Note to New Members ×

Board width - what is going on???

WinterGold

Erik J, do you mean me?

I got an SG Soul 59XT at the beginning of the season and it opened new worlds for me! On softboots that is ... (see my picture on page 4)

I also got a Jones Storm Chaser 157. Amazing powder board! And some Korua boards. I sold all my other softboot boards, which were too narrow all those years ...

For hardbooting I am waiting for the SG FullRace 163XT as I love dedicated SL boards. Can´t wait to try the new setup (angles and stuff)! I have been riding my current setup with minimal variations for over a decade!

57 minutes ago, WinterGold said:

H2O - 22cm

1xsculler - in the current lineup no board is wider than 26.6cm! And I can´t remember a Burton board that wide! Would be nice to see!

Burton does not even attempt to manufacture a serious softy carver.  If they did they sure as hell would not have a sketchy slot binding :smashfrea.  So why criticize them for not making a WIDE softy board for dedicated carvers?  Its not their market. Seriously , none of you guys see that ??  And when you do turn to a serious carving manufacturer's stock softy inventory,,   uh oh  ... Houston, we got a problem :eek::eek:.  Or maybe you  just can't sell those really wide boards.  Obviously the latter. 

cause_wide_DOES_NOT_SELL.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sic t 2 said:

"And when you do turn to a serious carving manufacturer's stock softy inventory..."

That's kinda a strawman argument.  Right below that list is Donek's width customizer, as pictured below.

So he starts the list with a fairly stock width so that customers can size up... it would be confusing to most if he had a waist width of 30cm as the starting point. 

width.PNG

Edited by lonbordin
mo' better

sic t 2 - so the biggest snowboard brand does not have boards which perform well on groomers and we are not supposed to criticizes them :confused:

And if you read the thread then you know that it is not about Burton. I just took them as an example, because they are pretty important in the snowboard market. Many other big brands have the same "problem".

Customs are great and it is good that a lot of you guys take advantage of the possibilities!

But the question here is why about 90% of the production models are simply too narrow for riding groomers competently.

16 minutes ago, WinterGold said:

But the question here is why about 90% of the production models are simply too narrow for riding groomers competently.

Because over 90% of snowboarders can't carve, and most of those that can don't care about getting as much inclination as we do.  They just need to carry speed competently to the next hit.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, piusthedrcarve said:

I think 1xsculler meant to say 'K2 Trucker', which was built early 2000. It was 'Fatter' than Fatbob. 

Yup, you're correct, it is a K2 Trucker 159, 32.5, 28.2, 32.5.  I now remember that I bought it and did use it for a North Cascades Heli-trip that I took my daughter and one of my other daughter's boyfriends on in the early 2000s.  I skied on a pair of wider 160 (maybe Kneissel Red Stars, I can't really remember for sure) in the morning and switched to the Trucker with plate bindings (probably 45*/0*) using my same Salomon SX91 ski boots for both in the afternoon.  The Trucker did well in the deep pow. 

1 hour ago, 1xsculler said:

Yup, you're correct, it is a K2 Trucker 159, 32.5, 28.2, 32.5.  I now remember that I bought it and did use it for a North Cascades Heli-trip that I took my daughter and one of my other daughter's boyfriends on in the early 2000s.  I skied on a pair of wider 160 (maybe Kneissel Red Stars, I can't really remember for sure) in the morning and switched to the Trucker with plate bindings (probably 45*/0*) using my same Salomon SX91 ski boots for both in the afternoon.  The Trucker did well in the deep pow. 

Yup. If I remember correctly, Trucker had "pow" inserts (something like 6 holes on front and 8 holes on back) which was kinda innovative for that time.

But maybe it is the other way round. Maybe they can't carve, because the boards don't let them.

I hear a lot of complaints from weekend warriors who simply cannot put their boards on the edge enough because their boots are in the way.

And really good riders who tell me that they got used to using mellow tilting angles as there is no way around it.

Sounds all pretty wrong to me ...

• Like 2

I just purchased a Donek Hazelwood custom a few weeks ago. I wanted WIDE for the powder and my 11.5 size boots. It is a 185cm, with a 10m shovel to 12m tail sidecut with a 26.5cm waist. The shovel is 32.3cm and the tail is 30.6cm.

Now I needed to learn how to ride a standard non-carving specific board, but on the three days out in the powder, I am getting used to it and love the carving thru the powder. :1luvu:

Capture.JPG

TLN, I really hope that some competitors will try the new width. Especially those not on a WC level. Because at the WC level most riders use very small shell sizes, but a lot of hobby racers don´t. So for them it is even more interesting!

Weight and edge transfer - I don´t really believe that those are an issue. Talking to a lot of pros, most of them don´t even know the weight of their SL setup, so a few grams (can´t be much) won´t matter. Same goes for a few millimeter left and right of the central axis.

But a good body position might have quite some benefits.

• Like 3

Well, you can call me hobby racer probably.  I know that most people tend to ride in smaller shells. For example my street shoes are US11.5 or US12, while 312 UPZ shess is US9.5 at max. I was told that it might be possible to go with 299, which is US8. But UPZ sizing is a bit off.

I don't have skills(and boards, first of all) to compare something wide to something narrow.  I've started with Coiler 180x21, tried SG 185x20. Doesn't feel that I have less grip or something. Doesn't feel that I'm in better body position on Coiler too. I've never tried em same day though: I'm too lazy to swap bindings, and those boards are too similar.

But I wonder how two identical boards will compare in racing. Personally, I doubt that extra width will be beneficial there, even if it provides more efficient position for bigger guys.

^The 312 mm shell is large enough to fit a US 13 footbed comfortably. So saying it's US9.5 max is saying that you need several inches of liner padding. You can stuff it with marshmallows, but that just causes problems. I could probably fit my foot into the 299 mm shell at US13 and then get it punched and find a thin liner. If I were racing, I'd try it. I might anyway, just for better heel hold.

A 21 cm waist board isn't much different from a 20 cm waist at size 28. That is, your angles barely change. You need to go to about 22.5 - 23+ to get racer preferred angles. I find the 20 cm boards feel a little more stable than a 19 cm board, but who knows if it's real. If you sized down to 27 or 26, you'd notice a bigger difference between 20 and 21.

Edited by teach

On 2/24/2017 at 7:08 PM, Jack Michaud said:

Trying my brother in law's Donek Sasquatch tomorrow if it doesn't rain too hard. 28cm wide, 170 long, 11m, pretty stiff. With my size 10.5 Burton Driver-X, at 27/12, it still fails my usual visual check for boot overhang. We'll see how it goes. 

IMG_3377.JPG

Stoked to get this thing in my hands! Very much angles will it be tilted to.

• Like 1