Note to New Members ×

Board width - what is going on???

WinterGold

On 2/22/2017 at 4:03 PM, WinterGold said:

I really hope that some competitors will try the new width. Especially those not on a WC level. Because at the WC level most riders use very small shell sizes, but a lot of hobby racers don´t. So for them it is even more interesting!

Weight and edge transfer - I don´t really believe that those are an issue. Talking to a lot of pros, most of them don´t even know the weight of their SL setup, so a few grams (can´t be much) won´t matter. Same goes for a few millimeter left and right of the central axis.

But a good body position might have quite some benefits.

I agree.

I have been in love with skinny deck (<19 cm) for years and have a good collection of them.  This season with very warm and thaw on man-made snow, its condition was ... crap:  Super icy, bumpy, frozen (Due to riding on night time mostly), sometime man-made powder of 5-6 inches, tracked out crud, etc...    Most of time, I brought 2 boards (one with 20.5 cm width and the other with < or = 18.5 cm width).  I always started with the skinnier board but ended up with the wider one, for Better Balance that caused by better body position.  Knowing and feeling of well-balanced lead me into more aggressive and confident riding on the such crap condition.

SG offers FR 163XT with width 22cm for next season.  It's a bold move and I predict it's going to be a big thing.  Already few board mfgs. are experimenting the wider version (sense).

• Like 1

Hi @ all,

Like WinterGold wrote, I am happy to tell about my first rides with the new SG Soul XT 159.

Normaly I am NOT a Softboot - rider, but I tried a lot of Softboot-Boards and never had much fun.

Then, the wide (27.5cm waist) was Born....

Its really fun to ride that wide machine. You even don't feel the withness. Its very fast and easy to go from edge to edge. Like you See in the pics you can carve it like hell. I have a Burton Ruler Boot in 27.5MP - THATS 42.5.

A lot of you guys think, that the wide Board is slow? Oh noooooo. 

Okay, sorry for my bad english. :-) but its very complicatet to explain ist in english.

Ride hard, guys.

Frank

IMG_20170227_142518.jpg

IMG-20170227-WA0016.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 1/14/2017 at 9:47 PM, lordmetroland said:

Lib Tech's Skunk Ape Ultrawide (28.7cm) was like a revelation. I traded out the dopey Magnetraction for 30 more centimeters of similarly wide Hazelwood and couldn't be happier.

i was eyeing up a 170 ultrawide skunk (good deal opportunity); curious to try a superfat deck, but not ready to pop for a custom Donek. does it make for a passible funcarver? 

• 3 weeks later...