Note to New Members ×

What kind of board do you guys use for the powder days??

yamifumi

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you consider "powder"?

For cascade cement in small amounts (up to 4"), I stick with a general carving stick.

For wet or dry powder up to about 6-8" I'm on my Incline or 200 AM if the trails I'm on allow it.

For anything over 8" I see no reason to ride anything other then my 185 undertaker.

All depth numbers o out the window if I'm skinning BC on my Voile Mtn. Gun 171 splitter. If I could afford a 195 split swallow I'd have one. :biggthump

POWDER!!!!

I'm with George (crucible) on this one: Winterstick 185cm, if I had one. I rode the 165 version for many years before the lifts would let snowboarders on. But, since I can't get my grimy hands on one right now, I'd say I'm gonna ride the 200 Tanker again this season. Wait, I've got a brand new Wasatch Mojo 181cm that I've got to try out, too. And, that pesky Undertaker 185 that I bought last fall and haven't hadda chance to slide on.

As a swallowtail fanatic, I'd have to say that the Tanker 200 swayed me away from riding a brand new swally all last season. I was shocked by the speed and stablility of the beast. It was like surfing an old school Con 11'9" in 3-4 foot mushy surf. Solid, stable and funnnnnn!

The most fun I ever had on an alpine deck was on a Nidecker 170-something with no setback, weight forward on a foot of new and still puking. I'd forgotten my swally's thinking there was nothing but groomers, like showing up to a gunfight with a knife. I figured, "...hey, go out and relax, have some fun anyway". Wow! The Nidecker peformed well despite conditions.

I've tried going back to softies on powder days and I find it much easier to ride plates with tighter settings on the buckles and power straps. Kinda antithetical, eh?

Hope this helps,

Mark

Dynastar / Osin 4807 178 with plates. It rocks!

Me too!

On a less fluffy/lower snow day, I might go with my 162 Arbor freeride, or maybe my new BX board - can't say for sure 'cause I haven't gotten it up to the hill yet. It's a 172 though and fairly wide, so I'm thinking it will float fairly well.

bowls, swallow tails sure are nice though if you're accessing the backcountry with a sled

trees, something in the 170s thats got 27ish cm waist

always in softboots with those

If the snow is really wet and I want to haul I'll take out the GS stick, this does not work in dry snow for me though

I ride a 200 Tanker on powder days also (Thanks RJ :biggthump ), But I do have a few swallowtails that also get used just as much,they are all great boards and all ride a little different.

185 Winterstick swallowtail

185 Rossi Undertaker

185 Wasatch Mojo (soon to be another splitboard)

176 PriorPow Stick

168 O-Sin 4807

I also have a few tapered boards that are fun in trees

165 Prior Khyber

159 Stepchild Ranquet

My 172 Smokin' Freeride and 177 Tanker are also great powder boards and get used quite a bit.

Search here for more details, but for cat or heli you really don't want an alpine board. The boots and bindings work fine, but you need to move them onto something designed for the terrain.

Powder mountain cats is recommending the Fish and the Malolo this season.

The boards feel pretty similar to ride, and work brilliantly with hard boots. These boards outperform other dedicated powder boards (see Future Snowboarding powder board test) when under expert feet, yet they can be ridden by beginners.

Watch for stance-width with some more traditional designs: it can be uncomfortable standing in the baggy-pants position in hard boots unless you've very long legs.

Burton Malolo w/softies. Had been trying other boards/setups w/o much satisfaction over the years. The Malolo handles very well in pow, yet threads trees easily due to its short, tapered length. For the resort riding I do, it works well enough on the firmer surfaces often found in between the tracked pow that it's still fun to ride everywhere.

This year I'm riding a 170 Khyber with (older)Nidecker 860 carbon softies...and it's SWEET!!! Lots of float with a big flat nose and short(ish) tail that makes it flickable in tight trees. Oh yea...it rips pretty well on the groomers too!

Got it from Hardbooter.com...

Well I thought I could do it all with my Coiler 19cm AM but over 8 inches today at Vail and I was having a bit of a tuff time in the bowls.Well more than a bit. Didnt bring my 4807, Im such a dumba$$

Every day in CO seems to be a powder day. What were you thinking?!?!

That's one of the reasons why I prefer NM for carving.