Note to New Members ×

Big Mountain Expression Session!?!?!?!?

Dr D

howdy doc,

can we get big mountain to rope off chair 2 for a few hours

like the nastar races? with the orange caution ropes.

carving in progress! do not enter. hehehe:rolleyes:

This idea jinxed us at the ECES sugarloaf...there was a miscommunication between the office, mtn ops, and ski patrol....never mind what the weatherman saved for that day.... All's well that ends well, the sponsor, Bob Jenny Designs, got his money back, and we ripped up other places on the mountain.. The carver only trail, remains very elusive. But at the Big Mtn, do you really need to rope a trail off?

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not necessary midweek for sure and the weekends shouldn't be bad that week. I think fifty hardbooters might actually draw some notice and perhaps some understanding after the 30th or so trench goes ripping past.

here's the new snow update:biggthump

post-2375-141842233349_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
july 7 2007,

record breaking heat ... whitefish 101 degrees, kalispell 100 degrees

hope its not a bad omen of things to come.

Calm down brah

ITs always hot in july! makes you appreciate the white goodness to come:biggthump

• 3 weeks later...
How is the weather DR,D?

we 're sorry the party you have requested is no longer at this address he has moved to patagonia where it isn't so ****ing hot:rolleyes:

***I wish****

It is going on 4 weeks of sunny misery. lots of folks enjoying it but I am sort of a winter oriented kinda guy its to damn hot for to long.:angryfire :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire

It is going on 4 weeks of sunny misery. lots of folks enjoying it but I am sort of a winter oriented kinda guy its to damn hot for to long.:angryfire :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire

I'm feeling your pain in Calgary too. This is the hottest summer in the five years I've been here, it's just freaking ridiculous. And no rain in the forecast for this week either. :mad:

The local pass price is good thru september 30 this year $499.00 for those of you with math disabilities thats less than ten days of regular lift tickets.:biggthump

I urge anyone who might make two trips or who might wish to stay for a little longer to consider getting a pass online prior to the september deadline.

http://www.bigmtn.com/?a=store/main&act=st&id=1

if you do let me know so we can adjust numbers accordingly.

thanx D

Is that the best Big White Fish has to offer for our group?. If you need 7 lift tickets the best deal is Quad pack you get 4 days $184 you can add days 2 at A time $92 =$276 and buy one $54 grand total $ 320. All that said if you book lodging thay have discounted tickets. I dont know that price yet. I will let every one know when I book.:freak3:

No this is just the regular rate stuff from the site I am sure we can do better. I just know that some of the idaho and alberta folks might make more than one trip and the pass might be a good option for them.:biggthump

It is unusual to have the option to buy it past may. It is part of the name change and anniversary marketing to keep it open thru september.

I will update when I get a reply on group rates.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I'm going to try to make it up at some point during that week!!! I may bring my husband and kids, but that depends on jobs, money, etc,etc.....

(Last year I didn't do any snowboarding because I was pregnant.... my little boy was born on March 27th)

To the guy who was asking about the RV park..... I think you can park down by the Outback Lodge (is that the right name?) if you don't need hookups or anything. If I remember correctly, there are showers in the bathrooms downstairs in the lodge.

I tried taking the truck camper to Big Sky one year in March and I'll never do it again!!!! Of course, I was so concerned about keeping me warm, that I didn't even think about keeping the diesel truck warm. Paid over $150 to a tow truck drive to borrow a generator and sit there while the truck thawed out. Ooops!

Anyhow, Dr D, count me in.... I'm just not sure exactly when.... probably won't be the entire week.

I'll be teaching at Lookout Pass this year (Idaho, MT border on I-90) so if anyone finds themselves in that area, look me up. Not a huge resort, but it's affordable ($25 a day for lift ticket) and always seems to have good snow and decent grooming.

Kathy

Chairlift Construction On Schedule to Greet Ski Season at Whitefish

News - Resorts

Whitefish, MT - A $7.5 million chairlift expansion of two new high speed quads is continuing on schedule at Whitefish Mountain Resort, formerly known as Big Mountain Resort, with load testing to begin in October and both lifts ready for the 2007-08 ski and snowboard season. The chairlift work is being completed by Salt Lake City-based Doppelmayr CTEC.

Resort owner Winter Sports, Inc. is rebuilding two chairlifts for the upcoming season. Big Mountain Express/Chair 1, the main lift to Big Mountain’s summit, is being replaced. Swift Creek Express/Chair 2, previously a fixed-grip double chair, is being extended, re-aligned, and replaced with a high-speed quad.

The original Chair 1 was a fixed-grip double chair constructed in 1960 and was replaced in 1989 by the current high-speed quad, previously called the Glacier Chaser. Mark Haselby, site manager for Doppelmayr CTEC, worked on the high speed installation 18 years ago and is overseeing the two projects this summer.

“We have an aggressive timeline on this massive project and we’re making significant progress,” said Haselby. “We should begin load testing the first week of October.”

Progress to-date on Chair 1 includes the replacement of lift tower assemblies and tower extensions using a helicopter and the rebuild of the bottom terminal. The top terminal is 40% complete with the new bull wheel and electric motor in place. Grade work is nearing completion and new communication lines are being strung this week. New lift cable will be strung in mid-September and then new chairs will be added to the line for final load testing.

Last week 50 cubic yards of lift tower concrete for Chair 2 were flown via Kaman K-max helicopter in 65 different trips over 3.5 hours for towers 6 through 16. This week, towers 1 through 5 will be poured using trucks. New lift towers will be flown into place during October. The top terminal has been excavated and poured and dirt work is beginning on the lower terminal. The goal for Chair 2 is to have load testing completed by Thanksgiving.

In addition to chairlift upgrades, snow groomers have also been replaced at a cost of over $240,000. Announced last week, the resort is tripling its snowmaking capacities for the Fishbowl Terrain Park and Superpipe.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dr, I just got the news letter from whitefish mountain. ED&Mully's ? It’s a Mississippi-style Bar-B-Q joint where Moguls used to be. We’re dedicating it to Ed Schenk and Lloyd “Mully” Muldown, two of the guys that helped shape The Big Mountain from the beginning, and we’re redecorating it to suit. Those of us who have been around this summer have been able to sample some of Chef Stu’s BBQ stylings, and I personally am drooling right now just thinking about it.