Note to New Members ×

MK and Angry Comparison?

barryj

I prefer MK, have Angry, but the best short board I had was old silver Virus Rocket team series when I am looking back. It work for me better even than Hurricane Zylon. Barry you will have righ very steep angles on any of these board with your boot size. I love short fast boards but they are not for everybody.

Come on big c! I can ride the MK all day.... ! And it'll do what I want it to do... I find it pretty versatile. It is great for riding around meat gates but will also stretch its turns out when needed.... rode it in bumps the other day.... maybe Sean or Curt will chime in....

Angry is also a fun board, however have not owned one.

Edited by Mellow Yellow
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mellow Yellow said:

Come on big c! I can ride the MK all day.... ! And it'll do what I want it to do... I find it pretty versatile. It is great for riding around meat gates but will also stretch its turns out when needed.... rode it in bumps the other day.... maybe Sean or Curt will chime in....

Gotta go w/ Mellow on this one - I'm a 135lb wuss, and I ride the MK all day (and I *ride* that sucker - I'm literally making turns from top to bottom of any and every trail I take - the tighter the turn, the better!) I think it depends a bit on what you're used to and what you like, and I suppose to a degree, your physical condition. (I'm no superman, but I am fairly fit and have good leg endurance, due to my cycling obsession... I suppose only having 135 lbs to have to heft around helps, too.)

I also find the MK's ability to stretch turns (only when needed, LoL - I like the kind of turns that really test your dentist's ability to put fillings in solidly... :-) to be surprisingly good, too.

I worry a little that the MK gets a 'bad' rap as not being very versatile, but I find it to be an all-day, every-day (one likely exception being deep stuff - haven't faced that on the MK yet), barrel of monkeys kinda fun ride!

Hmm.....interesting! 

Sean has emailed me saying the same -  The MK works great for him at 170 to 180lbs.  He says my 225lbs, you will have absolutely no difficulty bending it..........

I wanna believe it, but don't want a board that "I will have no difficulty bending" for only a couple of hours before my legs explode!

I also think I would also have to go custom to a...... 20.5 waist  ??  

Great info guys!   Keep it coming!!

I exchanged many emails with Sean before settling on the MK (He is a very patient man. I was *ever so close* to just having him rebuild my old SL board in the MK construction... SO glad I listened to him - and @GeoffV.), and one of my big concerns was my ability to bend the MK - I wanted a tight-turning board, and it won't turn tight if you can't bend it. Sean himself noted that I was, "on the low end of the weight range" that the MK was designed for. (He subsequently ran some numbers, and determined that my SL was probably originally stiffer than the MK...)

Anyway, my take on the energy needed to ride the MK is that its not nearly so much a matter of being *able* to bend it (and at 225, Sean is right, bending it won't be a problem), its more a matter of having the energy to handle what happens *when* you bend it, and being able to repeat that energy expenditure with expediency and frequency. As @big canuck notes, its pretty much ON all the time, and when you give it the slightest prod, its Go Time. :-)

So, from my perspective (and it also syncs with another of @big canuck's observations), if you're into tight and quick, its your E-ticket ride. If you're looking for more mellow, it sounds like something in metal construction might be your deal. (I can't imagine why, but to each his own... ;-)  Similarly, if you want to be constantly riding wide, sweeping turns (the MK will do it, but its not what it does best), and/or dragging body parts on the snow the whole time, the MK might not be your best choice of tool. If, however, you view your ski day as too short to be waiting for your next carve to come around, and if you like tearing up every trail as many times as you possibly can, and you're 'man enough' to handle it, LoL (I say this as a scrawny dude... :o), the MK might just be what you've been looking for your whole life. :-)

Edited by jim_s

Jim thanks for your input! 

This might be like comparing apples and .... watermelons!....but I do like being "pretty much on" with all my riding and especially when on my custom Coiler EC SS  ("Super Soft" a stiffness/flex for a 180lb rider)  177 at Mach I...I think I'm pretty aggressive  on it and I'm panting  from the effort/input trying to lay it down every turn by the time I'm back at the lift..............but the big Coiler needs a lot of real estate to let it run, aka: trail width....and my brain gives out way before my legs when all the meat poles, skittles and park rat gangs start littering the trail!

That's why and when I wish I had a shorter turny board that only needs half as much trail to get my carve on....and dodge the bullets!                                                                                                       Maybe that's not a MK or Angry....you turny board Sages tell me!   My only prerequisite is nothing smaller than a 20.5 waist 

@barryj have you riden many Donek carve specific boards?  I have an older FC2 179, a Proteus 180, a custom 172 and a MK.  For me, they all require the same amount of input to reach their intended performance limits. I believe the MK leg burn is solely due to the size of the turn it makes.  It does wear me out faster than my longer radius boards but when I want to I can ride the MK with less input, a more relaxed style.  I just never want to.  I have a habit of attacking as soon as the pitch of the trail gets more steep.  

I have never been on small radius SG, Kessler, Angrry, or other modern build.  However, when I ride my rock board, a Factory Prime 157, I get the same tired legs.  It stands to reason that if I make significantly more turns on one board than I do on another (given the same trail) I will do more work.

I weight 190.  Last winter I was 210.  I get the same experience on the MK this year as I did in 2017.  My MK is the board I ride the most.  My local hill has narrow, icy and busy trails.  They are steep at the top and flat at the bottom.  The MK is the perfect tool for these conditions.  When I do go to a larger mountain I don’t take the MK with me.  Too many turns.  If I did, I’m sure my legs would eventually adapt and I’d ride the MK on that big mountain all day.  

Buy the MK.  You won’t regret it.

I had the MK and Angry out yesterday 

Conditions-

Me - Lack of sleep, devil water in my veins (low tier tequila from the night before), and I had to mix 3 different cereals to get a full bowl - like some kind of animal. 

Snow- Soft packed natural

The Angry. Likes centered riding. Very stable. Tortionally stiff on the 20 waist. Rounded tail edges release the carve very easily. Turny with Great edge grip.

If it could talk. "Hello friend, we're going to have fun today. I got this"

The MK. When forward loaded it bites HARD. The tail loves to finish rounded turns. 18 waist is lightning quick on transitions. Very flick able board. Insane edge grip

If it could talk. "YEEE$!#@\×HAAAWWWANNADOMETHTODAYTOUCHMEAGAINILLKILLYOUJUSTKIDDINGNOTREALLYLETSRIIIIIIIIIDE!!!!!!!!

Edited by Erik J
posted w no coffee in system, damnit, spilled coffee in my boot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

34 minutes ago, Erik J said:

The Angry. Likes centered riding. Very stable. Tortionally stiff on the 20 waist. Rounded tail edges release the carve very easily. Turn with Great edge grip.

If it could talk. "Hello friend, we're going to have fun today. I got this"

LOL!  So on the money! 

Now I'm really amped to get out on my new MK.  

Wow!     Quite the difference in personalities there Erik!!     The MK sounds like it suffers suffers from Hyperactivity Disorder....... and Speed is it's Only medication !!!

The MK sounds much more demanding to be in a relationship with.      The MK's  gotta be constantly active........going straight is Not What It Want's! 

The Angry sounds like -   You want get twitchy,  I'm your ride, let's go!.......you wanna just cruise and pop some tight turns here and there, Let's go, I got your back!    

How'd I do Erik??

12 hours ago, barryj said:

I think I'm pretty aggressive  on it and I'm panting  from the effort/input trying to lay it down every turn by the time I'm back at the lift..............

I believe I've seen some pics of @Mellow Yellow laying his MK down (somewhere in my obsessive mining of the interwebz for info on the MK when I was fretting over whether to get it or not), and maybe it just points to my (numerous) deficiencies as a rider, but I don't personally see the MK as a 'laying it down' type of board - its just too quick (ie, how quickly the turn takes from start to finish) and too tight to do that with any regularity - it really seems to be cut more from the SL-style, gate-running cloth, in terms of high edge angle and highly-angulated body position needed to achieve that edge angle (and required to counteract the violence you've now unleashed on yourself as a resulting of taunting the dragon.... ;-).

In addition to technique deficiencies (and though while I think it looks cool, I'm not personally a fan of the fully-laid-out-hands-dragging-in-the-snow type of carve), I just would not have the body speed to be flopping fully from side to side on the MK - in the approx 3 seconds that it takes between initiation of the carve, the board carving around and coming back under you, and now in full-on heat-seeking mode for the next edge engagement. (This is the one area where the MK says, "I got this!" - at that point, you *will* be making another carve, its just up to you to try to manage that process!)

Edited by jim_s

I understand (and I'm not saying that can't be done - I need to find that pic that I think was of @Mellow Yellow), just didn't want to be giving you the impression that that'd be a regular thing on the MK (again, maybe it can be for others, but its not something I'm capable of...).

It sounds like you're plenty fleet-of-foot (and knee, and hip - though hopefully you don't have the 'jazz arms' that I have :-) for the MK.  It really just comes down to how happy you are being that fleet-of-joint pretty much through every turn. It seems that some of us live for that, and some of us prefer a more moderate pace (and a more drawn-out carve).

It'd be awesome if you could find somebody out there w/ an MK and/or an Angrry to try, but I guess if there were someone, they would've come out of the woodwork by now.

I'd love to try an Angrry, myself - sounds like a really fun ride!!

1 hour ago, barryj said:

Wow!     Quite the difference in personalities there Erik!!     The MK sounds like it suffers suffers from Hyperactivity Disorder....... and Speed is it's Only medication !!!

The MK sounds much more demanding to be in a relationship with.      The MK's  gotta be constantly active........going straight is Not What It Want's! 

The Angry sounds like -   You want get twitchy,  I'm your ride, let's go!.......you wanna just cruise and pop some tight turns here and there, Let's go, I got your back!    

How'd I do Erik??

I don't find the MK to be demanding if you don't want it to be. IMO it gives back what you put into it. And when I choose energetic input, that's when the serious fun starts - aka the methhead comes out.

So then why would one buy this board to just cruise around all mellow like. IMO that's not where the fun is and that's not the strength of the MK. 

With regards to laying out a turn on an MK. Yes it will do it. Be ready to deal with all of that energy coming back at you. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Erik J said:

With regards to laying out a turn on an MK. Yes it will do it. Be ready to deal with all of that energy coming back at you. 

I think that's a big part of what makes them so exciting to ride.  I have a healthy amount of respect for my Angry as it's tossed me a few times when I wasn't ready for the energy at the end of the turn.  It's not quite fear, but when you're playing with fire sometimes you get burned a bit.  

Just recently I was out on the Angry when I popped off the tail pretty hard out of a toeside - it launched me further forward into the next turn than I was planning.  Then the nose grabbed and put me in a high-G heelside.  Not a nose fold, but pretty darn close!  The next thing I knew, the board had changed edges again under me and I was sliding on my face.  From a slightly-out-of-control heelside to chest without the board touching the snow until after my chest did.  Whoa!  Such a wild ride!  

• Like 2