Note to New Members ×

Isolation plate for softboot carving

daveo

Been researching some stuff softboot carving stuff recently. Just occurred to me. I love my Apex plate. I refuse to ride without it. In fact I sprained my ankle 4 seasons ago when I removed my boiler plate- didn't realise how chopped up the run was and bang. 

Are full iso plates (like apex or allflex or whatever) a thing for softboot carving boards? I know they're not. Any reason anyone can think of why they'd be a bad thing? Or a good thing? Or.. Anything? 

A number of years ago, Fin posted a photo of, I think it was Palmer, setting up a Boilerplate for BX testing. One could assume that it didn't work out as planned, or the benefits didn't outweigh the added weight and complexity.

That, or the evil FIS stepped in to put a stop to the fun.

Using too much riser with a softer boot doesn't always work well, as the added leverage can work in both directions.

Many years ago, I mounted my telemark bindings on a combination of 3/8 uhmwpe atop a Derbyflex plate. Didn't work very well with the Merrill Supercomp boots, but one of my cohort thought it was just nifty with his 'state of the art' plastic Asolos.

Consider as well, that much of what the isocline resolves in the hardboot context, is directly related to the hard plastic shells levering the board this way and that as the rider moves about.

Much of that 'noise' is absorbed/lost in the softer softboot, obviating the need for 'isolation'.

Edited by Beckmann AG

It's  called an isolation plate for a reason . Put it on your soft boot setup and it might become a solitary confinement plate. I see no reason not to try it since you are seeking to improve the terrain you ride on .  Can the people you ride with accept the deviant behaviour  you are contemplating ?

I've ridden my Bomber 4mm lite plate with soft boots and it does work, it's just not worth the weight for the board I was riding.  I'd like to offer an alternative:

Some soft boot bindings are more compliant in the heel cups, being comprised of pliable plastics and kevlar cord, allowing the high backs and base to flex nose to tail while still providing a very stiff platform from edge to edge.  If you are riding stiff bindings, maybe getting something a little more soft in the heel cups, adding a velcro strap to the high back to get a pseudo 3rd strap for more immediate toe-side response could satisfy the desire for some chop-slop but keep responsiveness edge to edge.

For reference I was using an original SteepWater 171, Ride CAD bindings that were metal bases with super stiff carbon high backs.  I weigh 155 lbs and could barely flex the 171, adding the plate did seem to "soften" the board and allow it to flex a little better.  It was a fun experiment and I would ride it again if I still had all the equipment.

10 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

A number of years ago, Fin posted a photo of, I think it was Palmer, setting up a Boilerplate for BX testing. One could assume that it didn't work out as planned, or the benefits didn't outweigh the added weight and complexity.

That, or the evil FIS stepped in to put a stop to the fun.

I recall talking to Fin about this, it was Palmer at the X Games. Palmer tested it for the BX event and schooled everyone. My understanding was that Nate Holland didn’t like getting worked over so badly that he made a formal complaint and got them banned from competition. 

Ink

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, teach said:

I actually have a Donek plate made for BX before they were banned. It's a little wider to support softboot binding bases.

Man the snowboard fashion police REALLY want to control how snowboarding looks and what lamestream snowboarding is...

[Insert relevant Shread Simpson gif here]

8 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

^Thanks for the clarification.  Got anything else on the situation, regarding pros/cons, etc?

Would have liked to see the footage of that event.

I don’t have anything else regarding Palmer on the BP except that it may have been a bit wider to support softies better. Like Teach said of his Donek BX.

Sounded like Palmer liked the setup and was willing to test but he has always been pretty open to testing new tech that may give him an advantage. 

Ink

Edited by inkaholic

If you're on the tall-n-heavy side like I am, You may also want to look into Gecko Stealth or the Kessler K. Plate Rocket Cross.  Both have a wider platform to distribute the weight more effectively.  Though I haven't had them in my hand, it appears the that the Kessler may be delrin or aluminum, not carbon fiber, and be a little more durable.  My girlish 6'1" 210lb frame managed to destroy the Gecko Cross plates after 2 days of hard riding in the northeast.  Though I have to admit, the ride on them was phenomenal compared to no plate, not to mention Apex customer service is top notch, as they were ready to next-day me replacements to Stratton where I was staying.  Definite thumbs up to Apex...

Edited by Kneel

FIS Rulebook:

2.1 Plate Systems that connect both bindings are not allowed in SBX (individual plate systems are allowed on each binding)

I sat in a ski lodge bar in Quebec during a WC competition and had a national team coach berate me about "ruining snowboarding". He felt carbon fibre plates were too high tech and not attainable for the developing racer. I responded by asking him if $2000 custom Titanal snowboards were attainable for the developing racer.

It wasn't long after that that FIS added rule 2.1.

Don't know if anyone noticed but Jonathan Cheever ran Geckos in Pyeongchang.

cheever gecko.jpg

Edited by skategoat
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, skategoat said:

FIS Rulebook:

2.1 Plate Systems that connect both bindings are not allowed in SBX (individual plate systems are allowed on each binding)

I sat in a ski lodge bar in Quebec during a WC competition and had a national team coach berate me about "ruining snowboarding". He felt carbon fibre plates were too high tech and not attainable for the developing racer. I responded by asking him if $2000 custom Titanal snowboards were attainable for the developing racer.

It wasn't long after that that FIS added rule 2.1.

Don't know if anyone noticed but Jonathan Cheever ran Geckos in Pyeongchang.

Cry baby alert- he probably also lobbied to get half the alpine discipline of snowboarding removed. 

I think I noticed not just Cheever running Geckos- were there others?