Note to New Members ×

Anybody Riding Same Angles Front and Back?

barryj

60/60 here.  this is what i find the least pressure on my back knee.
Start out with 5 degree splay and ride that for a long while. 
Got decent but then my knee went FUBAR and try 60/60, sometime 60/63(back) feel even better 🙂  

• Like 1

......mainly asking as my ankle isn't as flexible these days, 2 months post surgery.

On  my wider boards I've tried to run the boot/binder angle out to the just under the edge at  40/45 for no  "Underboot"   ....... which I'm infamous for....but my ankle ain't having it!   After day 2 back on the hill I had to move up to 45/50 and still last night Ouchy for day 3! 

Now I'm at 50/55 and I'll give that a go Fri. night under the lights up at Boreal.

Last night I got 6 laps top to bottom runs in before my ankle is done...which is an improvement from only 4 laps the first 2 outings! 

We shall see.......

It feels right to me with parallel angles. Even on my powder boards. My back knee doesn't like less angle than front and even better with back knee slightly more positive. Everybody's different. Like the above comments do what feels the best and still have good power on both edges.

• Like 1

Yep 45 45 43 43 for 39 years same stance I used for skating, surfing, with board and upper body pointing forward it gives me the quickest most powerful feed or response to either frontside or backside Carves        My 3 straps allows the legs as opposed to Ankles to provide the Angulation which for 99.99% of SB is not the technique they are wanting due to the Ankles being so Restricted 😁

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, barryj said:

......mainly asking as my ankle isn't as flexible these days, 2 months post surgery.

Only 2 months! When I broke the index finger on my dominant hand a few years ago and had 3 screws put in as part of the surgical repair, it took 12 months of daily motion exercises to regain full mobility and for the swelling around the joint to finally settle right down. Finger works 98% of what it used to, just a few degrees less motion the the joints alongside it.

Do your physio and be patient. Tweak your settings in the meantime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Only 2 months!

Yeah,  doing all the PT and following Dr. guidelines.  He's letting me back on the Hill at 2 months+ (surgery was Nov. 29th)  mostly because I ride Hard boots.  It's like a cast and perfect support and protection for the ankle surgery he says.  Doc. says If I was  a soft booter  he wouldn't let me on the hill for another month+ .

I hope to get out for day #  4 & 5 Fri. and Sun. on my forgiving Moss PQ60 Pow board (hopefully for more than 6 runs! per trip.) and if that goes well I'm going to take  out my Coiler Angrry with my stiffer boots next Weds and see if I got any Hard Charging Carving left in me!!   

thread jack - i don't feel less degree get more leverage?
I have 26.5 mondo boots 60/60 on 20cm waist
try less degree on 23cm waist just doesn't feel right and hurts the knee.
What is wrong with me?  oh god so many things... lol 🤣

1 hour ago, pow4ever said:

try less degree on 23cm waist just doesn't feel right and hurts the knee.

Ditto!

But!  Question?  Do  steeper/higher  angles on wider boards put more stress on ankles??     I'm not sure....yet! 

with steeper angles, narrow boards, ie: 65/60, 60/60, 60/55, I tinker more with toe-raise & heel-lift, minimal inward canting.

opposite w shallower angles, wider board, ie: 50/45 45/45 or 45/40, I think more about inWard canting w stance width.

It All needs to feel neutral and comfortable when locked in, on the carpet.

the older I get, the more I try shit that feels better and works, even though it used to be wrong ; )

• Like 1

Barry, your high angles on wide boards (underhang) means the edge has a LOT of leverage on you. It takes a lot more effort to load the edge when it's far from your toes and heels. 

A decent rule to live by: Whenever you are doing something different than everyone else, it's time for a test to see if everyone else is wrong or if you are wrong. You owe it to yourself to at least try putting your toes and heels on the edge. Maybe even 1cm over if you're feeling extra bold! 

I put bindings set for a 20cm board on a 22cm board for a test run - I wouldn't have thought it would matter that much, but man, was it ever a lot of work! Rideable, but I didn't want to do it all day! 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Corey said:

You owe it to yourself to at least try putting your toes and heels on the edge.

Been there done that....multiple times from all 

57 minutes ago, Corey said:

(underhang) means the edge has a LOT of leverage on you. It takes a lot more effort to load the edge when it's far from your toes and heels

I believe you Corey....but it doesn't feel that way to me.  Steeper angles, no matter the board width feels normal.  I've been riding the same steeper angles on all my boards...even my wakeboard! 

What I've learned from this most recent attempt at  angle reduction (since the two surgeries) is it's tough on my ankle to be standing sideways at these lower angles but facing forward.   I have so much facing forward hip  rotation happening I drift left even when just  trying to go straight at moderate speed coming into the lifts. 

On my 1 day out last week I reduced to 40/45, then on 2nd day I moved up to 45/50, and now at 50/55 for tomorrows test.

Bad, bad binding bias! 

Maybe it made sense long ago, when boards were very skinny and stances narrow. However, it leads to overutilizing front foot on heel side turns and back foot on the toe side turns. 

16 minutes ago, BlueB said:

Bad, bad binding bias! 

Maybe it made sense long ago, when boards were very skinny and stances narrow. However, it leads to overutilizing front foot on heel side turns and back foot on the toe side turns. 

Which is the worse sin that BarryJ can commit in Father BlueB's eyes? Underhang or bias?

Warning for younger and impressionable viewers. The wide board in this video is being ridden with high angles and lots of binding bias.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Corey said:

Barry, your high angles on wide boards (underhang) means the edge has a LOT of leverage on you. It takes a lot more effort to load the edge when it's far from your toes and heels. ...

On that, I find I can't ride wide boards with narrow stances on hardpack. I mean: I have to have my toes and heels near the edge, unless I'm riding powder in which case it's irrelevant. Hence my ideal board is one with a width which is precisely the width of my angled boots, which are on 40/35.

The separation I think is a personal thing. But then all this is - whatever works is correct, I reckon. So long as you experimented, and probably not thirty years ago as gear has changed somewhat.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

binding bias?

Hey  SS,

Yep..... been a long time fan of  "The Word That Shall Not Be Spoken!"  _ _ _ _ _ _ _  Bias.

All my boards, from my Moss PQ60 Pow to the (I'm too scared to ride it!) newly minted MK Mutant are set up bias.

I've tried all these boards without it and for the mutant I am Bias works for me..... 

If the Oxess RS164 with Allflex inserts I bought ever shows up!! I am going to set that up normal with TD3 SW SI's to start as a baseline before I add the Allflex Carve Plate and BP lower assembly. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, barryj said:

Been there done that....multiple times from all 

I believe you Corey....but it doesn't feel that way to me.  Steeper angles, no matter the board width feels normal.  I've been riding the same steeper angles on all my boards...even my wakeboard! 

What I've learned from this most recent attempt at  angle reduction (since the two surgeries) is it's tough on my ankle to be standing sideways at these lower angles but facing forward.   I have so much facing forward hip  rotation happening I drift left even when just  trying to go straight at moderate speed coming into the lifts. 

On my 1 day out last week I reduced to 40/45, then on 2nd day I moved up to 45/50, and now at 50/55 for tomorrows test.

On wider boards I can get speed wobbles if I am riding too high angles.  But if you are used to riding steep angles and want to try low angles on wide boards, I think you need to incrementally adjust your stance and let your reflexes acclimate.  I normally ride 65/60 and even adjusting to 60/55 felt really alien for a few weeks.  Then I went to 55/50 on that board and it took another month to get comfortable with it.  The wide board definitely rides better with the shallow stance, and now I can swap between my narrow boards with 65/60 to the wider board at 55/50 without any mental dissonance.

• Like 2