Note to New Members ×

Poll: Hardboot terrain preference

jng

Hardboot terrain preference  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What terrain do you ride in hardboots?

• Corduroy only
    • Mostly groomers (until it gets too choppy)
    • Most terrain (e.g., softboots on powder days)
    • All terrain (powder, crud, bumps, the works)

The poll's strong showing for AM riders sure doesn't jibe with what I saw at SES a couple years ago: I was the lone guy heading away from the groom.

I think that if there is good groom to be had, and you're at the session most riders will choose to stick to the groomers at the session (I know I will). Those that don't prolly won't be seen since they're gonna be hidden in the woods. Thats just a guess.

I don't think the survey is asking that.  I read it more like, "If/when you ride powder/crud/bumps, do you ride hardboots or softboots?"  I ride hardboots exclusively so I chose the last option.  

A different question is what you conditions you would chose to spend more of your time in if you had a choice.  

Powder.  All day, every day.

And I would do it in Alpine Touring boots (technically hard boots, but ride pretty soft).

• Like 1

...  But then I realized some us don't even have a softboot setup. ..

I never had one, only rented when I could not find better kit.

I think "hardbooting" is right. Probably it's discussed elsewhere, but you can carve anything, and I've never been a "carver", just a snowboarder who can carve and who happens to use hard boots.

As far s what conditions I would choose to ride in.. mostly I do choose, and mostly it's powder but I like hardpack days, and that's what the Kessler's for. I can't conceive ever thinking riding rails is anything but dumb.

The question was "what terrain do you ride in hard boots?". Many people on this forum only have hard boots and ride them everywhere, so I wonder if you meant what terrain does one prefer to ride in hard boots? 

Seems to me untracked groom and untracked powder have a similar nirvana quotient.  If having a choice, I would choose either one over bumps and chopped up snow. 

Preferences for boots in deep powder seem to be split between hard and soft boots (or softer hard boots), while hard boots seem to be the choice for groom, especially firm to icy groom.

Where we live and ride affects the answer regarding what conditions we prefer, regardless of footwear. Grooming (and man made snow) is much more universally available, whereas  powder (mother nature's grooming) is not ..."any cat can make cord, only God can make powder"...

So, it's carving groomers on an alpine board with hard boots for me. 

Seriously...only thing is, there is no consideration here based on where people ride...the Snow here in the Rockies is way different than in the east or out west so doesn't that need to be a consideration no matter the equipment you have on? here, we ride either Light Pow or Perfect groom as there is nothing else on the plate, so riding Ice in the East or wet heavy slop Pow in the west really is in no way comparable...We don't need a Virus to rip Carves here or a Tanker for the Pow as Pure Carve proved many years ago...nobody I have seen comes close to the Milkman or the Butcher, or even Joey... so what is the point ? Hero Snow or Ice crud is a major factor in equipment selection...and so this Poll?  is flawed from the get go...simply put if you attended ATC this year, well ? If I lived somewhere else, I would have to Ride something else...I remember Jack saying, well you just have Hero snow and somehow that doesn't count...trust me Jack, It counts and counts and counts, day after day, year after year...

The question was "what terrain do you ride in hard boots?". Many people on this forum only have hard boots and ride them everywhere, so I wonder if you meant what terrain does one prefer to ride in hard boots? 

You're overthinking this.  

For those who only have hardboots and choose to ride everything in them, they are making their preference known implicitly.  There are few obstacles preventing them from getting a softboot setup.

Seriously...only thing is, there is no consideration here based on where people ride...the Snow here in the Rockies is way different than in the east or out west so doesn't that need to be a consideration no matter the equipment you have on? here, we ride either Light Pow or Perfect groom as there is nothing else on the plate, so riding Ice in the East or wet heavy slop Pow in the west really is in no way comparable...We don't need a Virus to rip Carves here or a Tanker for the Pow as Pure Carve proved many years ago...nobody I have seen comes close to the Milkman or the Butcher, or even Joey... so what is the point ? Hero Snow or Ice crud is a major factor in equipment selection...and so this Poll?  is flawed from the get go...simply put if you attended ATC this year, well ? If I lived somewhere else, I would have to Ride something else...I remember Jack saying, well you just have Hero snow and somehow that doesn't count...trust me Jack, It counts and counts and counts, day after day, year after year...

This poll doesn't really need to be that sensitive to local terrain.  I grew up out east and even the crappy NJ hill had a bump run.  If you choose to not ride groomers, or switch to other gear (softboots or skis), then choosing Most or All Terrain is not for you.

Disclaimer: read the disclaimer

Does anybody ride through trees (okay, between trees - don't want the metroland police busting me here too :)  on hardboots?  I know you CAN but are mere mortals able to accomplish this feat?

Yes. Hardboots rock in trees. It's essential to ride a "soft booter" powder board though: those "carving" boards are unpleasant here.

There is tree riding n the first half of this video below. I've also ridden really tight trees with some non-mortal soft booters. I have spent more time in this terrain than they, so it's not a fair game. For sure you can ride trees in soft boots, but I can't see why I'd want to. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't even call that tree riding given the wide corridor you were in. Even if you'd been in the trees proper it's still pretty much wide open. It ain't trees unless you've got to duck and grab a branch here and there to redirect. And yep, totally doable in hard boots with a 170-ish AM board.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill
  • Like 1

I don't know what you are on, but I think hardboots on raceboards have the main goal to be ridden fast,

I mean F-A-S-T

which can have also the interpretation of:

F

A

S

T

With all doo respect, but wasn't today a race softbooters wouldn't be able to follow on that speed AND no-one here on forum did take notice about at all. Hey come on, you won't take interests to what is going on out there on snow? So you don't like to bee true hardbooters?

Today March 26. we had Speedski at Vars resort (France) and the fastest snowboarder went down the mountain straightline at 200.334 km/h (= 124.482 miles/hour) what can be called as F-A-S-T.

Thats not similar like to be placed with hardboots on a raceboard riding down a hill on a green slope on slow motion. For that you realy don't need to be on hardboots, you rather ride softboots!

It's good to know, there are no speed limits on Alpine snowboards like you have it on streets / highways driving a car.

CeeaoH1WsAAerLg.jpg

Ceea6FMWEAE4YL3.jpg

345.jpg

509.jpg

556.jpg

371.jpg

567.jpg

I want just recall, hardbooters on raceboards have the intention to ride fast! Just feel the flow of the air around your body and you are fast enough!

(Beside snowboarders we had today a new World record on skis from an Italien rider at 254.958 km/h which is 158.4 miles/hour)

Edited by snowmatic
  • Like 1

Personally I am way more impressed with the Stuff Jeremy Jones is doing than someone on a groomed course going straight down the Hill...and why You have to attack everyone that does not Doo what You dooo is just plain absurd...why are you Here? what do you Offer other than criticism of others every time you post...

This Post is a perfect example...they are Racing so post it on the Racing thread..

Edited by softbootsailer

Personally I am way more impressed with the Stuff Jeremy Jones is doing than someone on a groomed course going straight down the Hill...and why You have to attack everyone that does not Doo what You dooo is just plain absurd...why are you Here? what do you Offer other than criticism of others every time you post...

I believe we are all asking that same question.   I can only guess.  It is a shame, he occasionally has good info if he could just be pleasant.  Not sure what the purpose is. 

I wouldn't even call that tree riding given the wide corridor you were in. Even if you'd been in the trees proper it's still pretty much wide open. It ain't trees unless you've got to duck and grab a branch here and there to redirect. And yep, totally doable in hard boots with a 170-ish AM board.

(laughs) I was trying to answer the question about mortals riding trees with hard boots. You sound like you have other issues.

Most people never get to ride non-gladed tight trees, but they're a lot less fun than the gladed stuff in my experience. There's no way you'd drag a GoPro on a pole through there.

But I'll look forward to seeing your footage of course!

Being at Big Sky for most of the ski season, unless there's some fresh snow on the groomers or there's another hardbooter on the slopes, I only use groomers to get to the lift base or home.  Today we had a good foot of new snow and about 18" on the peak.  Trees, bumps and steeps ruled today.  Guessing I got close to 30,000 ft.  I'm boarding a '98 Burton Coil.

I went with the "Most Terrain" option but I still keep the hard boots on when then pow comes.  Ideally I love the feeling of carving on hard-pack goomers and will gravitate towards those runs, if they are available and not green circles.  However I'll try carving on whatever the mountain provides on any given day.  I try to approach non ideal conditions (crud, ruts and ice) as practice and slow down and just focus on improving my carving technique (or lack thereof).  I might not enjoy carving on "adverse" snow conditions as much, and it certainly highlights weaknesses in my ability, but any measureable improvement helps keep frusteration manageable.

Bumps kill me though.  Is it possible to carve bumps, or do people skid their turns through bumps?

My goal is to get back into all-mountain off-piste riding (but with hardboots) but that is going to require a new board, which then requires some bargaining at home.

Oh yeah, to keep rbaldwin and jng happy:

Typical snow conditions: Hardpack(midseason), Hardpack/Ice(early spring), Slush/Waterskiing(spring).  Snow is definitely wetter than snow in the Rockies, but not as horrible as the east coast of the US sounds.

Male

Days on the snow per year: typically 20-30 of varying duration (usually an hour or two at night when on the local hill, and all day when I ride at bigger ski areas)

Experience: ~1.5 seasons

• Like 1