Note to New Members ×

UPZ Boots

Maxlanaudiere

So the liner slippage and pinching pain is lessening, but now a new issue of the bones of my ankles feeling like they are smashing plastic at every turn. Took the liners out and felt like there was not enough padding in those areas. Thinking about ditching the stock liners. Anyone try zipfit liners in their upzs? I am worried about going to the thermoflex, because I don't want to loose too much stiffness.

If you don't want to use thermoflex (can't blame you there) and don't feel like taking out a mortgage for the Zipfit, you might consider the lace-up liner from a Lange/Nordica/Technica race boot.  This will only work, however, if the boot shell is already a good match for your foot.

Meanwhile, grind out a relief in the shell for that tendon attachment point, and/or make sure there isn't any liner material forming an obstruction in that area.

Unless tendonitis is your thing.

Maybe get the boots punched for your malleoli as well.

A respectable fitter should be able to do the shell work for a reasonable fee.

My top of my foot, just under the ankle buckle, was just getting crushed, regardless of how loose I set that buckle, or the surrounding buckles.  It was just a function, I think, of the shape of the outer shell.  Sent email to Dan, he suggested ordering a thinner tongue, but I didn't want to go that route, as the boot (liner) seemed lean enough and if there were less, it would just not be enough support or warmth for me.

You can adjust the position of the tongue. It attaches with velcro to the top of the toe. Did you play with that? It can make a huge difference since the tongue is stiff and shaped... it needs to fit the shape of your foot.

As for fit with TD3 standard, the heel bail will engage easily after a few clip-ins. I got new UPZs and never even noticed, but the earlier pair I had had that issue but only briefly.

There was some discussion of slope inside the boot elsewhere. I had my liners out and threw a digital level inside my boot when mounted in the front binding to see the slope when riding.

Boot: UPZ RC10, SIZE m28

Binding: TD3 step-in with 6-degree cants, about 10 degrees of rotation away from pure toe lift.

Front foot slope: 3.5 degrees of heel lift. Yes, heel lift.

I'm using the largest cant available and my front foot heel is still higher than my toe. Wow. So if you're riding with zero cant plates, you actually have a 9.5-degree heel lift in a UPZ.

I don't have any other boots to compare, but I do think the UPZ has a higher heel lift than the Deeluxe boots.

^A very quick check on the DeeLuxe comes in between 8 and 12ish, (on account of the curve molded into the ramp). Either way, it's excessive, thus the recommendation for 6 degree cant disc on the front foot for Dlux  and UPZ.

3-4 net on the front is a good start point.  Coincidentally(?), that's fairly close to where many upper-end ski boots are these days.

My most recent pair of RC-10s are from perhaps the 2013 season and came with Shoxxter straps on top.  After only 30 or so days of use I have found that the stitching that holds the buckles to the strap are failing.  These things aren't nearly strong enough.

Has anybody used the Booster brand ski boot straps as a replacement with their RC10s?  Any compatibility issues?

Same here, been using the Booster strap expert (2-layer) for a while and love it.  You can anchor them but found I didn't have to.  I find the boot really lively with them.  If you tighten them up too much there is a lot of energy stored and they "rebound"...hard to explain but the board seems to snap back at me a little quicker; not a bad thing necessarily but you just have to play around.  

Thanks.  I just ordered a set of the expert/racer Booster straps and hope they are built in a robust fashion.  I'm just irked at how quickly the stock Shoxxter straps failed.  I don't know if the most current UPZ boots have updated straps, but these were disappointing.  The simple velcro straps that came with my old 2009 RC-10s were fine and lasted for many, many days of use until I replaced them with identical new ones just because I was wearing out the velcro itself.  Admittedly I was only loosely buckling my cuffs and maybe this was putting too much pressure on the strap, but I am not a big guy.  I don't see how the Shoxxter straps could possibly withstand the demands of racing.

Edit: When I bought these boots over a year ago, Dan the man at UPZBoots included a set of replacement straps that I hadn't put much thought into.  I had assumed that they were the same as the stock ones, but when I took them out just now I noticed that the stitching is different and these might be stronger.  I guess Dan was way ahead of me the whole time.  Thanks Dan!

Edited by ExcelsiorTheFathead

i have been riding my upz boots again. I have been having trouble with the back of my front leg hurting in heelside turns. i have been using the gray tongue on the front foot. Maybe that and the flat binding is causing this? 9.5 degrees of heel lift? I am going to put the black tongue back on and see what happens? I have been strechting more to loosen the leg up. I don't think this is a good thing.

• 1 year later...
On 1/8/2016 at 10:06 PM, corey_dyck said:

There was some discussion of slope inside the boot elsewhere. I had my liners out and threw a digital level inside my boot when mounted in the front binding to see the slope when riding.

Boot: UPZ RC10, SIZE m28

Binding: TD3 step-in with 6-degree cants, about 10 degrees of rotation away from pure toe lift.

Front foot slope: 3.5 degrees of heel lift. Yes, heel lift.

I'm using the largest cant available and my front foot heel is still higher than my toe. Wow. So if you're riding with zero cant plates, you actually have a 9.5-degree heel lift in a UPZ.

I don't have any other boots to compare, but I do think the UPZ has a higher heel lift than the Deeluxe boots.

Wow!  I've been riding with 6° rear and 3° front (or equivalent b/4 switching to td3's) for many years. Got some UPZ's last year to replace my old reactor/furnace boots (tried Deelux 700's, but they killed my feet). Just developed front knee pain this year. Thinking I should try using a 6° lift in the front. Thanks for providing that measurement.

Scott, I have about 6 hours on Zipfits in my RC10s and I like them. Was  out for a couple hours yesterday and I only buckled my boots 1 time. Heel hold is amazing, they have a built in booster strap and lace up so they are a very secure fit. Im still kinda new with them but initial results are pretty positive. They are also pretty stiff.

Edited by Bobby Buggs
  • Like 1

Thanks Corey for measuring that.  I switched to UPZ this year in search of better heel hold-down and definitely got it.  But my front leg is definitely getting tired more.  I suspected I should switch from the 3 to the 6 degree disc in front, and this confirms it.  I wonder how the Deeluxes would measure, but I'm sure it's less.

As for the boots overall, the fit is much better for me, I get zero heel lift and my foot does not move in the boot.  Adding the stiffer gray tongue and Intuition liners was necessary for me to get my desired stiffness and fit.  The stock liners squirmed around inside the shell, and no, the boots are not oversized.  In fact I would say they are nearly a race fit as I need to unbuckle them every lift ride.  The performance is worth it though.  I can see why a lot of racers use them.

I got rid of my UPZs towards the end of last season. After significant money spent on shaping, liners, etc... I just could not get them to be rideable. I had significant pain in my ankle (felt like smashing against plastic every turn). I went back to my "race fit" heads, where my toes are crunched. But at least I can ride for more than an hour without horrible pain.

16 minutes ago, NHRider said:

Exactly what liners are you guys running in your UPZ'S?. just switched from 325's to rc10's for the same reasons as jack. The stock liners felt good for about 2 days and already loosey goosey. 

Intuition Alpine for me.  I only have about 3 days on them so far, but the foam is much stiffer than the Deeluxe 141 foam.  

I found the stock liners perfectly adequate (no pain, no movement), but not perfect comfort. To avoid developing shin-bang with UPZ's, I found it important to keep the top 2 buckles tight enough so that the cuff is in firm contact with my lower leg (no play), which usually means retightening after the first run.

I tried putting a 6° disc/lift in the front and it immediately felt way more comfortable (carpet surfing). The true test is to see how it rides when winter returns (serious January thaw happening here):mad: 

Edited by bigwavedave

oh gawd... the stock liners are so bad... so bad... I have two sets of intuitions I run... One's my everyday (old scarpa) and the other is Intuition Plug liners.  The plug liners are so much better than the stock. Plugs!

I've thought about selling my liners on BOL but I just can't subject someone else to that liner. :barf:

Edited by lonbordin
a word

4 hours ago, NHRider said:

Exactly what liners are you guys running in your UPZ'S?. just switched from 325's to rc10's for the same reasons as jack. The stock liners felt good for about 2 days and already loosey goosey. 

Intuition Power Wrap.  Recommended.

• Like 1