Note to New Members ×

Heard in the lift line - 2017/2018

Corey

So with this set up, lots of questions.  When it's a soft booter I usually ask: "Do you ride switch?"  If the answer is no, I usually say:  "I don't either, so I could never figure out why anyone would ride down the hill sideways.  I tried steeper angles, it just made more sense to me.  These are the same angles that my feet end up when I'm sliding down an icy sidewalk."

1.01.jpg

4 hours ago, bumpyride said:

So with this set up, lots of questions.  When it's a soft booter I usually ask: "Do you ride switch?"  If the answer is no, I usually say:  "I don't either, so I could never figure out why anyone would ride down the hill sideways.  I tried steeper angles, it just made more sense to me.  These are the same angles that my feet end up when I'm sliding down an icy sidewalk."

1.01.jpg

Hey, what gives with the taper on that thing?!?!

6 hours ago, bumpyride said:

1.01.jpg

What is that thing? Looks pretty cool.

I was one day riding in one almost empty place in up here, while sun softened the hardpack. The trenches were really deep. Then it got cloudy and the snow froze. I sat down by the lift, eating a snack, while a ski instructor girl came down all white and banged up, clearly frustrated, yelling right in front of me at the liftie nearby, that ""some f* asshole destroyed the slope..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Not quite a "heard in the lift line" but still pretty good I think! 

So, I was at Ragged Mountain in New Hampshire riding up the six pack with 5 skiers. It was soon after one of our n'easters that we got in March, conditions were really great! Lift lines were long, but trails were pretty much wide open! From the conversations by the 5 skiers, it sounded like they were all locals to Ragged. So I asked them if the crowds that particular Saturday(the busiest day of the week, if you ask me!) were of the normal busy day and they were saying it doesn't get this crowded normally! So I said that is great news for me as the type of snowboarding that I do, I use a lot of the terrain going across the fall line and crowds and carving don't quite go well together! So, from the end of the chair, this woman practically yells " YOU'RE THAT GUY!!!" And I go, "it depends, is it good or bad!" Then she says" Are you the guy that's been draggin' his elbows and hips in the snow on every turn? It's so pretty to watch! You make it look effortless! Keep up the good work!" I proceeded to say thank you and grin from ear to ear!

• Like 3

rode chair with a woman on a snowboard, she said "you ride like this guy on youtube. ever hear of ryan knapton?".

hours later on my last run a guy on a snowboard stopped me at the top and said, "dude you ride like ryan knapton!!! that's AWESOME". 

must be a glitch in the matrix.

16 hours ago, bobble said:

rode chair with a woman on a snowboard, she said "you ride like this guy on youtube. ever hear of ryan knapton?".

hours later on my last run a guy on a snowboard stopped me at the top and said, "dude you ride like ryan knapton!!! that's AWESOME". 

must be a glitch in the matrix.

That's pretty funny, I wonder if they know of him because he's originally from Minnesota and rode with the G-team, or is he just that famous for discovering carving? (don't get me wrong I love his videos and he's a great guy and awesome rider) But...so, were you doing the buttah's and riding switch and stuff?:eek:

Al and I rode together for 3 days at Indianhead (one pow day and 2 epic groomer days). We put on a good show of synchronized carving under the chair on FIS, and at the bottom of Winnebago (with the tower in the middle of the bottom steep). On day 2 we came into that steep section with 2 skiers standing over on the right side as we came flying over the lip. These 2 women fell in right behind us (it turns out they were waiting for us to come down) and at the bottom said "that looks so cool, I wanna do that". :eplus2: Next day, Al brought a Burton Alp with bindings to accommodate ski boots and gave them lessons! :biggthump

We had lots of comments about how much it looks like surfing (yup) and how effortless and graceful those turns look. :1luvu:

• Like 1

Got another liftee telling me that some day they have to try hardbooting because it looks like so much fun...to which I answered "you should, it is".

I think I got some applause from the chair as I was carving under it today...or someone was banging snow off of their gloves...I prefer to think I got an ovation...

At Whistler today, a kid was staring at me while I was stepping in, and I could tell he had something to say. Eventually...

Kid: Is that a carving board?
Me: Yes. It's super fun. You should try it.
Kid: No thanks.

There's a reason I don't work in marketing.

Heard an instructor behind me tell his student, "That's what they used to ride before they invented these -points to his Burton Custom-".

Board that day was a Kessler. Really wanted to say there is more technology in the nose of my board than his entire setup because I thought he may have thought I was on a 1980s vintage board, but then again figured he may have just meant hardboot boards in general, so instead I just smiled :) and said "yeah".

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2018 at 10:40 AM, BlueB said:

Top of our small park, just as I lifted my hand to signal the drop in, I heard behind me: "Alpine board, WTF?!?". I really wanted to hear what they had to say when I jumped a spin... 

Probably the same thing I would've said seeing someone on an alpine board doing spins...

@dhamann and I rode the chair with a gentleman (mid-late 50s?) on a freeride board and softboots.  He said "I love watching you guys ride, I want to try that someday!"  I had seen him riding earlier and he's a few levels down from being ready.  I said yeah it's super fun, but you don't have to buy anything at first, really the first step is to learn how to really carve on your existing gear.  He responded "Oh I carve!  I love carving." He was not doing anything remotely resembling carving.  I tried to elaborate by explaining about being able to change edges before the board points downhill, and carving the downhill edge.  Not sure he understood right then, but we took a run with him.  Hopefully the lightbulb came on.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Riding a chair at Cardrona today with 3 skiers, all on carving skis. One of the 2 guys to my left asks " What do you call that?". "That" is a pimped Riot Supercarve with Bomber UPM plate mechanicals and a DIY extra long plate made from an F2 Eliminator reinforced with unidirectional carbon fibre. Before I get a chance to reply, a laconic "Magnificent" comes from the Australian on my right. ?

• Like 5