Note to New Members ×

Big Mountain Expression Session!?!?!?!?

Dr D

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked on the Whitefish site and they say that Hibernation House is fully booked for the 25-27 of January. Yet if I look on Expedia it says it's available - go figure??

Anyway, can someone tell me how far away Kalispell is from the mountain? I'll have the car so I don't mind driving for 30 mins or so to get to the hill. Kalispell is dirt cheap - $50 a night for a room...

Where is the apres likely to be? What's the acommodation standard like on the mountain?? Where do people usually stay when they visit?

I checked on the Whitefish site and they say that Hibernation House is fully booked for the 25-27 of January. Yet if I look on Expedia it says it's available - go figure??

Anyway, can someone tell me how far away Kalispell is from the mountain? I'll have the car so I don't mind driving for 30 mins or so to get to the hill. Kalispell is dirt cheap - $50 a night for a room...

Where is the apres likely to be? What's the acommodation standard like on the mountain?? Where do people usually stay when they visit?

If it were me, I would want to stay in Whitefish for sure. You don't have to be up on the mtn (whatever its called these days), Whitefish still has a resort vibe which you won't find in Kalispel.

16 miles on google earth from Kalispel to Whitefish. Slow moving mostly and through town, sprawl etc.

Another 7-8 to get to the resort. From Whitefish it seems like a quick pop up the hill, from Kalispel feels like a commute. I spent the winter there several years ago and I lived between the towns and it still felt like a commute. I only partied in Whitefish the whole winter I was there. Don't think I went to Kalispel more than a handful of times or occasional shopping.

Don't think it's gotten better since then.

post-805-14184223955_thumb.jpg

I've stayed in Whitefish before and it wasn't too bad. Many of the hotels are on the bus route, I think, which was nice for me because my husband had the car and the kids and I could head up to the mountain. The place we stayed was the Pine Lodge or something like that, I think. i don't remember the price, but it couldn't have been that bad otherwise I wouldn't have stayed there. There was an indoor/outdoor pool and they allow dogs. When we stayed there, there was a busload of people from Calgary partying it up! If I can get up there at all this year, I may try to stay there again.

Kathy

Thanks for the info carvedog, that's the sort of stuff I need to know.

Grouse Mountain Lodge looks nice, if everyone's going to be staying in town. $132 per night gets you :

Lodging and tax at Grouse Mountain Lodge

Full breakfast in The Grill

All day adult lift ticket at The Big Mountain

Transfers to/from The Big Mountain, Airport, Amtrak and downtown Whitefish

which sounds like a pretty good deal, if a lift ticket is what - $70?

I love staying on hill (you can roll out of bed later :-)) but if everyone else is going to be staying in Whitefish I'd rather stay there.

Grouse Mtn is nice I used to drive past it every day on my way to town. Tempting but I think I would still try to stay in town myself.Even though it is only a mile or so.

Something of interest they have a Quad pak 4 tix for $46 per day. But must be purchased by Nov. 15th.

Regular day rate is $56 according to website

http://www.bigmtn.com/?a=content/winterrates

nows the time to get those package deals before they go up in price. kalispell is cheap lodging and the hwy 93 corridor is now 4 lane 95% of the way. More sprawl more traffic lanes. At any rate its a 15 minute drive tops. there are lots of places in whitefish that are on the free bus route for those trying to save a buck and not bringing a car. The mountain road is also a mile shorter and three of the nasty switch backs have been removed so the trip up the mountain is shorter and less hairy. I would check out columbia falls as well for cheap accomadations if you are driving your own vehicle.:biggthump

I'll be on the mountain with two confirmed and A possible third. Apres on the mountain is great . Whitefish providing A lot of choices also. I usually hit whitefish after i get cleaned up. The bus has A good schedule down and back most of the night. And if you are not ready to leave you can grab A cab. Last year from the The Northern up to Big Mountain was $20. Not bad with A couple people splitting . It was A mini van should be able to get 6 or 7 people in it. The Quad pack is the best deal even better than booking with on mountain stay save $4 dollars<its A couple beers>. You do have to get 4 at first but you can add 1,2,3 days at $46 each day. Hard to find on line but can be done.

easy relax :rolleyes: step away from the keyboard. the front is never open on time. it'll be backside only for the first couple weeks.

John is planning on attending and having a demo opportunity it'll be bx and all mtn stuff though unless new tooling comes in before then. his alpine stuff isn't off the ground yet. the 195 is a prototype. I will be glad to demo it to you though.:biggthump

oh yea forgot to add this http://explorewhitefish.com/

saw a new rag to promote whitefish, lots of things to see,

places to eat, things to do. check it out, see you guys

laters. also you guys probably made travel plans but heres

http://explorewhitefish.com/packages.aspx?SiteID=124

also check Allee's post above.

any questions, post here i'll try to help.

finally starting to feel like winter :1luvu:

oh yea another thing feb 2 is winter carnival with a parade

at 3pm. town gets crazy but fun. you may want to stay and party!...

west carven

I was cleaning up my office and ran across this photo from the Whitefish News Paper. It is from 1988.

They had previously not let snowboards on...but in the spring of 1988 they let snowboarders on for a 2 week trial basis. I was riding a sweet 161 Barfoot Freestyle, Sorrel Boots (with tons of Duct Tape), and stretch pants.

Looks like they have embraced us well.

post-3878-141842241098_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...