Note to New Members ×

Covid #'s trending down in Canada

lowrider

3 hours ago, Corey said:

I'm really curious how an actual cotton or medical masks will work with condensation, freezing, and goggles on cold days. Neck buffs work but studies have shown they are effectively useless at filtering droplets. i.e. They'll satisfy the rules of wearing a 'mask' but don't actually help. 

Maybe a benefit for us in colder areas is that those droplets will freeze and fall to the ground faster? 

I fell in love with simple cotton bandanas; think of a wild west bank robber, but with goggles closing the top. Sadly, this 100% does not meet the function or intent of a Covid mask as very little air goes through the fabric. Air goes out the bottom and sides if you drape it over the top of your jacket. 

My understanding about masks, even the disposable medical masks that pass as acceptable in polite society, is that they are about as effective as coughing into your elbow.  Their only purpose is to knock down sizeable droplets.  They do nothing for vapor.  They don't filter very small particles or protect the wearer.  Most of your breath goes out the sides of a medical mask also, like your bandana.  You can easily see this on a cold day.  Or if you clamp one tightly to your face with your hands, suddenly the breathing experience is more difficult.

So I don't see why any special kind of mask should be mandated for skiing/snowboarding beyond what we typically wear on a cold day.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I may be repeating myself but here goes:

1.  The 2 most dangerous words in the English language are "I THINK".

2.  The 3 most dangerous words in the English language are "IN MY OPINION".

Because you think or have an opinion, it does not make it right.  Facts make right.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jack M said:

My understanding about masks, even the disposable medical masks that pass as acceptable in polite society, is that they are about as effective as coughing into your elbow.  Their only purpose is to knock down sizeable droplets.  They do nothing for vapor.  They don't filter very small particles or protect the wearer.  Most of your breath goes out the sides of a medical mask also, like your bandana.  You can easily see this on a cold day.  Or if you clamp one tightly to your face with your hands, suddenly the breathing experience is more difficult.

So I don't see why any special kind of mask should be mandated for skiing/snowboarding beyond what we typically wear on a cold day.

There is a difference between mask types (see this article or the image below). All masks protect others, some masks protect the wearer better. All masks protect better than coughing into your elbow simply because you constantly shed vapor particles, coughing is not the only time when you could expose others.

Screenshot 2020-11-20 092027.jpg

• Like 1

In my opinion  I think any mask that restricts your breathing is doing a better job than one that is not. A positive respirator with a bottle on my back won't work well with a Skwal. Full face helmet might be the way to go. An N95 with a valve in it is just spewing vapour your way if that's what your friends are wearing keep away from those guys.

6 hours ago, Jack M said:

Most of your breath goes out the sides of a medical mask also, like your bandana.  You can easily see this on a cold day.

I see exploratory (and amateur) science experiments in my future! Nice idea. Steve Mould, eat your heart out! 

Clamping a mask against your mouth greatly reduces the filter size, and therefore adds restriction. You can see this with any other face covering, like neck buffs. That's why masks are big and not just a piece of tube you stick in your mouth. (Ignoring nostrils) 

Not getting better any time soon. People just seem to be getting bitchy about everything. Local bump will require advance booking  but opening is at least a few weeks away. Ski shops are reporting huge demand but stock is limited not looking good for uncrowded slopes looking like on some days I will have to two plank it.

So far, our hill is looking ok. Booking required for day tickets, but not for annual pass. Lift lines are relatively big, due to 2/chair policy, but it results in less people on slopes. 

People seem to be behaving quite well too. 

• Like 1

Well, crap. Something hit me real hard yesterday. Had the deep swab today, now I wait for results. I'm 90% recovered in 24 hours. 

The worst part is my kid being stuck out of school until I get a negative result. I get it; this is a minor sacrifice for the community and world. Doesn't mean it doesn't suck to miss school and time with friends... 

I've heard stories about how bad the test is. Meh... I mean, I wouldn't do it on purpose, but it's not even as bad as getting a bit of water in your nose. Though it felt like he was trying to tune in a radio station as he spun it around. 😉

People protesting outside the home of our Provincial Premier. Not a smart move to say the least. Why don't people understand the more they resist the more it's going to cost them today and for years to come ??? I wonder how people would react if it were an alien invasion.

3 hours ago, Chouinard said:

As soon as they open the border!

Don't let us in.  We are a country comprised of close to 50% of idiots, which means if you ride up a chair with an American you have nearly a 50% chance of sitting next to an idiot.  (I resemble that remark).

• Like 3

Look on the bright side. The news here this morning said that by the end of November last year we had over 100 cases of (real) influenza in Alberta. This year we have - one. So your chances of catching that have gone down at least!

• Like 1

I've just finished two weeks of isolation. Got tested after my occasional allergy cough changed. Aside from the cough, I had body aches like a bad flu, occasional chills, joint pain, but no fever. Tight chest for a few days, but SpO2 stayed about 96. Indigestion, painful wind, and finally diarrhea. Easily slept sixteen hours a day. My wife symptoms were similar, but she had headaches too. Just thankful it was not worse. 

I now think the most likely source of the infection was my wife's kindergarten classroom. The week before symptoms started had been the last week of hybrid, and the school district had been slow to react to the fast increasing number of local cases.

The up side might be that I can feel a little more comfortable going to the ski hill. Knowing it's possible to get reinfected with a different mutation, I'll still be very careful. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Went sledding with the kid today. 1 kid (and zero parents) wearing a face mask out of the 30-ish there. Minimal social distancing. 

It's a big hill, didn't take much effort at all to stay 10' away from others. Sigh... Just try a little bit, people! 

These same people are going to complain even more when we get an even harsher lockdown... 

• Like 2

On the upside here in Saskatchewan, the recent government mandates appear to be working. We had a few days of 400+ new cases/day which is alarming for a province of only 1.1 million people. However the 7 day rolling average is back under 200. Unfortunately the lagging stat of deaths is still happening, especially since it got into some of the nursing homes. Compared to our neighbours to the south though we are doing fine. We are sitting at 114 deaths/million. Montana is at 859. North Dakota is 1663. What the hell?  Nearly 15X worse in North Dakota???

This is where lack of national leadership is again endangering the US. The US ranks 43rd in Genetic sequencing of the virus. It may be everywhere, but we'll be the last to know. This is important because most elementary schools are planning to go back full time in person. If as some evidence shows, the new variants are able to infect younger children at a much higher rate, we might be sitting on a time bomb.

Edited by BobD