19th of march?) for some carving. schedule is fairly hectic!

Donek event at Cooper was this pat weekend I thought? Katie and I do Loveland and IKON passes. Can’t speak for anyone else. We prefer Winterpark and Copper. Abasin early and late season. And as many days as we can get in Aspen. We don’t love Loveland the mountain but we do love the crew we get to ride with and that makes all the difference

9 minutes ago, slopestar said:

Donek event at Cooper was this pat weekend I thought? Katie and I do Loveland and IKON passes. Can’t speak for anyone else. We prefer Winterpark and Copper. Abasin early and late season. And as many days as we can get in Aspen. We don’t love Loveland the mountain but we do love the crew we get to ride with and that makes all the difference

not sure if i can make it to copper this season, but the event is this saturday. hopefully see you all in a couple weeks!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, greenie234 said:

will anyone be out at the donek event at ski cooper? also, trying to get out for a sunday (i think the 19th of march?) for some carving. schedule is fairly hectic!

No on cooper. Yes on the 19th. Hope you can make it out.

ink

P.S. Miss Shelly made it out to get some runs with us. Joining on 6 then moving to Chets for some Richards runs which was quite good too.

Edited by inkaholic
  • Like 3

While Ice and SVR are chasing pow in Japan, A few of us spent Sunday Funday tearing up the LUV.  Crazy crowds, pulled in at 6:25 and was in the back of the second row. Day started sunny and warm, so I kept the base layers to a minimum, and popped my 7% vlt lenses in my goggles, and left the rest in the silver sled.  Lots of six checks on my way to ptarmigan.  After escaping the initial Kook armada, got in a few on the practice field, then on to Bennetts for a few.  FNG, aka J49 was tailgunning me down turtle creek when I managed to find some uber soft, about a 6 on the MES scale, and butt braked to a stop on a rippin' healy.  Fun times. Moved on to 6, and  aboso****inglutely tore up roulette.  Ink, J, and I left some nasty trenches into the lift chicane without any remorse.  On our third ride up, someone started playing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4XbV3gCm2Y

wind came up, temps started dropping, and I couldn't see shit. I headed to the bottom and pulled the chute, crowds and kooks became overwhelming, and not worth the effort of changing lenses and layers.

Skipped the Rat,and headed down the hill.  Cars were parked on 6, it was almost like closing day with all lots full.  Crazy.

Mario

• Like 2

22 hours ago, inkaholic said:

No on cooper. Yes on the 19th. Hope you can make it out.

ink

P.S. Miss Shelly made it out to get some runs with us. Joining on 6 then moving to Chets for some Richards runs which was quite good too.

Thought we saw her ripping. Katie and I are going to Cooper Saturday. May try a flux. May not make it up Sunday😔

• Like 2

On 2/28/2023 at 7:34 PM, big mario said:

FNG, aka J49 was tailgunning me down turtle creek when I managed to find some uber soft, about a 6 on the MES scale, and butt braked to a stop on a rippin' healy.  Fun times.

haha, i'm riding behind you and it was like all of a sudden you dropped down and disappeared into a hole!

On 2/28/2023 at 7:34 PM, big mario said:

Moved on to 6, and  aboso****inglutely tore up roulette.  Ink, J, and I left some nasty trenches into the lift chicane without any remorse. 

So so good. Can't wait to get out and trench again this weekend!

On 2/27/2023 at 6:26 PM, greenie234 said:

will most likely be riding Luv the 19th! see you there -FNG

• Like 1

Yesterday was pretty good. Good groom with a bit of new snow. Seemed like mostly gung-ho hardcore skiers. Got passed a few times at high speed. I think there's a lot of "I'll show those boarders!" mentality. 

Seems like more and more weekend escapees are bleeding into mid-week. 

Planning my triumphant return. Looking like Lovey for me on 3/26 and 4/2. 👍 My goons are dragging me back to Steamboat the week betwixt(Waaa. I have to go to Steamboat. Waaa. 🙄), then one of my best friends kids qualified for Nationals so well be parked at Copper the following week cheering him on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another short and sweet one today.

Due to the potential for wind holds and general spring break madness, I decided to go to the valley today

Ice, Inky, NSFNG and myself laid waste to switchback in an hour and a half before we called it due to a slope littered with first timers, texans, okies, kansan's and all the other nitwits riding on a slope way over their ability having to extricate themselves from the mess of trenches we left.  Ink and I were on slalom boards, increasing our trenching by about 40%.  Right when I got back to the silver sled, the wind came up, and once again, the lights went out.  

I am thinking of heading over to Cooper next Saturday since I have a hall pass, and escaping some of what seems like an excessively early spring break. Let me know if anyone else is interested, I plan on being back to the luv on sunday, as always

Mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Odd Job said:

If you are driving through Copper, you need to be early so you don't get stuck in a 30+min wait from the I-70 exit to the end of Copper's parking shitshow.

How early? projecting rolling through there about 7ish so that I miss a bunch of the earlier traffic heading up to summit and beyond