Note to New Members ×

Best GoPro accessories for recording carving

1xsculler

In my hands a chest mount is steadiest. I have a DIY one using a large plastic plate against my chest to minimise shake and integrated into my hydration backpack straps.

Hand helds shake, helmet mounts move as your head tracks the traffic around you.

Stabilisation software during processing essential for most human mounted shooting.

A powered gimbal makes a big difference.

Drones that track the rider do a great job where they are permitted.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

In my hands a chest mount is steadiest. I have a DIY one using a large plastic plate against my chest to minimise shake and integrated into my hydration backpack straps.

Hand helds shake, helmet mounts move as your head tracks the traffic around you.

Stabilisation software during processing essential for most human mounted shooting.

A powered gimbal makes a big difference.

Drones that track the rider do a great job where they are permitted.

Do you have a photo for that mount?

Also, what are your thoughts on helmet mounts? In your opinion, are they unsafe? 

After buying a Hero 9 at Target which caused me to do more research I am wondering why I would want one if my iPhone will do the job. 
I found it interesting that the 9 is $449 at Target and in the box is a coupon to buy one from GoPro for $349 so even if I decide I need one the obvious choice would be to return the one to Target. 

I use a collapsible selfie stick and GoPro9.  The stabilization built in the camera is amazing.  I have not had to use the computer to stabilize any of the footage I have shot this year.There is even an auto level to the horizon function.  Simply an amazing camera for the money.  

With the selfie stick you can either shoot yourself or just extend it a foot and shoot a buddy.  

@johnasmo uses a helmet chinbar mount.  

This looks like a pretty simple option.  Your head is a pretty good natural gimbal.  https://www.prostandard.com/products/the-grill-mount-the-best-mouth-mount-for-gopro-cameras

3 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

I am wondering why I would want one if my iPhone will do the job. 

If you have a competent buddy willing to follow you, any camera will work. That video you liked of me riding my Angry down a prairie run was shot on an old iPhone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's even better to have the buddy with the camera on skis.

I had thought that my head would be a good gimbal, and set up a chinbar GoPro mount on a full face helmet. But with the amount of traffic where I normally ride the amount of head movement from me maintaining situational awareness makes for poor footage.

Tracking someone else riding is generally a different thing from recording one's own freeriding. There I'm concentrating on keeping them in frame and the distance right, rather than trying to carve myself. Again, traffic levels make a big difference to how safe being so fixated on one place while riding.

@daveo
I'll get a photo and post it over the weekend.

22 hours ago, Corey said:

If you have a competent buddy willing to follow you, any camera will work

Agree!   Competency is Key! 

I've seen great footage from android and iphones when the user knows it's ability and limits........and your likely to get crap footage from high end equipment  in the hands of some video lackey conscripted on the Mtn.

Edited by barryj

22 hours ago, dredman said:

This looks like a pretty simple option.  Your head is a pretty good natural gimbal.  https://www.prostandard.com/products/the-grill-mount-the-best-mouth-mount-for-gopro-cameras

Someone product-ized tooth cam! 

Remember the one I made from a $10 sport mouth guard and a 50 cent metal bracket back in 2009?  Still keep it in the car in case I need a hands free without a full face helmet.  Did some decent follow-cam with that thing 10 years ago at SES before I even had a GoPro:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL64D63458871D06C6

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 6:55 PM, dredman said:

I use a collapsible selfie stick and GoPro9.  The stabilization built in the camera is amazing.  I have not had to use the computer to stabilize any of the footage I have shot this year.There is even an auto level to the horizon function.  Simply an amazing camera for the money.

This! I have a hero 7, which is the first one that had truly amazing image stabilization, I would say that it or greater is required, or spend an equal amount on a gimbal accessory. 

One of @Ryan Knaptons tips for use on a pole is to flip the camera so it faces down not up. Your face is covered with helmet, goggles and especially now mask, everyone is more interested in your board action than your head that they can't even see looking around the mountain. 

I know this is a gopro thread specifically thought I'd just put in a word for the Sony FDR X3000. The lens has a gimbal mechanism built in. It's really effective. I uploaded a bunch of videos from about 5 years ago and found this one which I think shows how effective it is. Keep in mind that's a direct mount.

Embedded vid is 480p, you can switch it to 1080p in quality options if you open it in YouTube with this link.

This was a casual cruise home for lunch. This is the worst possible position to mount a camera. The lens gets completely covered with snow on the first turn of every carving run.

I think that was one of the lower bitrate recordings from when I didn't really know how to use the camera.

Edited by daveo
  • Like 1

I like that backbag option lot, specially when pow riding. Just tested yesterday first time another option, which needs some adjustment but could be better for slopes. I had problem not notifying that my cam was not properly tightened to selfie stick.

7 hours ago, daveo said:

I know this is a gopro thread specifically thought I'd just put in a word for the Sony FDR X3000. The lens has a gimbal mechanism built in. It's really effective. I uploaded a bunch of videos from about 5 years ago and found this one which I think shows how effective it is. Keep in mind that's a direct mount.

Embedded vid is 480p, you can switch it to 1080p in quality options if you open it in YouTube with this link.

This was a casual cruise home for lunch. This is the worst possible position to mount a camera. The lens gets completely covered with snow on the first turn of every carving run.

I think that was one of the lower bitrate recordings from when I didn't really know how to use the camera.

With a UBC-C to Lightening dongle can you watch GoPro recordings on your iPhone?

3 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

From a go pro or a Sony to my iPhone. 

Well the easier way might be to just put the micro sd card from the camera into your phone. That's what I do anyway. Others might have better solutions. 

For recording your buddy, I would use a GoPro 9 on a collapsible stick, The 9 as great image stabilization and horizon leveling... For recording your self, a 360 cam is great... I use the Insta360 ONE X2 and loving it...

With the Insta360 ONE X2 on a 1,2m stick, held in my right hand:

Edited by Technick
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 1:42 PM, pokkis said:

I like that backbag option lot, specially when pow riding. Just tested yesterday first time another option, which needs some adjustment but could be better for slopes. I had problem not notifying that my cam was not properly tightened to selfie stick.

How was the camera mounted here? looks good.

If you look that tube cover photo, you see white thing behind my rear boot attached to plate. It is wall flag pole holder, it holds selfie stick. That was first test run on slushy day, unfortunately camera was poorly tightened and it was partially loose. But i will do some other fixes too during summer.

Best accessory?  My girlfriend 🤣  Really, she loves filming.  GoPro8 with helmet mount.  She's pretty good at following me around. I also have a 3ft stick and I've recently acquired a 9ft one!  Haven't tried it yet.  I've got some ideas on how to film using it; lay down a carve under it or follow a layed down carved from the front or rear (with the arm extended, that'd be good for about a 7m radius)

I've stopped using board mounts as I've had the camera ejected a few times as the mount didn't stick properly (probably 'cause of the cold temps)