Note to New Members ×

Big Mountain Expression Session!?!?!?!?

Dr D

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for two days.My sister(Kristina) and I ,as well as Tool Can(Sean) are coming for all day Sunday and until about 2:00 on Monday.Kristina booked us a room at the mountain (name escapes me) that has a bed and two bunks,so we're stylin! See ya'll bright and early Sunday!

Oh, and we will bring powder boards.Win,Win...

Johnasmo and I started up the session tonight. It was some fine carving under the lights. Looks like tomorrow will be excellent with a little light snow falling tonight.

John just finished up mountain the Violator. The Das Amputator nearly jumped out of the bag when it heard the Violator was around.

No worries we will catch the first lifts tomorrow!

Good morning. Yes for breakfast I would like toast, bacon, hashbrowns, eggs scrambled (for safety reasons), juice (fresh squeezed) and a gallon of dark coffee. Then I would like you to get the Das Amputator and the Violator readied for use. I expect the 4WD's ready by 1:00. Chop Chop get to it I have a lift to catch.

Just a touch of fresh snow last night. Good Visibility. Should be a very fine first official day of the Big Mtn Expression Session.

Shred, even though you will not be here we will be riding your boards with pride. We will even show our gratitude by trenching up Ed's, Toni Matt, Inspo, Heaven, Big Ravine, Many Falls, Hell Roaring.....

Dude you should have been there, The Dixie Chicks showed up and started.....

OHHH! So Fine!!

Started out the day @ Chair 2. Firm, Fast and Carve-a-licious!!!! Johnasmo was driving his newly acquired Violator. They became good friends very quickly. You never would have known that the board has a 17+ meter sidecut. I was on the loyal 201 Das Amputator. It was the first day the two of us have ridden this season. I do love the Amputator!! Sqwalguy was on his custom Donek Sqwal laying it down and generally ripping in his finest form. He did not even share his Little Debbie's snack cake with me...

When Chair 1 opened we headed to Toni Matt that was in immaculate condition. Everyone was leaving their mark in the perfect corduroy. Visibility was excellent till about 2. Then back to Chair 2 that was below the fog line. It started snowing from then on. By the time Johnasmo and I left @ 6 about 3 inches had piled up. It is still snowing so it may be a powder day tomorrow.

Sorry no pictures. We were just too busy having fun! I will try tomorrow.

Our plans changed due to extenuating circumstances and we will not be able to attend tommorrow or Monday.Kristina ,Sean and I will have to settle for a foot at Silver Mountain this weekend.If it is sunny,visible and carvable the second weekend I may have to drop everything and try again.We just couldn't justify a drive that would be twice as long with the weather when we were already having to leave at 3:00 am to make first lift.Happy powder day to you all.

Well it snowed all day and was still snowing at the end of the day. Chair 1 only ran for 10 minutes this morning then was down for the rest of the day. Chair five did not run till late after noon so there was no lift to the top. Chair 2 was packed because of this, while the backside chair had nearly no one on it. So Johnasmo and I hoofed it to the summit house, and rode the backside. The temps were a little colder back there so it was much friendlier to the goggles, not so friendly on the goggles on chair 2 today. Near the end of the day chair 5 opened up but most folks had left so there was lots of untracked snow to be had. Good Medicine was Very Very Deep!!

I did get to see ???(cant remember his name) snap the nose of his Madd off right in front of the front binding. It was his first run. Not such a nice way to start the morning but he had a great attitude about the affair. Glad you were not hurt.

Tomorrow will be far from a carving day. 4-8 more inches predicted and storms lined up for the rest of the week.

West Carven we keep looking for ya! We will be @ Chair 2 @ 0900 then off to Chair 1 @ 0930.

21 inches in the last 24 hrs . blizzard warning in the valley emergency travel only until 9am all the schools are closed.

wow :eek:

oh yeah and its supposed to snow for 3 more days.:ices_ange

one spectacular day of carving on saturday followed by neverending dump. bring back memories paulk? shred?

I am supposed to work today but if nobody shows by 10 I am closing the office and breaking the drifts to get there. the locals were on the early chair yesterday and got to the back before the closure. they reported 20 -30 people on the backside all day in beautiful untracked snow. So far no word on chair one yet today.

8 am update: Chair 1 is running.

I'm going to lay it out straight because today's news is shockingly beautiful--18+ inches in 24 hours and 11 inches overnight at the summit. That's snow, pure snow. Get a hold of yourself! It's okay to do a little snow dance as you read this report on your computer screen. The National Weather Service has just changed to a blizzard warning for the Flathead Valley, and we do expect wind gusts at the top of the Big. The mid-mountain temp is forecasted to rise to 7 degrees. It was snowing hard when I arrived at 5:15 am, but is has already subsided in the village. By the time the resort opens there could be 1-3 more inches at the summit. The snow feels lighter than yesterday, so I'm expecting an off-the-charts day. Ski Patrol will be doing lot of control work this morning, working hard to get the mountain open. If you look at the NOAA forecast, this snow is going to continue all week.

As many of you know, Chair 1 went down yesterday. Lift Operations opened Chair 4 and Chair 5. I would advise that you check this report after 8:00 am for an updated lifts report.

In light of an 11 inch day, now it is even more important that read the following suggestions: 1) Don't miss out on a 4 day snow storm; 2) Volunteer for our cool events or tell some friends about it; 3) Call your mother--you ski bums have had the best season ever (243 inches and counting) and you've probably forgotten about everything else.

Also, the Whitefish Winter Carnival is happening this weekend! This is a lively, comical, and heartfelt expression of our amazing community. On Feb. 2, we will have a Torchlight Parade on the slopes of the Big. Should be a sight to see... Here's the info you need below...

Living the dream. We all are. Caeli out.

Dr D.,

I was one of the lucky ones stuck up top yesterday. About 200 people doing laps on the back side. When you were ready to head down you got one last fresh track run in Hell Roaring. Today was sick, not a lot of people and tons of face shots. Visibility was great and the sun even popped in and out. Hope you got some Dr.

Need I say more?

Love it, Redman! I have that same pic on my camera too!

And thanks guys.... I think I got some inspiration and motivation to last me a bit! Enjoy the rest of the week and all that snow! (Took me a good half hour to get the snow cleaned off the car that accumulated from Friday night to Monday afternoon before I could head home! Love that Subaru!)