Note to New Members ×

Covid #'s trending down in Canada

lowrider

As things open numbers are under control as cases trend down. Major cities are mandating wearing of masks as a condition of entering public buildings. How you'all doing ? (side note for Sunsurfer) I see Hutt had record opening #'s and no social distancing in lift lines, riding a full six pack just to rub it in ! Have fun on  your August trip !

• LOL 1

3 hours ago, JRAZZ said:

I mean by November we should have 200,000 deaths here so the slopes should be nice and empty!

That's very dark. I laughed! 🤣

We have extremely low numbers in central Canada. Helps that we have low population density. People still social distance, but relatively few wear masks given the low numbers. 

The problem is the opening up of society after lockdown. The current Covid resurgence and reinstatement of lockdown in the state of Victoria in Australia, after a significant period of very low case numbers is a cautionary tale.

On the other hand, it does mean no Aussies on the slopes here. Fresh powder and school holidays had Cardrona reporting full carparks  a couple of days ago so good for the businesses running the fields. Last 3 weeks have seen lots of weather systems out of the Southern Ocean landing snow on the mountains here.

Having coped through summer by mountain biking while others rode Turner @ MCC, now it's my turn for snow bliss. For me, summer's waiting makes the winter snow all the sweeter.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Chouinard said:

@lowrider It’s been three weeks since the CAD Thanksgiving...any related spikes in cases?

Cases are around 1000 per day up from 800 death were 16 yesterday for Ontario. Hospitals in Toronto are running at  close to 100 % beds full. Not a run on emergency for ventilators or anything like the start but hospital staff are frustrated that people are taxing the resources when they shouldn't need to. Everything is playing out as experts predicted. It's entirely up to us to behave responsibly we know what has to be done and it's pretty basic. Looks like some local bumps are preparing to use reservation for hill access. Don't know if you will have access to Northern Ontario ski hills looks like border is closed till months end at least. 

Alberta's not looking great. We were rolling around 100 new cases a day a month ago, but now that's up to 500 a day and has the people in charge rumbling about "extra measures". RCR has put their hills on reservation, and have yet to release their discount cards, so presumably they're going to limit on hill numbers. Sunshine/Lake Louise look like they're trying for business as usual.

I'm thinking about putting this season in the "too hard" basket. The one saving grace is that I work on the weekends at accounting month end and can pull lieu days midweek. I also have a ton of vacation days to use. Maybe riding mdweek powder won't be so bad.

Edited by Allee

Numbers went exponential in the prairies about a week ago, much worse than the first peak. 

My daughter just said that she wants to give skiing another chance - after writing it off previously. Impeccable timing... 

What  difference a week makes !!! Out of control and no clear plan. It's getting serious now. Spent the last week fixing and painting my trail groomers . Fired up the skidozer and removed and resealed the transmission. Ready for a season of stay at home and play. Next project new pistons and cylinders for the Skidoo Alpine . Hard to believe anti maskers and sneaky behavior has screwed this up so quickly ! Ontario and most provinces are reporting increasing numbers of covid day after day no sign of flattened curve ??????

On 11/5/2020 at 7:11 PM, Neil Gendzwill said:

Not really exponential in Saskatchewan. Manitoba getting hit hard though. 

Yeah, we're in code Red, 4 weeks of lockdown starting today. Interestingly, schools are still in-person. Transmission rates are quite low in schools - I'm assuming because mask compliance is mandatory.  

Word on the street is that milk is the thing to hoard this time. What are you going to do with a freezer full of milk? 

The local grocery store had a mountain of toilet paper built up.  They're ready! 

• LOL 1

On 11/5/2020 at 1:32 PM, Corey said:

My daughter just said that she wants to give skiing another chance - after writing it off previously. Impeccable timing... 

My daughter too. I think it's the staying at home part that got her. I can't even get to a shop to get her boots!

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 3:32 PM, Corey said:

Word on the street is that milk is the thing to hoard this time. What are you going to do with a freezer full of milk? 

The local grocery store had a mountain of toilet paper built up.  They're ready! 

Pshaw, milk? Here in Portland, you'll know it's an emergency when the store is out of oat milk and kale. This happens every time it snows more than 1/4" 🤣

• LOL 3

20 hours ago, Dan said:

Pshaw, milk? Here in Portland, you'll know it's an emergency when the store is out of oat milk and kale. This happens every time it snows more than 1/4" 🤣

Well were in it now power has been out for 25 hrs not expected back on for another 48 the milk is getting warm good distraction from covid. 100 km winds have left a mess.

Numbers are climbing here and people are trying to find every loophole they can. Provincial government said enough is enough: 

"new health orders will take effect at 12:01 a.m. Friday that will restrict people from going into the home, cottage or other private residence of another person."

Not much to debate in that rule! 

Disappointing that people are looking at this as an exercise in finding loopholes. JFC people, if the US could have distanced and masked as well as Japan, we'd be looking at under 10k deaths in the US right now. As it is, we've surpassed the number of dead in Vietnam, and I imagine we'll surpass the 320k US deaths in WW1 in the next few months. Just sad that we're so unwilling to do the minimum. 

Stubborn and stupid is one way to live but to think of the message young people are getting about the way society works (isn't ) today is down right sad. Our numbers are over 1400 today  and only going up. Mask are in full use in public but it seems the problems are coming from gatherings of any nature, religious celebrations,  birthdays, etc. Had a few days of freezing weather and local bump started snowmaking. FB showing huge numbers of people are interest in season starting Looks like the making of a soon to be giant fuster cluck. As Corey mentioned above looks like things are getting shut down till Dec 18th in Manitoba. Gov't announcement coming  tomorrow and I'm expecting the same here. Never really used face coverings in cold weather but I'm going to have to come up with something to meet the new requirements. Can anyone suggest what works for them that doesn't end up looking like a huge snotsicle.

4 minutes ago, lowrider said:

Never really used face coverings in cold weather but I'm going to have to come up with something to meet the new requirements. Can anyone suggest what works for them that doesn't end up looking like a huge snotsicle.

Crystal Mountain has opened couple days ago, requiring wearing mask when you are "near other people".  In practice it means using masks in lift lines, while you ride lifts, go to bathrooms, etc.
I use regular medical masks in situations I have described above. It is impossible to ride in such mask. Simply not enough air. Mask become wet quite fast, what makes even harder to breath. However it still works for lifts and lines.

8 hours ago, lowrider said:

Can anyone suggest what works for them that doesn't end up looking like a huge snotsicle.

I'm really curious how an actual cotton or medical masks will work with condensation, freezing, and goggles on cold days. Neck buffs work but studies have shown they are effectively useless at filtering droplets. i.e. They'll satisfy the rules of wearing a 'mask' but don't actually help. 

Maybe a benefit for us in colder areas is that those droplets will freeze and fall to the ground faster? 

I fell in love with simple cotton bandanas; think of a wild west bank robber, but with goggles closing the top. Sadly, this 100% does not meet the function or intent of a Covid mask as very little air goes through the fabric. Air goes out the bottom and sides if you drape it over the top of your jacket.