Note to New Members ×

Big Mountain Expression Session!?!?!?!?

Dr D

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is'nt that a asparagushead... just kiddin'... hey doc,

when are your riding days? havent seen you yet.

thursday and saturdays for now. after the 14th I will be up tuesday mornings as well. for now the duck blind is open on tuesday mornings.:eplus2: when the season closes I will add a day on the mountain. I have to many hobbies.

I have secured three demo boards from Surfrodz for the week. I will also have most of my own quiver available to anyone that wants to give something a try. you will have to mount your own bindings so as to make it your own problem if you break a leg etc. the boards will be available no bindings or boots. their will be the usual legal disclaimer to sign to ride the surfrodz boards.

Its looking like lots of snow. Eleven more inches on thursday and 2-3 more today wetter heavier snow that should really firm up the overly soft groomers. There is a strong chance of big powder so I would strongley suggest that everyone bring a powder board or at least an allmtn option.

there will be a few demos available but its a good idea to bring your own.

the blacktail mtn side trip is currently scrapped due to lack of suficient snow to be worth the trip. that could change and is still an option if the big mtn is fogged in badly.

anyone interested in the valhalla cat ski option let me know so I can look into discounts. Tuesday would be the day for that. we need about nine to get the best deal.

softie setups are welcome so bring a buddy. the more the merrier. :biggthump

This thread is out of control and hard to tally so everyone that is coming for sure plz email me and let me know what days and how many are coming

delaneycarlson@hotmail.com

locals let me know as well and spread the word.

motorolas will be used if you have them and the channel will be 7 07 unless otherwise posted.

more to follow stay tuned as the date gets closer.

I cant wait it is killing me. I haven't even been out yet this year:angryfire . the weekends are so warm then we get snow then upper 40s or 50s and mash potato's. looks like my first run will be at Big Mountain just like last year. I hope I can remember how to ride. Dr my group of three did buy lift tickets for every day at Big Mountain. Every one can go have fun:eplus2: and I will hold down the fort.

so, just wondering.... have we hit the record here yet for most replies in a single thread????

Cuban... I kinda feel sorry for you... no days on snow yet??? UGH! How are those legs going to hold up??? For me, it's been lots of days on snow, but not many on the carving stuff because there's been so much powder! I'm wonding how my hip joints are going to survive cause they always get sore after a hard day of carving. I'll be looking for the nearest hot tub!

So far

Cuban with 3 for the whole week

steve with 3 for the whole week

allee the first weekend plus monday possible valhalla tuesday

kinpa plus 1/2 first weekend plus monday

locals on softies 5 on and off all week

local hardbooters skwalluers and monoskis 7 on and off all week

current total is 20 for the first three days and then down to 15 or 16

tuesday at valhalla is locals tuesday and is half price. still checking on deals hopefully local price for anyone in the group:eplus2:

currently maybe 4 interested in the side trip

some I think are coming but don't know for sureBuster + ?

Chuck

cristan

carvedog

boardski

c5golfer

are you guys in for sure and how many are you bringing?

I am still trying to figue out the trip from Whistler Blackcomb and getting there safe and sound without falling asleep on the road.

I'll keep you posted -- most of it depends on when I leave Whistler - morning or afternoon.

Well....... I was pretty primed for it, but that whole thing with the asparagus head kind of freaked me out. :D

Still trying to work it out. My wife is starting to balk a little and it is her Bday on the 27th. Are you trying to do this for the whole week before or after. I know some of the Cleveland guys are here for the week.

Just remind me of the dates and I am still going to try for at least a couple of days. If my wife comes she would be on teles but we don't have it all together yet.

So far

Cuban with 3 for the whole week

allee the first weekend plus monday possible valhalla tuesday

kinpa plus 1/2 first weekend plus monday

locals on softies 5 on and off all week

local hardbooters skwalluers and monoskis 7 on and off all week

current total is 20 for the first three days and then down to 15 or 16

tuesday at valhalla is locals tuesday and is half price. still checking on deals hopefully local price for anyone in the group:eplus2:

currently maybe 4 interested in the side trip

additions

buster 4 HB and 2 skiers the whole week.

C5 uncertain of which days he will be there

carvedog and steveprokopiw unconfirmed as to dates and numbers but planning on coming

the dates are january 26 - feb 2 with more people the first half of the week than the second

total is now 27 first three days and 20 or so the rest of the week.

<TABLE class=gbvrs cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width=762 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=f10blue vAlign=top align=left width=500 colSpan=2>(10:30 am update: Pretty darn close to champagne for breakfast. We'll call it sparkling wine. My first run was Big Face to Chair 4 line and I wondered, is there enough snow to cover yesterday's tracks? Yes, and it was beautiful. Nice fluff layer on top and then soft all the way through. New snow levels vary (3-5 inches) all over depending on which way the wind blew. Took a run down Big Ravine and watched skiers leaving trails of smoke all the way down. Visibility has gone down at the summit, but clears up by the top of Big Ravine. The sun is poking out in the village. All in all, another sweet day on the Big.)

Gracias la nina! That little storm that was supposed to bring us 1-2 inches left us with 8 inches in 24 hours and 5 inches overnight. If you and your skis are trying to leave a permanent mark on the slopes, good luck, because nature is working hard to erase you again with a fresh layer of powder. This mountain is beautifully filled in (165 inches of snow so far) and everything is fair game. The National Weather Service is calling for a chance of more snow today and tomorrow. The best part about all this snow is seeing so many familiar faces over and over again--people who say they normally only ski a few days a year, but now, they...just...can't...stop. It's that good. The groomers are in excellent form again and there's lots of them! See you on Chair 1.

The Nordic Center is groomed today (track not set)

I'm still waxing on about the latest and greatest thing we have at WMR. SUPERPIPE. The Superpipe is open. This is our earliest opening of the Superpipe and the first Superpipe to open in Montana. You would have to drive 10 hours to find another Superpipe open. The pipe is 18' high, 450' long, and a ripping good time. What's so great about having it open early is that you have more time to work on your pipe skills. Learning the Superpipe is a great activity for all skiers and boarders. Beginners can simply ski through the pipe barely getting one ski onto a wall, and experts can soar high into the sky. No where else on the mountain can you find a single feature suitable for almost any ability level. At the very least, ski on by and check it out! Thanks to Rory and the Events staff who moved tons of snow to make this beauty!

We know that some of you love groomers no matter how much new snow there is. Our groomers are running great! List of today's groomed runs.

See you out there! Caeli <HR>More new videos coming soon! We're super busy getting deep pow footage! In the meantime visit our video center for some media fun...

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=262><TABLE class=gbvrs cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width=260 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=f10whiteb vAlign=center align=left bgColor=#003366 colSpan=2>Snowfall: </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10b align=left colSpan=2>At the Summit (6,813ft/2,343m) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Settled Base: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>81"/206cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Overnight Snow (?) </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>5"/13cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>24hr New Snow: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>8"/21cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Total Snow to Date: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>165"/420cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Last 7 Days: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>37"/94cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left colSpan=2>Mid-mountain at the top of Chair 2 currently has a settled base of: 54"/138cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10b align=left colSpan=2>In the Village (4,450ft/1,350m) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Settled Base: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>38"/97cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Overnight Snow (?) </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>3"/8cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>24hr New Snow: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>6"/16cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Total Snow to Date: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>107"/272cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Last 7 Days: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>24"/61cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10 vAlign=center align=left colSpan=2>Glacier Country Avalanche Center's daily advisory. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=gbvrs cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width=260 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=f10whiteb vAlign=center align=left bgColor=#003366 colSpan=2> Weather At Time of Report (05:32AM): </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10b align=left colSpan=2>At the Summit (6,817ft/2,078m) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Temperature: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>11°F/-12°C </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Visibility: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>partly cloudy - 50-100 yards </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Wind: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>light </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10b align=left colSpan=2>In the Village (4,464ft/1,361m) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Temperature: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>24°F/-4°C </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Visibility: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>partly cloudy - good </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Wind: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>calm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left colSpan=2>Visit Whitefish Mountain Resort's Weather Center for detailed forecasting and up to the minute temperatures and conditions. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

howdy uall

snow report: jan 7 08

4 inches over groom... powder everywhere, some sun in the morning.

it was a beautiful day, rode the softies and had a blast, went home

to get the new hardboots and tried to break um in, does not fit well.

more snow expected tomorrow... will try the new FCII 171.

see uall pretty soon!

howdy uall,

snow report: jan 8 08

light snow from the get go, all day, good groomers early on,

but with the new snow got bumpy by mid day. busted out the

donek FCII 171 today, did not feel that big. this board felt a little

hooky. one problem is when riding flat the board wants to slide to

the left. anyone knows a cure?

thanks, west carven

howdy uall,

snow report: jan 8 08

light snow from the get go, all day, good groomers early on,

but with the new snow got bumpy by mid day. busted out the

donek FCII 171 today, did not feel that big. this board felt a little

hooky. one problem is when riding flat the board wants to slide to

the left. anyone knows a cure?

thanks, west carven

its either the edge tune or the setback bra

likely one edge is detuned a little at the end and the others not .

<TABLE class=gbvrs cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width=762 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=f12white vAlign=center align=left width=250 bgColor=#003366>Reported on 01-09-2008 </TD><TD class=f10white vAlign=center align=middle width=250 bgColor=#003366>Report created at 06:00AM - (406)862-SNOW </TD><TD class=f10whiteb vAlign=absmiddle align=right width=262 bgColor=#003366>printer.jpg </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue vAlign=top align=left width=500 colSpan=2>Snow Report updated by Big Dave:

36" of snow in the last 7 days. 8" of snow in the last 24. The snow just doesn't stop, its not going to stop, and frankly I don't want it to stop. The skiing has been so good since we opened. We have received 15 feet of snow this winter. I'm glad to be a part of this winter, that is for sure. It is still snowing in the village and there is more on the way. We have measurable snow in the forecast for the next 4 days. There seems to be another system coming in thursday into thursday night.

Powder Powder Powder Powder Powder Powder Powder Powder Powder

My bank has forgotten my name, I've got a stack of unopened mail, and my dogs think I have been taken by aliens. Every day it seems like we get new snow. This is why we live in and visit ski towns. In this part of Montana we only get to ski until mid July, so we need to take advantage of every day until then. (The resort is only open until the first week of april) My dogs see me at 4am for breakfast and 5pm for dinner. They get lots of walks and nordic skis at night, but the resort gets my attention during the day. If you haven't got anything to do head on up to the top of the big and make some turns.

The groomers are working hard to smooth out all of the new snow. The backside was groomed later so there will be less snow on top. With so many runs groomed every night you can always find fresh corduroy on one side and 3" of new on the other. The front side groomers will have a nice layer of fresh snow on top. Today will be another great day on top of the Big so head on up and do some riding.

The Nordic Center was groomed and track set on Monday.

Don't miss Frabert at the Bierstube--5:30 pm on Weds. This is when Ski Patrol honors the "clod" of the week. Could be you! What an honor!

I'm still waxing on about the latest and greatest thing we have at WMR. SUPERPIPE. The Superpipe is open. This is our earliest opening of the Superpipe and the first Superpipe to open in Montana. You would have to drive 10 hours to find another Superpipe open. The pipe is 18' high, 450' long, and a ripping good time. What's so great about having it open early is that you have more time to work on your pipe skills. Learning the Superpipe is a great activity for all skiers and boarders. Beginners can simply ski through the pipe barely getting one ski onto a wall, and experts can soar high into the sky. No where else on the mountain can you find a single feature suitable for almost any ability level. At the very least, ski on by and check it out! Thanks to Rory and the Events staff who moved tons of snow to make this beauty!

We know that some of you love groomers no matter how much new snow there is. Our groomers are running great! List of today's groomed runs.

kaw, ka kaw, kaw, ka kaw kaw kaw. Those are the lines I want to ski. Big Dave <HR>We have a new VIDEO! EVeryday we're out getting pow footage! Visit our video center for some media fun...

:biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump

I must once again implore you all to bring a powder board or at least an all mountain board along. we may be still dumping when you get here.

Not that there's anything wrong with that:eplus2: :eplus2:

powder stash tours will simply be worked into the schedule.

I could also show the diehard's (PAULK) oh yeah he's not coming this yr:confused:

some really great back country runs that require hiking up the ridge. so light boots if you've got em.

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=262><TABLE class=gbvrs cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width=260 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=f10whiteb vAlign=center align=left bgColor=#003366 colSpan=2>Snowfall: </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10b align=left colSpan=2>At the Summit (6,813ft/2,343m) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Settled Base: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>86"/219cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Overnight Snow (?) </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>6"/16cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>24hr New Snow: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>8"/21cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Total Snow to Date: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>176"/448cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Last 7 Days: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>36"/92cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left colSpan=2>Mid-mountain at the top of Chair 2 currently has a settled base of: 56"/143cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10b align=left colSpan=2>In the Village (4,450ft/1,350m) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Settled Base: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>41"/105cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Overnight Snow (?) </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>6"/16cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>24hr New Snow: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>8"/21cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Total Snow to Date: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>118"/300cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Last 7 Days: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>24"/61cm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10 vAlign=center align=left colSpan=2>Glacier Country Avalanche Center's daily advisory. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=gbvrs cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width=260 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=f10whiteb vAlign=center align=left bgColor=#003366 colSpan=2>Weather At Time of Report (06:00AM): </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10b align=left colSpan=2>At the Summit (6,817ft/2,078m) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Temperature: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>18°F/-8°C </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Visibility: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>light snow - 200yds </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Wind: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>light </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10b align=left colSpan=2>In the Village (4,464ft/1,361m) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Temperature: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>24°F/-4°C </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Visibility: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>light snow - good </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left width=150>Wind: </TD><TD class=f10blueb align=left>calm </TD></TR><TR><TD class=f10blue align=left colSpan=2>Visit Whitefish Mountain Resort's Weather Center for detailed forecasting and up to the minute temperatures and conditions. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

You know how to hurt A man:AR15firin . Just reading the list of groomers I was getting goosebumps. If we get snow here in Cleveland Friday and Saturday I will be out on Sunday. It will be my first time this season. Western NY Peek'N'Peak . http://www.pknpk.com/ Let it snow on the Fish. See you in 16 days. Thanks Dr,D

powder stash tours will simply be worked into the schedule.

I could also show the diehard's (PAULK) oh yeah he's not coming this yr:confused:

I'm sorry....really sorry I'm gonna miss this year. Hopefully I can make it up by posting pics next week of the trip that trumped Big Mtn for me this year..

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/CAXX0398?from=36hr_topnav_business