Note to New Members ×

I should be better than I am and I'm pissed.

1xsculler

Boy!....... I wish time on snow was all the was needed!  .....but my 100+ days a season on the hill sure disproves that for me......but in this niche sport I rarely see any hardbooters at my hills,  much less any to ride with and learn from.......so I'm also stuck with my bad skills that are holding me back! 

• Like 1

Welcome to hardboot snowboarding!

I have been doing this since January 1990.  You’re going to have good, bad and worse days for as long as you continue to persue improvement in this sport.  

It’s kind of like golf, but it doesn’t suck.

Edited by workshop7
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, barryj said:

Boy!....... I wish time on snow was all the was needed!  .....but my 100+ days a season on the hill sure disproves that for me......but in this niche sport I rarely see any hardbooters at my hills,  much less any to ride with and learn from.......so I'm also stuck with my bad skills that are holding me back! 

I've had two bouts with alpine snowboarding, with a substantial multi-year gap inbetween. The first started in 93? 94? I was riding a PJ6. I was going to boarding school and was the only snowboarder, and all I had to guide me was occasional stills from snowboarding mags (which at the time, you could find alpine coverage in mags). It sucked, thoroughly. I got in a lot of days  but all that taught me that time on the mountain does not necessarily make you better ... thankfully I had persistence, and my teenage huevos were bigger than my brain. We occasionally went night skiing at Temple Mtn. in NH (RIP) there was a little posse of hardbooters there that seemed to know what they were doing. One of them saw me flopping around like a fish on dry land and took pity on me—15 minutes with that guy taught me more than I had learned in a year or two of suffering on my own. 

Riding with people better than you is key—I learned that from the opportunities to do so that this forum provides.

I feel like I pretty much know what I'm doing these days but I still have rough days. I have *zero* confidence in soft groomed snow (it terrifies me), sometimes I still just suck and think to myself "I could totally do this yesterday!!! WTF!!!". It's all part of the fun. I appreciate the days I can rip, thanks to the days I can't.

Edited by queequeg
  • Like 4

I should be better than I am...

and I'm pissed.

Keep the first part of that sentiment and lose the second.  Don't be so hard on yourself; it's this dissatisfaction with our own performance that is the motivating force behind improving.   

Unless you're worse now than you were 2 years ago, then your frustration is totally justified :-)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, queequeg said:

I have *zero* confidence in soft groomed snow

QQ.......I'm a Hero in soft groom snow......it's the hard groom that kicks my butt!   Next time your coming to Tahoe let me know.

Maybe we could help each other!    I'm covered at Northstar and Squaw. 

Wow, I had no idea so many of you would identify with how I am feeling after having just ridden in perfect conditions today. My quads double crossed me so I went home with my tail between my legs.

Actually I made my last run on Quicksilver, a run I have had some success on, and I felt just a tiny bit better.

I'm working damn hard to try to bury my side-walls, get my board high angle on edge (knees inches off the snow) and bend the crap out of it to tighten my turns. Every once in a while I succeed s little, I think.

All I can say is that if you set small goals for yourself, for me it's heel side on steep narrow trails, and just keep at it, you will persevere.  When it's not coming together as I would like it, for whatever the reason might be on that day, I will go over to a trail that i can do it on, so I can get the feeling back, and move from there.

1 hour ago, barryj said:

QQ.......I'm a Hero in soft groom snow......it's the hard groom that kicks my butt!   Next time your coming to Tahoe let me know.

Maybe we could help each other!    I'm covered at Northstar and Squaw. 

I am planning a trip in a few weeks with some friends. Have you had a chance to ride with Max? I think he is at Kirkwood a lot - he is a tall guy who rides a skwal and rips. I forget his username. Riding with him pushes my limits in all the right ways. 

54 minutes ago, barryj said:

QQ  Your trip is to Kirkwood??   Kirkwood is a far piece for me from Truckee/N. Tahoe..........usually only there in the Late Spring  (or TTC, RIP :cool:) as they close really late...usually.

Not sure yet .... i usually just tag along on whatever my friends plan - I’ll let you know the deets via PM once I know. They like Heavenly (not my fave for carving) and kirkwood (which I love).

8 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

Wow, I had no idea so many of you would identify with how I am feeling after having just ridden in perfect conditions today. My quads double crossed me so I went home with my tail between my legs.

Actually I made my last run on Quicksilver, a run I have had some success on, and I felt just a tiny bit better.

I'm working damn hard to try to bury my side-walls, get my board high angle on edge (knees inches off the snow) and bend the crap out of it to tighten my turns. Every once in a while I succeed s little, I think.

This is not work my friend. The longer I do this, the more everything becomes about turn shape. If its the right shape for the terrain it is not work. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

Enough said.

There's some talent on this board, though very few are skilled mind readers.  If you want steps toward a solution, or something other than sympathy and guesswork, hire someone to shoot clear video of you doing your thing on a moderate slope. 

Otherwise, if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

You'll only achieve what your process will allow, and from the sound of things, you're doing it wrong.

When you learned to row, did you bash the water into submission, imitating the postures and positions of your favourite oarsman? 

Or did you gradually come to understand the water, the blades, the hull, and how you fit into the picture?

Edited by Beckmann AG
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sherlock up there is right.  You need to post a video of your riding and setup to get some proper advice.   If you can't find a filmer just offer some kid some candy to take a few quick clips.  Also attend a session.  Judging from your previous posts your conditioning is a weak point.  Get in the gym and train eccentric leg exercises.  Google is your friend.  This isn't a sport for the weak legged or willed.   Improper lift and cant could also be zapping your quads prematurely.  Post some pictures of your board and bindings please.  Not to sounds like a jerk but next time maybe put some substance and information in your initial post so people here can give you the feedback you need.  This post makes it seem like you needed company on the pity train.

• Like 1