Note to New Members ×

A Cautionary Tale

Carvin' Marvin

Lesson learn. Glad both of you were alright. A few weeks ago a ski instructor with a group of 8 we're doing a lesson in a blind spot at the end of a cat track where most people ride fast to get to that run. After we avoided them they soon realized they were in danger and moved on. 

• Like 1

This is why I am hyper paranoid and generally am more reserved on runs than pretty much anyone.

I truly believe at any time, Lindsey Vonn in jeans and a beer belly is about to ram into me..

Glad you are ok.

Edited by Odd Job
  • Like 3
  • LOL 3

It's spring break week at our local mountain so lots of straight liners.  On Monday I was clipped three times, once within 20 feet of the lift.  One kid even scolded me for not checking uphill before I turned.  

I look uphill all the time and usually pull over as I need lots of room on steep runs.  There are times where I can't look up often enough as people just come out of nowhwere.  Makes me appricite the MCC no passing rule everytime.  

CarvinMarvin - Glad it turned out OK for both of you and everyone was appologetic. Just seems that there are times when you are going to get hit.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. I feel extremely fortunate that the guy didn’t use my head as a big air jump. It was close. Especially after hearing @barryjand others stories.  I work at the trauma center in Vail so there isn’t a work day that goes by where I don’t see at least a few major injuries. I had definitely gotten way too comfortable and learned a valuable lesson in self control and awareness. I think the image of that guy starfishing down the mountain will be burned into my brain forever. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, yamifumi said:

it reminds me to be vigilant to stay safe. 

Damn Straight!   After my accident or such a close call as Carvin's,  I can tell ya your anxiety is on Red Alert!  for any and all traffic!  Everything and Every Body is a Potential Threat!! 

Really wears me out mentally here at Palisades  at the start of a day to walk out to the step-in spot and there are 30+ people vying for an opening!    Not even on the hill and already STRESSED!

I gotten to where I only barely feel safe night riding up at Boreal because there are so very few people out there and all the additional lighting really helps my diminish my paranoia!!

Stay Safe Out There Boys!!

Oof. Seems like there has not been a slowdown to the season anywhere. Ski Cooper last Saturday at the Donek demo was awesome. 2 more days to ride there this season will be worth using. Glad you both were unscathed

Edited by slopestar

I typically ride behind my kids blocking a best as I can because of this behiavior

Few yrs back was riding mid week on a run that often is closed off as a funrun with just the right angle, groom and visibility. Resort is empty and we lapped a few runs without anyone on the run

I'm on 1/4 of the run on the side with metronomic turns practicing getting low as an old skier straightlines down and skis over my head.  Lights out!

couldnt open my jaw for days and thank god for my thick kevlar helmet or it would be over.  Old man was broken up and took a trip to the local hospital with multiple fractures. I got a CT of the head out of the deal and a big US sized hospital bill. Sadly my carving has been curtailed its just too dangerous to be on runs where people think they can straightline.  Im off to the trees, backside of resort and sidecountry where I manage the risk of the run not the assholes on the run

Edited by neanderthal
  • Like 3

Glad to hear you both weren't hurt. Sometimes people get tunnel vision like the skier above. You never know if he has scratched up pair of goggles.... or is skiing with macular degeneration.

I treat everyone like they can't see me.

And try to make sure no one has the possibility to overtake me while I'm riding- ie BIG gaps.

But this year I got closed out by a bunch of 6 mediocre skiers that had bunched up (they started out 1 by 1 ) and tweaked my ankle to avoid them. The product of Ikon Saturdays at Aspen.

• Like 1

Had a close call today at A-Basin. It's the turn-off after the slow-sign (near West Wall); you can go right to head towards the Lenawee chair.

Some people take far skiers left on Lenawee face; I turned around to look, saw no one, went right and traversed, me and a skier almost collided; some old geezer with tunnel vision likely from that area I mentioned above. Dark blue jacket against a background of white (high elevation). I can't believe I missed that geezer on my look behind me.

I *think* he came from a stop maybe directly to my right as I looked behind me, of course when I started the traverse after looking, I was in front of him. I wasn't even in carving mode. I was just "riding along" braking here and there... wow.

Serious spring break wtfs.

I usually treat any person that stops on a ridge like a potential straightline douche bag.  Most of the good skiers that I see don’t want to break their flow,  but people that have to stop and size-up the situation are likely going to give up turning on the steeps.  I’ll pretty much always stop if there is another person waiting on a ridge and wait for them to go first.  Sometimes it turns into the Bennie Hill show with no, you go… no, YOU go… NO, YOU GO…

*yakkity sax intensifies*