Note to New Members ×

MK and Angry Comparison?

barryj

30 minutes ago, workshop7 said:

^ Would you keep the same SCR?

Tough call. I would have said yes until I rode the Coiler Revelation with a smaller spread. Depends if you like hauling butt or finishing all your turns. 

The closer spread is more freecarvey, if that's a word. 

My opinion:    MK - I own one - amazing on hard-and-chalky-but-not-ice.  Anggry - had a multi-day demo - better everywhere else.  

Some of the worst runs I've taken in the past few years, were on my MK on what I call "Marley snow".... (Sorry, my wife and daughter are dancers.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performance_surface).    If you can't go all-in, it's gonna punish you.   But if you can go all-in, you're going to be a very happy rider.   

The problem with the MK on true ice is that you have to be far more skilled than I am to keep the right pressure at all times. 

The problem with the MK on anything softer-than-chalk is that you WILL fold the nose and be sore the next.   The great think about the MK on chalk is that it is just insaley fun, responsive and energetic.  

The problem with the Angrry on chalk is that it's not not as rewarding as the MK.    The great think aboutv the Angrry on ice is that if you ride well but imperfectly, you have a chance.   The great thing about the Angrry on softer snow is that you'll live to ride another day.  

So, what kind of snow do YOU ride? 

32 minutes ago, Mike T said:

So, what kind of snow do YOU ride? 

On the MK.... all. Boiler plate, sizzle groom, hero, chalk, dust on crust, 3 day old bumped/refroze and even taters (albeit riding a little less nose heavy). I don't think I am exceptionally skilled... I think you just have to make the most of what you have. Maybe that is a product of riding where I ride... I push it on all snow types. I fall a lot. :biggthump

The MK has been my go to the past two seasons. As said before, the MK requires work but I can also ride it all day if I vary my riding. 

I rode an Anggry once as a demo at an ATC/SES. I don't recall not liking it... of course the snow was likely what I would consider "hero"

• 8 months later...

Another day spent riding the Angry and MK back-to-back. These really are two great boards! No clear winner. I spent 4 hours lapping the only groomed run at a 200' local hill. Both kept me entertained way past when I expected. 

MK pluses: Insane turn initiation - Tip it and rip it. High energy ride, gives you so much back. Fun even when just getting rolling with that tight nose sidecut. 

MK minuses: Hurts my knees. Not sure if it's the high-frequency vibrations or the aggressive turning, but they ache after a few hours. It doesn't tolerate sloppy technique, breaking into a slide or kicking you into the next turn. 

Angry pluses: An old friend that's got your back. Still high energy compared to typical boards, but not as awe/fear-inducing* as the MK. If I had never ridden the MK, I would have thought this was the most aggressively-turning board you could buy. 

* Not quite the right phrasing. You know when you're terribly excited to do something, but also a tiny bit scared you'll die? Like skydiving or petting a lion. 

Angry minuses: Subdued when compared to the MK. 

When I'm feeling aggro and just want to f*** up some groom, the MK comes out. When I'm feeling a little more mellow, the Angry comes out. These boards rule narrow/mellow runs! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Corey said:

MK minuses: Hurts my knees. Not sure if it's the high-frequency vibrations or the aggressive turning, but they ache after a few hours. It doesn't tolerate sloppy technique, breaking into a slide or kicking you into the next turn.

Maybe the more forward angles you need to run on it are doing something?

1 hour ago, Corey said:

Am I mistaken, or is the Donek glass and the Coiler metal? 

4 hours ago, daveo said:

Maybe the more forward angles you need to run on it are doing something?

No, got the MK 20cm wide to match my preference. Technically it's a Proteus built with MK technology. The MK is one model, no changes allowed. 

2 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

Am I mistaken, or is the Donek glass and the Coiler metal? 

You are correct. That energy absorption is a known selling feature of metal, but I figured many people would be cross-shopping these two boards so a direct comparison would be helpful. I suspect the MK has some rubber like the metal boards and the newer Donek non-metal Secret construction, but Sean's not telling. 😉

20 minutes ago, pokkis said:

Have you tried it with Geckos soft bushings?

No plates/spacers/risers, just TD3 Sidewinders with soft elastomers. I bet anything with some squish would help. I can also imagine some TD1s or Cateks and ski boots would make my teeth hurt too. 😧

7 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

No need to answer this question. How old are those knees?

There's a reason isolation plates are popular with older riders. 

Yeah, mid-40's, and a lot of poor decisions in my youth aren't helping matters either. 

A plate on an MK feels like bolting a houseboat slide on a speedboat. 😉

• Like 2

On 12/24/2018 at 2:11 PM, Corey said:

That energy absorption is a known selling feature of metal, but I figured many people would be cross-shopping these two boards so a direct comparison would be helpful.

Understood, but wanted to confirm construction in the interest of working out the mechanism of 'discomfort'.

On 12/24/2018 at 2:11 PM, Corey said:

I can also imagine some TD1s or Cateks and ski boots would make my teeth hurt too. 

Maybe; maybe not.  Or at least I've not had that problem.

On 12/24/2018 at 3:48 PM, SunSurfer said:

How old are those knees?

There's a reason isolation plates are popular with older riders. 

Age might highlight the onset of discomfort, but the root cause probably has a lot more to do with how particular vibrations  affect muscle activity, and how that muscle activity, in combination with preferred technique, puts additional (and sustained) stress on the joints.

Metal boards tend to reduce higher frequencies, and phase shift the lower frequencies, to the extent the rider is either unaware, or unaffected.

Glass boards, on the other hand, do not, which makes them an effective tool for understanding the less harmonious elements of board/snow interaction.

As mentioned previously, Isolation plates tend to filter the tendency to for a rider to twist the board in the cut. In turn, the board 'runs true', which means it provides a more stable platform, which in turn requires the rider to make fewer stabilizing muscle contractions per unit time than a 'twitching' platform, which in turn puts less stress on the joints.

Metal board construction doesn't reduce the effect of errant rider input, just the byproduct of that input.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Mike T--Mike Tokar if that is you.  The only reason it may have folded on you is because it was purposely designed as payback for not sharing or mailing a batch of the "bucket of love".  Sorry I misread your comment as I was sitting on the throne.  The MK 161 was designed primarily for firm to boiler plate surfaces where it reigns.  You can take it in any condition but you should have the skills to make it work, even still it wont shine.  Having the proper tool for the job is where it's at.  You wouldnt use a flat head to tighten a phillips screw.  It may work, but not the right tool for the job.  

As we develop the MK 170, this board will be more versatile than its shorter sibling.  It will be a crud buster, luxury carver, very user friendly, and slush king.  Very magical and unlike anything you have may have ridden.  Those that have experienced the original Madd 170 will know how magical it was.  Any version or remake of the Madds after that were no comparison to the originals, not even close.  Please be patient for the MK 170.  The 1st 170 proto was just a dabble and a lot of work, redesign and testing will be in progress.

In regards to attaching plates.  Forgggetttabout it.

Develop a relationship with the MK161.  It will blow your mind, if the skills are there to push it.  Attack, commit and be aggressive.  Ride it and don't let it ride you.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CMC said:

Guys...working on some video footage with the MK which will answer most of your questions.  The nose is far from folding, I wouldn't allow that as the majority of my riding is forward weighted and aggressive.  Stay tuned.

Thank you Curt!  Look forward to those video.  
The 170 sounded amazing!  2020 this season or next winter or further out?

On 1/29/2019 at 7:26 AM, CMC said:

Guys...working on some video footage with the MK which will answer most of your questions.  The nose is far from folding, I wouldn't allow that as the majority of my riding is forward weighted and aggressive.  Stay tuned.

Well, how about a video series on the DEVELOPMENT of the MK170?

Seriously, Curt, as eager as I would be to test the new board against my Proteus180, I'd be just as eager to watch you ride the prototypes... There are, so far as I know, only a couple of youtube videos of you on snow, and a whole bunch of videos of some Russian dudes doing watered down CMC-impressions - they get the wide gunslinger-arms and the big hip-angulation but not the fluidity - so it's not like there's a glut of footage.

We've been on the snow together just a couple of times - I followed you down Lower Standard and Suntanner a few times around 2003, and down Sunriser Supertrail a couple of time somewhat more recently, and apart from the sheer enjoyment of it, I took away enough things to work on to keep me busy for years.

• Like 1

Jonny, Id love to but damn, just trying to get a guy with a decent camera and some skills to film has been a chore.  My old neighbor does video work for his job and said he would do some filming.  Now it's just a matter of coordinating our schedules to get on the hill with a good filing day.  If you know of any qualified filmers, send them my way.

19 hours ago, CMC said:

Jonny, Id love to but damn, just trying to get a guy with a decent camera and some skills to film has been a chore.  My old neighbor does video work for his job and said he would do some filming.  Now it's just a matter of coordinating our schedules to get on the hill with a good filing day.  If you know of any qualified filmers, send them my way.

Call Gleb he is unreal, we obviously made his pics look awesome !!

I have his cell if you need it. 

He takes great video's and pulls stills from the video's that are unreal. 

• Like 1