Note to New Members ×

DGSS or Stock Springs for UPZ

Deckard

I’ve been working to ‘dial-in’ to my new RC11’s after always being in Deluxe with BTS.  Pretty darn different...  Got a lot figured out and REALLY like the fit.  Now for some fine tuning.  

Curious as to how many UPZ users have switched to the DGSS system and how it compares.  Has anyone tried DGSS and then gone back to stock?

Much Thanks for any input...

I switched to the DGSS setup earlier this year and like it quite a bit. Much more travel than stock, like walk mode with a travel limiter. Great, if that’s what you’re after. 

One thing to watch out for is if you have the cuffs of your boots adjusted for cant. The metal guide in the system is mounted to the lower shell, and it’s angles don’t change when you cant the cuffs, so the threaded rod mounted to the cuff begins to pass through the guide at an angle as you adjust the cant. I have my cuffs canted one adjustment step (one-step difference between lateral and medial) and it’s still ok, but it might start to bind up at higher canting angles. 

I've had 1 season with the DGSS and really like them. It allows for more motion in the ankles, which I like for getting lower and having the flexibility to disperse/absorb the shock of rough terrain evenly between ankle/knees/hips. The spring system seems to control the motion more (range, dampening and stiffness) than the original set-up which seemed to be more dependant on the stiffness of the plastic shell and tongue. They seem to negate the effect of warm and cold weather on how stiff the boots feel. 

I'm riding modified RC10's with the single screw (flip-up) tongue and strap and updated buckle design, similar to the improvements incorporated in the RC11's.

I cant my cuffs also and can see evidence of some rubbing contact of the spring with the plastic boot, but no problem with function.

Edited by bigwavedave

The standard UPZ spring system on my 2016 RC10s is hard to adjust the nut at the bottom. I modified a small spanner to fit into the slot. That said I've been very happy with the range of movement I get in my rear boot with the standard spring system ( I ride with the front boot set with very limited flex). The limiting factor in terms of forward flex of the rear boot seems to be the impingement of the lower edge of the cuff, and the lower cuff buckle, on the 3rd shell buckle. Changing the spring system won't solve that issue. I modified my rear boot cuff to fix that.

1 hour ago, SunSurfer said:

The limiting factor in terms of forward flex of the rear boot seems to be the impingement of the lower edge of the cuff, and the lower cuff buckle, on the 3rd shell buckle. Changing the spring system won't solve that issue. I modified my rear boot cuff to fix that.

The DGSS seems to fix that, maybe because the boot no longer has to deform with ankle flexion. After upgrading to the strap and wire buckles I've had no issue with the buckles jamming. All I can say is I have more range of motion with a smooth graduated dampening as the flexion increases, but I only have first hand experience for one season with the DGSS and 2 seasons prior to that with the original system. 

• Thanks 1

I have a custom step up from Patrice Villeneuve (from Canada). IMHO they are machined a lot better than the BTS I had for years. They don’t squeak like the BTS did and provide more rebound. It has stiffened up my forward flex. It was definitely an improvement for my UPZ’s. Patrice can supply different stiffness for springs based on your weight and riding style. 

PM Patrice on FB messages he is a member of the private AST group.

73F36A62-87F7-45C4-AFB2-55C8BFAB3FFB.jpeg

9F5AF46C-9A34-4813-A182-264A0A5D97F9.jpeg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GeoffV said:

I have a custom step up from Patrice Villeneuve (from Canada). IMHO they are machined a lot better than the BTS I had for years. They don’t squeak like the BTS did and provide more rebound. It has stiffened up my forward flex. It was definitely an improvement for my UPZ’s. Patrice can supply different stiffness for springs based on your weight and riding style. 

PM Patrice on FB messages he is a member of the private AST group.

73F36A62-87F7-45C4-AFB2-55C8BFAB3FFB.jpeg

9F5AF46C-9A34-4813-A182-264A0A5D97F9.jpeg

These look great and address the glaring issues in the old BTS. I don't have FB, does he have another way I can contact him? Email? I'd like to get a set also.

1 minute ago, Jack Michaud said:

@GeoffV, you're running the silver tongues, right?  This looks like a more fine tune-able setup.  Luckily for me the gray tongues and stock spring system is a good fit.

Correct, medium flex sliver tongues. If I didn't upgrade the springs I think I would have gone to the stiffer dark grey tongues that you are using. 

@billyt.Yes I had boot heaters but never used them once this season, didn't need them. I had them in my T700s because I forced myself into a race fit to try to eliminate heel lift, but that left me with super cold feet. That problem is gone now with the UPZs, better fit and no more cold feet. 

• Like 2

I switched to DGSS because I like a softer (fore-aft) boot. It turned out that with the soft, red tongues the stock spring system was the limiting factor. I strongly suspect that a spring system is not really necessary for riding, but I prefer to ride with one for safety reasons. Does the spring system from Quebec Man also slot into the stock holes of the shell like the DGSS? They look very similar.

Edited by Aracan

You can modify the flex of the UPZs by changing the stock springs out to stiffer or softer springs. You just have to buy them from a spring supply company.

I have not ridden the DGSS, but I like the stock set up on the UPZs. As a lightweight, I use the red tongues.

Edited by Buell

The DGSS provides more and better flex in my rc10s. Watch out for additional stress on the cant discs. Mine blew out after a few rides with the new spring system. I had never found that the discs needed tightening. Then suddenly I lost a disc and all the others were loose. Also be careful about how the new bolt hangs down behind the heel. I wrecked a leather car seat with it. I also caught it on a concrete stair while leaving a gondola. It caused me to fall and bent the hell out of the bolt. I had to disassemble it and straighten the bolt in a vice. Still it makes for a better ride. Worth it.