Note to New Members ×

Maybe it is about the Board?

John E

I've often thought that the biggest differences between success as a rider were 1) snow conditions & slope, 2) ability of the rider and 3) everything else. Not sure of the order of the first two but they seemed to be much more important than everything else. I say this because I think I am stuck as an intermediate rider. I'm stuck between the slowly rising slope of getting a little better with experience and getting older every day. At some point the age thing will dominate the improving thing.

On Friday at ATC another rider loaned me his board. It was a Virus SL 167 Asymmetric (regular). At first I was skeptical. My only points of reference were a 19 year old Hot Blast and a 5 year old Coiler Stubby. After riding a bit, it felt like everything was coming together and I LOVED carving. I'm sure that some of my old bad habits were still present but after spending a day on that board, I had the BEST DAY OF CARVING I HAVE EVER HAD! The conditions were pretty close to hero but tending toward the soft end. The slope was moderate (Buttermilk). I kept asking the guys I was riding with if they were having a great day and they replied a bit mixed (too soft). I was hoping the guy that lent me the Virus would make me a deal I couldn't refuse but that didn't happen.

I told my wife about my experience and she said that since I had a birthday coming up that she could get me one (!).

So - was it the snow conditions & slope, was it the board or some combination? If I decide to get a new board, should I go for a similar Virus or something else? I understand that the Asyms are no longer available so if I do look for a Virus, I'll need to find something similar in a symmetrical board.

I know that fellow riders rave about their Virus boards but are they really that special?  

My first metal board -- along with some great coaching -- upped my game immensely, and my gains transferred to other gear too. Which was more important, the board or the coaching? Not sure I know the answer to that question, but I was plateaued at advanced intermediate for years and years before my breakthrough season, so don't give up hope. 

Every now and then I ride one of my ancient boards, and while they're fun, they have nothing on a modern shape metal board. Those are definitely gamechangers. But the snow makes a difference too. I rode with friends on the weekend on "superglue' - the kind of snow where no matter what you throw at it, you just can't go wrong. I think that when you have the confidence of hero snow, you're much more likely to try things that progress your riding.

Boards are a personal thing, I find. Some people like wider, some skinnier, some like lively and some like damp. You might have found that if you'd been out on another Coiler or a Donek you might have had just as much success. Personally, I've only ridden two Viruses and hated both of them ... but mileage will vary.

• Like 1

It IS about the board. Soft boot setups have a lot of flexibility, and most riders aren't really carving anyway. Hard boot stupa and alpine boards are much more demanding. Rider weight and board flex/dimensions are important. Also, your binding setup is critical. Shifting the center of mass too far forward or too far back will destroy your ability to get the board to perform. Also the binding angles and relationship between your two feet can make huge differences.

Find a board that fits your profile of weight, ability and aggressiveness, then make sure you have tools to adjust your stance on the fly when you first go to the hill. Riding with someone who can look at your setup and what you are doing on the board is also extremely helpful.

Have fun, and happy carving.???

Paul

As I understand it: those asym virus boards like to be ridden somewhat aft-of-center on heelside turns. Total guess here but: given the riding demands of soft/snow carving (milder inputs, way less pressure on the nose), the required riding style for that board may just have lined up well for the given conditions.

I love my Virus boards, and find them to be very "well behaved" but perhaps not "friendly". I find that (most) virus boards tend to favor a more aggressive, weight-forward approach to carving. They reward solid, aggressive inputs but are not particularly forgiving. 

Edited by queequeg

John,
It sounds like you had a great day on a great board. Like said above the conditions were probably great for your personal level and style of riding. I firmly believe that carving and good riding are mostly a product of the rider first, the conditions second and the board last. I do think that certain boards ride much better in certain conditions. I have a small quiver of boards but I will only ride one specific board in icy conditions while riding another board in semi-firm to firm conditions. More than likely you were on the right board at the right time. Does it warrant buying the board? If you really liked it then you should probably buy it. The only thing that I would be wary of is that the board is asymmetric.

Jt

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John E said:

So - was it the snow conditions & slope, was it the board or some combination?

This is how I figured it out last year.  I tried 10 different boards in one day and developed a better understanding of what board characteristics I liked/worked for me and what didn't.  I purchased the one which suited my preferences and haven't looked back... er, except every turn to see if a straighliner is bearing down on me.

Bomber Demo Day.jpg

• Like 2

I think "the board" is hugely important, but it depends who's asking.

You get kids who want to buy "this year's model" which they've never ridden. In their case it's not about the board.

However if you can actually ride, then the board is important. Like other people here, I could ride a dinner tray if I had to, but I ride the best board I can get. I experienced what sounds like a similar revelation a long time ago, but I never looked back.

I would try boards which have similar characteristics to that and the chances are you'll find a more modern design which works at least as well. I don't know what else you have ridden, but it could be the precise match of board characteristics to your weight/ style which is actually the key thing. Virus is very popular over here of course, and there'll be a reason for it.

9 hours ago, John E said:

On Friday at ATC another rider loaned me his board. It was a Virus SL 167 Asymmetric (regular). At first I was skeptical. My only points of reference were a 19 year old Hot Blast and a 5 year old Coiler Stubby. After riding a bit, it felt like everything was coming together and I LOVED carving. I'm sure that some of my old bad habits were still present but after spending a day on that board, I had the BEST DAY OF CARVING I HAVE EVER HAD! The conditions were pretty close to hero but tending toward the soft end. The slope was moderate (Buttermilk). I kept asking the guys I was riding with if they were having a great day and they replied a bit mixed (too soft). I was hoping the guy that lent me the Virus would make me a deal I couldn't refuse but that didn't happen.

I told my wife about my experience and she said that since I had a birthday coming up that she could get me one (!).

So - was it the snow conditions & slope, was it the board or some combination? If I decide to get a new board, should I go for a similar Virus or something else? I understand that the Asyms are no longer available so if I do look for a Virus, I'll need to find something similar in a symmetrical board.

It's usually about a lot of things, but in this case, as presented, it's definitely about the board.

The 'right' board will leave an impression that resonates long after the experience has ended.

> I had a similar experience back in '04, when I was starting to wonder why I was still hardbooting. First run on a Madd 158 reboot, and most of the joy of the previous 14 years came back in about a dozen turns. First as a trickle, then as a torrent.

Needless to say, that exact board is still in my possession. 

We are so easily influenced in our purchasing decisions by graphics, ad copy, spec sheets, wishful thinking, peer pressure, and salesmanship. It's not often that one stumbles on something that genuinely works for our individual needs as it should, where the experiential feedback loop screams "BUYTHISPRODUCT!!!" 

So, were I you, I would do whatever it takes to get your hands on that same board. There is something about that particular build that works for your specific mode of riding. Whether or not that mode is optimal is beside the point, as are the 'hows' and 'whys'. 

It works, life is short; therefore you need it.

Besides, your memory of the day will gradually dim. If you manage to catch that particular strain of Virus, you'll have a palpable link to that time and place. 

That is, unless you go back out on your Stubby and find similar exhilaration.

In which case, ignore the previous.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

~I guess we nerdishly like it that way.

Speak for yourself. In chorus: "You're a nerd, you're a nerd. And nobody likes you." 

-Hot Tub Time Machine 2- 

Worth watching, just for the song. You have towatch the 1st movie 1st though. 

Best day of carving I every had...was in softboots (probably on a Tanker). Went back to hardboots for one day since. That was about...9-10 years ago.

Just sayin': You know the difference between how your old alpine board rides, as compaired to a brand new top shelf metal board with plate system and SIdewinder 3 step in whatevers (compaired to Td1's!!!) and BTS Booster Strap variable canted blah blah blah. Now imagine equivalent innovations happening between yesteryears softboot boards and today's softboot boards (sidecut tech, base profiles, Power Plates, Apex Gecko plates, etc). 

I find it soooo much more rewarding to lay out carves and trench the slope when I'm riding softboots. It's so much more work to accomplish it, so the satisfaction is greater. 

Come to the Darkside...we have cookies.

Edited by Smilin'Dave
  • Like 1

Many decades ago I bought a very expensive pair of skis. Top reviews, the best ever, etc... I also bought a $49 pair of skis just for early season rock, who gives a shit, skis. I LOVED the cheap skis. Actually only rode the expensive ones twice that season. The best ride is the one that works for you

Not the one that everyone says is the best

• Like 3

• 3 months later...