Note to New Members ×

MacGyver Modifications and Repairs

Chouinard

How about a thread describing how your solved specific issues you encountered when setting up your gear OR a maintenance issues that you addressed to extend the useful life of your equipment rather than simply buying a new one.

Issue:  Wore a hole in my Palau liner with my ankle bone.

Fix:  Found "Tenacious Tape" online and the patch is going strong. Designed for Fabric, Nylon, Canvas, Mesh, Rubber & Vinyl. Don't get much in a roll [3" x 20"] but surprisingly it does not peal off the inside of the liner.

Issue: Pain on the outside of my heel in my old non-mouldable Stratos Pro liners where the Intec release cable pressed through onto flesh and bone. Took all the pleasure out of riding.

Fix: Swapped my Intec heels around so the cable was on the inside of my heel. Pain gone. Have stayed with cable on the inside even when moving to UPZ RC10s with Intuition Powerwrap mould able liners  

• Like 1

I now carry a tube of Shoe Goo with me when I travel. 

* Fintec heels are less deadly with a rubbery coating on them. 

* My favorite mitts are more Shoe Goo than leather on the palms now. (Confirmed hand dragger here!) As long as you can keep the edge of the goop off the snow, it'll last forever. If the edge touches snow, it'll peel off the base fabric over time. 

A little $1 Walmart knife that I properly sharpened has been really useful for random things. Won't cry if TSA confiscates it. 

Super Glue. Good for all kinds of plastic problems. Usually not as good as original, but will get you through the day/trip. Water cures it, so irrigate well before putting against your skin. 

Complimentary 20-year old airplane headphones have been lasting longer in my helmet than any of the 'nice' brands. Just break off the extra plastic you don't need. 

A T-handle 5mm key is a nice luxury for binding/board swaps. An L-shaped hex key feels like a cheap toy in comparison. 

I also carry an aluminum 3/8" ratchet handle and a matching 5mm hex bit. No idea what an aluminum ratchet was intended for, but it laughs at any stuck bolts I can't break loose with a T-handle. Rare that it comes out of the car, but it saves the day when needed. 

• Like 1

Correct! Life is directly related to how much concrete you walk on. I've burned through the rear corners in a day in Aspen walking between hotels and buses. It'll last a season or more if it just sees snow and lodge flooring. The heel bases don't touch the binding, so it doesn't affect step-ins. 

Come to think of it, I also use it on the toe blocks of UPZ boots. They're a little thinner than Deeluxe toes so it helps the Bomber toe bails sit better. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corey said:

Come to think of it, I also use it on the toe blocks of UPZ boots. They're a little thinner than Deeluxe toes so it helps the Bomber toe bails sit better. 

You got me thinking... I'm going to put some in each of the screw divots in the boot soles.  The rocks in the Paoli parking lot are just the right size that they get up in there....  I can always dig it out if I need to.

Hold my beer(even though i dont drink)...

1: Not so soft boots....

so my primary riding boots are Vans implants which are a mid flex and id like them to be stiffer since they are the smallest form factor soft boots with boa heel lock i know of.
G9mRIeA.jpg

cue some modifcations 

DsGsD5R.jpg

all good for about 8 months of solid use then i noticed theyd got a little softer

UGdGXAH.jpg

time to replace the plactic with aluminium

8zLoFFM.jpg

anyway that is actually frank vans mark2 these are my orignal ones

ol2VV9c.jpg

2: Breaking Laces

Now you might have noticed i have slightly funky looking laces here in reality there not really snowboard boot laces its actually climbing cord. I ride a lot so i usually wear through laces reasonably quickly but not so the climbing cord the only downside is you have to reef naught the boot when tying before you do your normal bow style tying since it doesnt compress like a traditional lace. The other is that it can be quite hard on your fingers if your delicate type.

HqaP4uw.jpg

Climbing cord as laces on my Vans infuse.

3: Shit Union carbon fiber and design

Union ultra highbacks are pretty badly finished and arent design to great with the metal hardware wearing on the carbon until it fails...
I had these on my union atlas bases so i already had the highbacks of the atlas which are suprsingly soft but that can be fixed 😄 so out comes the hacksaw and epoxy resin.

D6wX0p4.jpg
FApuXdU.jpg5597ljN.jpg
zDfpukA.jpg
YzCfmLX.jpg

Now i have a nice stiff highback that doesnt fail at the mounting eyelet :).

4: exploding union bindings disks

this is the simplest of the lot the union disks are made of toffee and break apart with little effort fortunatly the old style burton non reflex disks are much stronger and a perfect fit.

5/6: because im bored and future project.

Ski boot clips as ratchet replacement.... never ridden just curious how secure itd be
3hxaZgy.jpg

My future project is to strip all the padding off of the base and then bond carbon firbe to the atlas base to reduce the flex to as little as possible then ill stick the padding back down so to the outside itll just look like the standard base. But there will be more on this next week when the carbon sheet arrives.

Edited by scottishsurfer
  • Like 1

Thanks ive never been to afraid to tinker and modify stuff 

I forgot about my helmet audio its a bit tatty looking now since its more than 2 years old but still works great :). Got a pair of Sony headphones dismantled them then inserted them into my helmet liner.
Sp6Dvoq.jpg

I also have the idea of buying a couple of large butchers/deli workers chain mail gloves and wearing them over the top of my gloves so i dont burn through them while carving. Might be a little cold but i wont know i dont try.

10 minutes ago, scottishsurfer said:

I also have the idea of buying a couple of large butchers/deli workers chain mail gloves and wearing them over the top of my gloves so i dont burn through them while carving. Might be a little cold but i wont know i dont try.

You'll more than probably collect some nice snow between every bit of the chain net...

Heavy, icy and cold hands after a few hand drags if I think about it.....

Nothing too earth-shaking here, but here's my Catek with a home-made toe bail (made by friend in a sheet metal shop), MacGyver spring to hold the toe bail up and TD3 heel receiver.  No duct tape, but I did manage to use a tie wrap.

P1040640a.jpg.4f14e18cdc735aa6e84a89ba2265a732.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I probably should start another thread but i said id post my further adventures with carbon fibre so here goes

So i quite like how secure the atlas feels when strapped in but it does have one flaw the base is a bit soft to the extent i can over power it and allow snow and ice to build up under the base as can be seen here.
bBdWgl4.jpg

So lets get started and strip the padding off and see what were working with.

d5vpcNB.jpg

As can be seen here there is literally nothing but foam under the heel.... time to break out the carbon fibre and make a foam and carbon sandwich.

OP9h2TP.jpgwqduFui.jpg8GpLzJ6.jpgpJ1nrrQ.jpggFuLPFe.jpgfPQLIfS.jpgvjUVFep.jpg6bktDeS.jpgunnnp5g.jpgulYAQuT.jpg

In addition to the carbon sandwich i also added 2.3mm carbon shims to the rear to lower the outside of the rear foam padding so it is pressed against the board. I also added so carbon stiffeners to the removable footbed. There is still a bit more work to be done before i can stick all the padding back together and test it but its getting there. My hope is when its all finished and cleaned up to have it so that unless you closely inspect them it wont be that obvious that it has been modified to the extent it has. More to come next week most likely 🙂 

@Corey The shoe goo idea is brilliant! I feel like i'm playing with some very slippery fire whenever i'm walking on my fintec's. I almost ate it a few times in the lodge at loveland. can you post a picture of how your heels with shoe goo?

I once tried using those skiboot rubber caps that you can buy, but they don't fit fintec heels. 

On 1/14/2019 at 10:16 AM, Chouinard said:

How about a thread describing how your solved specific issues you encountered when setting up your gear OR a maintenance issues that you addressed to extend the useful life of your equipment rather than simply buying a new one.

Issue:  Wore a hole in my Palau liner with my ankle bone.

Fix:  Found "Tenacious Tape" online and the patch is going strong. Designed for Fabric, Nylon, Canvas, Mesh, Rubber & Vinyl. Don't get much in a roll [3" x 20"] but surprisingly it does not peal off the inside of the liner.

I also used Gear Aid Tenacious Tape on a very slight abrasion on the inside of the Arc'teryx Alpha SV CZ Bibs! 

Had a tiny little bit of abraided fabric from rubbing on my body armour. Found some of that tape, cut it into an oval, stuck it on, been good ever since. That stuff is damn good! 

• 1 month later...

I have been riding TD3 Sidewinders for quite some time and wanted to try something different and more flexible. So picked up from YYZCanuck some F2 Titan Flex.  I was just not able to get the stance set up close to what I am use to.  So McGuiver Time!

Ranching Hoof wedge F2 Titan Flex mod.  Was able to mimic my TD-3 stance I have been riding for quite some time, 3 degrees centered with board so a little lift and a little tipping in.  Got rid of a bunch of stack height using F2 wedged and lifts.  

Picked up the hoof wedges at the local ranch supply store.  

Montucky style.

D1F73E85-196C-4BCE-A1F5-0F3986D5A40D.jpeg

CFE606BC-708C-46B0-A904-03EF0A735417.jpeg

CC2B64AF-C02D-409F-8898-30DD05DB18A0.jpeg

2A57A513-60A1-4019-BF00-D2CE4982484A.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dredman said:

I have been riding TD3 Sidewinders for quite some time and wanted to try something different and more flexible. So picked up from YYZCanuck some F2 Titan Flex.  I was just not able to get the stance set up close to what I am use to.  So McGuiver Time!

Ranching Hoof wedge F2 Titan Flex mod.  Was able to mimic my TD-3 stance I have been riding for quite some time, 3 degrees centered with board so a little lift and a little tipping in.  Got rid of a bunch of stack height using F2 wedged and lifts.  

Montucky style.

Hope your horse doesn't come up lame after taking his wedges. As long as you didn't use your colt 44 to blast the holes in it i guess it's  best example of MacGyverism  i've ever seen. Does Shred know of this ? Probably not a lot of horses in Cleveland !

7 hours ago, dredman said:

Montucky style.

Looked for wedges to increase the F2 Cants for years from all kinds of stores.  Little did I know that I had to pay attention to you just horsing around.  (Bad joke I know).

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Introducing Franken boot mk3 Salomon Lo-fi with booster straps since I was lazy and couldnt be bothered making my own this time. But the real special sauce is instead of using old boot tongues and just epoxying stuff to them to make stiffeners i made them completely from scratch out of fibreglass 🙂 Not the prettiest since ive never worked with fibreglass before this but they are defintely stiff enough!

PSuT75O.jpg
Vm5ejwc.jpg
hXXaiX4.jpg

Edited by scottishsurfer