Note to New Members ×

Feedback on Coiler required

Louis

I've heard quite the opposite, which makes sense because as I understand it Bruce *carves* the camber into the board, rather than presses it in, so the wood is at neutral tension when the board is cambered. On other boards where the camber is pressed in, you are likely to lose camber more rapidly.

But I don't have a coiler.

I've not been able to gather this specific information... My friend told me that Coiler boards tend to get soft pretty fast... Is it true that the lifespan of the camber/strenght is short ??

your friend does not know what he's talking about, I've had five and all are pretty much the same as the day I bought them. maybe he had a bum board or he got it second hand and was too heavy for it since all coilers are built to the buyer's specific weight.

I've had a ****load of boards, pretty much everything that people talk about here excluding kessler and virus and as a whole I have had the best experience with coiler boards in longevity, service and just being great high performance sticks

gotta dissagree with you, guys!

Coiler is a great board, and Bruce is a great person to do business with, but exactly the loss of camber is what I don't like about Coilers :(

I have ridden much older Pogo and other European boards, including even f2 that have much more camber and life left in it!

That's just my expirience.

But if you don't care about extreme dampness and losing a camber, or if extreme dampness is what you want, it's really a great board! :biggthump

Edit: I was talking of old generation of Coilers. Wouldn't know anything about the new ones except they look sexy ;)

gotta dissagree with you, guys!

Coiler is a great board, and Bruce is a great person to do business with, but exactly the loss of camber is what I don't like about Coilers :(

I have ridden much older Pogo and other European boards, including even f2 that have much more camber and life left in it!

That's just my expirience.

But if you don't care about extreme dampness and losing a camber, or if extreme dampness is what you want, it's really a great board! :biggthump

Edit: I was talking of old generation of Coilers. Wouldn't know anything about the new ones except they look sexy ;)

loss of camber and stiffness are two different things, coilers don't start with much camber anyway.

camber does a few things that are great and neat but people get off on it like it's the only feature of the board and I will tell you right now that a ton of camber does not always make a difference in overall performance.

none of my coilers have had a ton of camber and also none lost that much either, some with 100 or more days of hard riding with a big rider that tends to lay into turns and close the radius of the turn up by laying on the nose.

the bottom line is that coilers last, despite what the rare euro says, if there were a issue with coilers I'd figure it out fairly fast because I ride so much or at least did until this year.

I've owned the other big three names people talk about here(donek, prior and madd) and Coilers have been the best by a long shot, that's why I keep getting coilers.

loss of camber and stiffness are two different things, coilers don't start with much camber anyway.

camber does a few things that are great and neat but people get off on it like it's the only feature of the board and I will tell you right now that a ton of camber does not always make a difference in overall performance.

none of my coilers have had a ton of camber and also none lost that much either, some with 100 or more days of hard riding with a big rider that tends to lay into turns and close the radius of the turn up by laying on the nose.

the bottom line is that coilers last, despite what the rare euro says, if there were a issue with coilers I'd figure it out fairly fast because I ride so much or at least did until this year.

I've owned the other big three names people talk about here(donek, prior and madd) and Coilers have been the best by a long shot, that's why I keep getting coilers.

I agree that stiffnes hasn't got much to do with camber, and I said that, to like or not like a board with more camber or dampness is a very subjective and personal issue! And, just like you said, a ton of camber does not always make a difference in overall performance. But sometimes it does!

And in my personal opinion, european boards have much more pop than americans. And it's up to a specific rider whether he likes pop or not. I personally do!

Furthermore, rare euros maybe tried other boards than just American ones, and on your list I can see only American brands (only Madd is a half-exception).

Don't want to offend anyone, but I stand behind my opinion :biggthump

Or maybe it's just my Coiler that lost pop and camber so quickly...

in my personal opinion, european boards have much more pop than americans.

Dude, that's a pretty silly generalization. You are throwing all the european boardmakers into the same box, and all the american/canadian boardmakers into another box. The fact is, that every boardmaker does things differently, regardless of their geography, and as a consequence their product(s) ride differently. That has absolutely nothing to do with what friggin' continent or country the board was manufactured in.

f2s are not that snappy

rossis generally feel dead, they're french or something

kesslers and SGs are reportedly super damp.......

virus I hear is just the opposite, spring boards on snow from most decriptions

even with boards from the same builder there's huge variation, take out a metal prior compared to a standard construction prior or a standard coiler to a a superboard coiler....

Dude, that's a pretty silly generalization. You are throwing all the european boardmakers into the same box, and all the american/canadian boardmakers into another box. The fact is, that every boardmaker does things differently, regardless of their geography, and as a consequence their product(s) ride differently. That has absolutely nothing to do with what friggin' continent or country the board was manufactured in.

Maybe it's silly, but I'm saying from my experience.

After riding them all, I think that f2, Nidecker, SG, Goltes, Virus, Pogo, Xtasy (and maybe some other that I forgot) have more pop than Coiler and Donek. But, I'll say again, that's what I think, and how I feel when riding a specific board.

But hey, some people prefere calm boards, damp, and with no pop. So I'm not saying in any way that european boards are better, just that I like them more.

Cheers!

f2s are not that snappy

rossis generally feel dead, they're french or something

kesslers and SGs are reportedly super damp.......

virus I hear is just the opposite, sping boards on snow from most decriptions

even with boards from the same builder there's huge variation, take out a metal prior compared to a standard construction prior or a standard coiler to a a superboard coiler....

f2 is not that snappy, but mine is snappier than my Coiler.

wouldn't know about Kessler, but SG with titanal is a very damp board for what I think, but not nearly as damp as a Coiler. Or at least much more lively!

And I can't say about new Coilers since I never rode one, but as I said they do look good!

And wouldn't know about Priors, but somebody told me that SG RaceT has more pop than Prior WCR Metal, and I do belive it!

Gotta go home to make a lunch for my girl now...

So maybe she lets me buy a new RaceT I found for €500 ;)

I disagree with the f2 statement, both my standard prior and a few of the doneks I've ridden have been snappier than both f2s I've been on, one of them I owned so I put in quite a bit of time on it.

SG I have heard but not actually ridden are super damp, at least the metal ones anyway. I want one in the worst way though. Once I get on one I'll be able to make that statement accurately

I disagree with the f2 statement, both my standard prior and a few of the doneks I've ridden have been snappier than both f2s I've been on, one of them I owned so I put in quite a bit of time on it.

SG I have heard but not actually ridden are super damp, at least the metal ones anyway. I want one in the worst way though. Once I get on one I'll be able to make that statement accurately

:biggthump

yes, I'd say most boards have more pop than a metal prior, both metal coilers I have here certainly do by a long shot.

I guess the SG and kessler boards do most of their flexing in one area, this may add to snappieness, the priors are just really supple all the way through.

the metal priors are the dampest boards I've been on, I also like snap too but the prior metal is so easy to ride it's a fair trade off IMHO

I've not been able to gather this specific information... My friend told me that Coiler boards tend to get soft pretty fast... Is it true that the lifespan of the camber/strenght is short ??

My three year old 170 EX felt just a tiny bit softer after maybe 50 sessions and having the tail run over by a Subaru Outback which was repaired. Rode it one more season before I sold it. The buyer flipped over the boards performance. Replaced it with a 176 EX. Is this baiting or what? :rolleyes:

Can't wait to find out how long my 177 AM T will last. Sweet board.

I've only been on a few coilers (PR and RC) and they are a very stable and quiet ride - nice and damp. Generally speaking (from my limited experience on his product) not a super lively board, but I've had the opportunity to push 'em HARD - no folding and a very nice edge hold and clean release. The PR 186 that I currently own had minimal camber from day one and there's been no observable loss over the past couple of seasons. Every board builder's product line has characteristics that attract riders, and like Bob said, plenty of variance within the same model with different construction/materials. The dampness and edgehold of the Coilers seem to be a trade mark of Bruce's that keep people comin' back for more. I know the man is NOT hurtin' for business. This is GOOD:biggthump

As a side note, I find it interesting that people talk about how relatively dead the Prior Metals are:confused: Was out on mine again a few days ago and was getting airborne edge changes with little effort. Yet damp and grippy on the springtime early frozen stuff, bustin' through the slush in the PM. TONS of camber - very lively.

I do not know who fed you that nonsense!!!!!

I have a 184 PR that Bruce built for me almost 7 years ago - it see's 10-15 days per season and it rides today as well as it did the first day being place in my hand. The camber is still alive and well.

To say that the quality still continues - I was luck to pick up a slightly used 177 All Mountain a couple seasons ago and it has performed as well as my first Pure Race.

Just my 2 cents Canadian

Rob

All the Coilers I've had and seen have not started out with a whole lot of camber, but they have all retained the camber that they have. Well, except the one that died very young in a severe crash. I personally find Coilers have enough springiness to be fun but they are predictable and well-behaved. One my Coilers is actually one of Bruce's old boards, probably been ridden a good number of days, and it's a snappy little thing.

I personally find the Coiler metals to have somewhat more spring than the Prior metals, despite the fact that the Prios have a LOT more camber. On some of the Coiler models such as the NSR which has a ton of taper (2 cm not 2 mm), the springiness comes from the mid section of the board and not the tail.

My three year old 170 EX felt just a tiny bit softer after maybe 50 sessions and having the tail run over by a Subaru Outback which was repaired. Rode it one more season before I sold it. The buyer flipped over the boards performance. Replaced it with a 176 EX. Is this baiting or what? :rolleyes:

Can't wait to find out how long my 177 AM T will last. Sweet board.

I schmell what yer schteppin' in.

Next year, it'll be a MenTAL Schtubbyish Coiler:1luvu:

so fun to ride , you'll highside

post-123-141842257107_thumb.jpg

post-123-141842257109_thumb.jpg

This seems to be "the" thread for my question.

AM-T vs stubby X2 for quiver killer

some x2 spec listed on bomer

L/S.C/W

170cm x 14m x 21cm

171cm x 13.2m x 20 cm

AM spec from coiler website(not sure if it's the same AM-T)

172cm x 10.5m x 21.5

172cm x 10.5m x 23

Any first hand experince between the 2?

skill level requirement?

Can some one rate the X2 like how coiler rate them on the website in term of powder, all mtn, free carve, rec race, serious race.

for example on the website:

AM

powder, all mtn, free carve, rec race, serious race

5-5-3-0-0

What would X2 be?

Thanks

--

David