Note to New Members ×

Covid #'s trending down in Canada

lowrider

1 hour ago, ursle said:

Not looking good in Canada.  https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-canada

I'm spending my time Skate Skiing and Fat Biking.  It's not quite as fast, but a lot better exercise, and can be a bit of a thrill going down a steep hill with a curve coming up both on bike and on skinny skis.  Studded Gnarwahl tires are a real plus.

1 hour ago, lowrider said:

Quebec is now under curfew 8pm to 5 am Ontario likely to do the same on Tuesday. Enjoy your turns and share your pictures.

My local hill (Bromont) changed their hours so the hill closes @ 19.30. Daily pass holders start earlier on Sat/Sun(8.00) and Night passes also have their starting time dropped to mid-afternoon.

Side-effect is that most night pass holders leave around 18.30(as they have to be home before curfew) leaving the hill empty 'til 19.30... So I may do some 18.00-19.30 stints weekdays when I work from the cottage.

Right now, I'm wishing for snow.  As much as our hill have been making snow about only 50% of the terrain is open which makes for more crowded runs.

Curfew apparently off the table in Ontario because health and political leaders say people won't respect the curfew anyway. Now There's a new way to show leadership. Sort of like the  movie about Gandi where he says I have to go and catch up to my followers

• 3 weeks later...

I just learned that St. Louis Moonstone changed their refund policy.  They were offering a 100% refund (regardless if you skied or not) or 30% off next season if you kept your pass.  I chose to keep my pass.  After the province announced the stay at home order and extension of the lockdown they changed their policy to a tiered system.  After skiing only 1 day I will loose $275.81 on my pass, and $229.84 on Tyler's pass.  St. Louis is a family run hill, and I want to support them, but this seems a bit much.

I don't want to see any hill go bust but i think a class action law suit is just around the corner if they don't smarten up and do what's right. I would sooner see the gov't shut them down for the rest of the season rather than keep dangling a carrot over our heads and letting us ski 3 hrs. at a time if your lucky enough to win their lottery. Keep my money and issue a new membership for next season seems like a pretty good solution for both parties.

• 1 month later...

Got my second dose of the Moderna Monday. Sore shoulder the next morning and felt a little lazy the next day, same as the first dose, but 20 hours after the shot I had a pretty good reaction; fever chills, aches, loss of appetite, fatigue, etc.

Woke up feeling fine the next morning. The funny thing is, I could swear my sense of smell is more sensitive now. I'm walking around my tiny house going, "where's that smell coming from?". Same thing in my car. :eek:

I may have had Covid last March when I had the 'flu', before we knew all the weird symptoms (and I had some of them), but I don't recall losing smell or taste. You wouldn't expect a vaccine to do this, but I suppose it could be possible that it triggered my immune system to find some hidden dormant virus and finish it off. There's a lot we don't know about how this virus operates.

Man, I gotta do something about that smell now. :smashfrea 

Todays temp was 19 C season is all but over. Tomorrow is slush day. Parking lot is mud and Robins showed up yesterday to taunt me. Variant Covid on the rise after a week of lower numbers and Doctors are telling politicians to tighten up peoples activities. Emmerald Ash  bore has killed all our Ash trees so at least i've got something to do in my spare time. Happy Anniversary Covid !

Relaxed here as well but numbers creeping up again. Amazon distribution centre was ordered close 5000 staying home but Amazon is fighting decision by health officials. Changing boots in muddy parking lot is getting old quickly but the fact that bump is open now that all traces of snow have vanished everywhere else is still good for  mental health. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2021 at 7:09 AM, lowrider said:

Relaxed here as well but numbers creeping up again. Amazon distribution centre was ordered close 5000 staying home but Amazon is fighting decision by health officials. Changing boots in muddy parking lot is getting old quickly but the fact that bump is open now that all traces of snow have vanished everywhere else is still good for  mental health. 

I am a regular inside that Amazon (was there this morning).  After the shut down it is very different.  Less people in the building.  Switched from 1 entrance to 4 separate entrances.   Huge screening tents outside the building.  Voluntary rapid testing.  Mandatory Amazon issued disposable mask, etc.

Peel Health made a new rule that if a company gets 5 linked cases they can shut them down so I'm sure they are nervous about that as well.

On 4/18/2021 at 2:11 PM, bumpyride said:

Between lack of vaccines, lack of travel restrictions, variants and poor provincial leadership Ontario is on fire.   The variants spread like wild fire.  Just look at the Vancouver Canucks.

I got my first covid shot yesterday.  Even though I do service calls in the worst covid hot spots in all of Canada (manufacturing, food processing, warehousing, etc) I wouldn't qualify for Pfizer or Moderna until June.  I took Astra Zeneca.  My second shot of AZ is scheduled for July 20th, but I'm hoping to get it sooner.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Donnagail and I both got Pfizer. My arm was sore for a day or two, she had that and felt a little ill for a day. No 2nd shot scheduled yet. 

i got pfizer. i felt extremely fatigued two days later. i couldn't think straight. took time off from work and slept all day. felt a little better next day.

my 2nd dose is next week.

• Like 1

Reactions on shots have been mostly nothing special.  1st shot is mostly sore arm, and a few with a feeling of malaise.  2nd shot has been all over the board, but nobody falling falling off the board.  Best recommendations for the 2nd shot is to have Ibuprofen or Alleve or Tylenol taken a couple of hours after the 2nd shot, and keep the dose up for up to a day afterwards.  I got a short case of the chills about 16 hours later (sleep in between) and then a mild sweat that went away after I took some more Ibuprofen (I had missed the dosage when sleeping).

Recommendations:  Netflix, Blankets, Heating Pad on hand.  

Most everyone that I know has had similar results and just a day of not wanting to do much of anything.

On another note:  Several of the people that were Deniers in Big Sky have ended up in Hospital and damn sick.  So you either get vaccinated or your going to eventually catch it and then it's truly a crap shoot on what happens and how severely you're affected, if you're affected at all.

• Thanks 1

Moderna for me.  Arm sore for a day or 2, really bad brain fog and muscle aches 20 hrs after.  Left work and had A 2 hour nap, felt better after. Shot 2 on May day at 8:30am, hope it doesn't screw up my Sunday riding.  Thanks for the advice on the anti inflammatory,, it confirms what A few have said, I will be sure to partake

Mario

We're all vaxxed where I work... I got Moderna'd and several ppl around me got Pfizer. We even have a couple of J&J ppl. Nobody really had anything more than a headache.

At for me all I had was a sore arm for a day. Honestly the second shot was easier than the first. 

I'm wondering if there is some sort of reverse placebo effect - you know, people say that there are side effects so anything we feel is automatically amplified and refocused.