Note to New Members ×

UPZ Boots

Maxlanaudiere

So my Head have more stop drill holes then a spaghetti strainer. I really need to get new boots. Deluxe do not fit me so the only option left are the UPZ. 

The RC10 seems like they'll be too stiff and the ATB look too noodly. RC8 seemed like what I was looking for but they're gone (sent an email to check).

Anyone as feedback on the ATBs or the RC8 ? 

The RC10 comes standard with the black tongues. Although these are the second-softest, they are still very noticeably stiffer than the red ones. Maybe you can order your pair with red tongues and save the cost for the additional tongues?

There are also two spring systems, neither of which I have ridden, both of which can be used to soften the boots: The ACSS (originally designed for Head) can be ordered with an adapter piece for UPZ, and the DGSS is designed for UPZ boots. Both can be found on the EC forum.

Much of the stiffness of the UPZ boots comes from the stock liner with it's stiff tongue. Easy fix - replace the liner with a thermo flex liner from Deeluxe or Intuition. Softer flex, warmer feet, and more comfortable! More money though...

I found my RC-10s to be quite comparable in flex to my old white/red Deeluxe Track 700s after swapping liners.

Salut Max,

Je seconde ce que dit Aracan et Corey, je connais pas beaucoup de monde qui ride avec les liners de UPZ, donc plus de $$ a prévoir. Claude ride avec les langues rouges, demandes lui comment il compare les langues.

Same as Aracan and Corey, don't know people riding with the UPZ liners so plan for more $$. Claude ride with the red tongues, you can ask him how he compares both.

6'3 190. Forward and Aft flex is not the issue. It's can be modified quite easily with tongues, spring systems etc. I'm shopping for lateral flex.

Ok from what've read ATBs are marshmallows.  OUT ! and I'm well aware of the liners, but hey who knew ! More info the better.

Corey: Thanks ! I'd like something a bit softer lateraly then the 700s. The more I sanded my heads the more I liked them. Say maybe that's why they're cracked all over :P

Went to try a pair of 28.5 Track 700. Apparently the fit as improved since 2007. So some track 325 could work, great plan B available locally. But I'd rather have the UPZ since they are shorter in length. Rough plan A, have to special order the RC8 A.S.A.P.

Speaking of Deluxe, What's with the 425s ? I fail to grasp the difference with the 700s EDIT: Holy price tag Batman ! 

Surf: Je vais surement faire un tour à Sorel pour tester le Fit des UPZ.

Edited by Maxlanaudiere

How much do you weigh? I ride the RC10 with the standard tongues and find them rather flexible. The fit of the RC10 is way more better than the lower models of UPZ. I use my superstiff Deeluxe Track 700 for my raceboards (standard set up).

I'm using RC10s now and find them a lot softer laterally than the RTRs I was using. In fact the RC10s sort of seem to disappear; I don't even notice them. I think you'd like them. I'm in the 190 - 215 lb range, at the high end lately; my boards feel the difference but the boots don't seem to.

If it came down to it, maybe you could put an ATB cuff on RC10s to get more lateral flex?

But I'd rather have the UPZ since they are shorter in length.

I posted some photos and measurements of RC10 vs Deeluxe Indy vs Head Carve-X ski boots (all sized for M28) last season to show that the "short sole length" of the UPZs isn't really a difference on edge. I love the UPZs, but not that feature.

In case you're not aware, Deeluxe has two shell shapes. The 325 have a different shape from the 700. The SB (325, and supposedly 425) are the SB shape, the 700 is the AF shape. Fin posted a dissection of these, literally. SB are narrower in the forefoot.

I also think the RC10 with standard tongues are flexible. I went to the stiffer set. RC 10s have 5 buckles witch sounds good. But im rubbing buckle 2 and 3 together with the stiffer tongues .Counting from top down. So far no trouble has come from it in 4 seasons. I love how light they are. Helpful when you fly to your mountain. And in my case less weight for older legs.

Edited by Cuban Carving Gooding

UPZ RC8 is a way different shell and boot compared to Head Stratos Pro's!

If you are well on Head Stratos Pro's try to get a pair of them again!

Take care, UPZ RC8 have many "con's" (like some of them to RC10 too):

- hard to entry

- hard to take lever for to open buckles with gloves on

- lever of buckle is way to short, closing force is not manageable as well

- flex of boots strongly varied with closing force of buckles

- has an unusual strong heel ramp which tooks you way more forward (even on front foot!), than Head Stratos Pro's do. This affect a lot to your ride.

- restricted moving of cuff on walk-mode compared to Head

- no rubber soles on toes, what can be slippery if walking

- not nice to walk with them on (not functional)

Head Stratos Pro's comes with significant softer flex (even on sideflex) than UPZ RC8.

Head Stratos Pro's are way more dedicated to Alpine snowboarding than UPZ's ever had been!

UPZ's are designed to use as skiboots too (Hybrid boots). You should take a decision! Do you want to go snowboarding with hardboots, or do you like to go skiing with skiboots! Anything between isn't realy helpfull.

Good to know:

Head hardboots had once been the most popular hardboots after the Raichle's (now Deeluxe) here in continental Europe. People loves them. While UPZ's had been realy niche hardboots only.

Head boots (like Raichel/Deeluxe too) fit any plate-bindings, while UPZ's (and even Nortwaves too) have some restrictions.

Well things change the last 5-10 Years. While Deeluxe turns to put out more and more low quality, UPZ's became more and more popular as a usefull second source (I would say choice of hardboots is on a low level now).

I want to ask you Maxlanaudiere: Which boot size of Head Stratos Pro you need.

If big feets (or small) HTM (Head Tyrolia Mares) headquarter has some remaining pairs on stock. They can send them via your country distributor to your local ski-shop which do dealings with HTM.

Otherwise there are some shops in Europe which have some pairs of Stratos Pro's left.

Retail price of Head Stratos Pro was (and still is!) at € 350.-. On some countrys they can be up to a € 550.- price tag.

There would be no reasons for to sell them for less, even if last production lot is from 2010. If price is to high to customers the shops redirect them to some Deeluxe or UPZ's from the season before which are on sale.

Edited by snowmatic

Wow that's a lot of info to digest thanks guys,

Hans I'm a 28.5, 190 pounds.

I think I've ruled out the RC8s.

From what I've read the stiffness difference between 325 and the 700 is barely noticeable, main difference would be in the shell design. It seems the general consensus is that the T700 is just a better boot.

Snowmatic I could go back to Head boots if I can find a pair in 28.5. But I don't like the idea of cutting the wing and driling for the BTS installation once again. The BTS improved those boots so much for me.

T700 with BTS sounds tempting now.

Well got time to think about it.

Edited by Maxlanaudiere

For a bit of perspective:

Take care, UPZ RC8 have many "con's" (like some of them to RC10 too):
- hard to entry

Really? I never noticed.

- hard to take lever for to open buckles with gloves on

I never noticed.

- lever of buckle is way to short, closing force is not manageable as well

I never noticed, but I feel like John Wayne now. Thanks!

- flex of boots strongly varied with closing force of buckles

I do not understand. Do you mean that the boots flex differently after you close the buckles? That would seem to be the case with every boot, nay, with every type of footwear on the market, even those that have laces instead of buckles.

Head Stratos Pro's comes with significant softer flex (even on sideflex) than UPZ RC8.

Strange. There must be more than one type of HSP around. The pair I briefly owned was at least as stiff as the RC8, especially fore/aft. With the red tongues, the RC8 was noticeably softer than the HSP with the softer (orange?) tongues installed.

Head Stratos Pro's are way more dedicated to Alpine snowboarding than UPZ's ever had been!
UPZ's are designed to use as skiboots too (Hybrid boots). You should take a decision! Do you want to go snowboarding with hardboots, or do you like to go skiing with skiboots! Anything between isn't realy helpfull.

So, you would recommend the Head boot that was originally designed as a ski boot over the UPZ boot that was designed with skiing AND snowboarding in mind? Moreover, people who have used the UPZ for skiing seem to agree that it is basically a snoboard boot with DIN pieces, not a hybrid boot.

• Like 1

I've also not experienced most of the issues above. They are a little harder on and off than my Raichle or Deeluxe, but it's manageable. I have Fintec heels- mine are slick front and rear and no harder to walk in than my Raichle's. Not that that's an issue- I ride in them more than I walk in them, and the walking is usually on slick surfaces that are equally terrible in any boot. I'm 170lbs and not as strong as I used to be, and I like the lateral flex on these. Riachle's were a revelation years ago, and the UPZ's were even better (for me).

• Like 1

Not staying idle between posts, reading a lot but they're not much left on the internet's forums I haven't read. Even the Skiboard forum (wtf are those things) has threads on these boots.

Seems it's going to be either a set of RC10, after I do a fit test, but they're way more expensive or go with easily available T700 with my old BTS and yellows which fit me quite good. 

Hans I see you ride both at the moment and only use the T700 for your race setup. Mind giving me a RC10 vs T700 reviews. You say your 700 are superstiff ? done anything special to them. Seems like the Boys at Swoard are using either RC10s or T700s with modified springs system. Can't be that stiff if they like it.

Here is it goes:

UPZ boots: one of the most comfortable boots I have ridden to date with the standard tongues, flexible enough for freecarving my small Virus Boards (Black Death, former 3 Cyborgs, Nightmare and yet to come a Interceptor Evo + +). I ride these boots with a semi hard foamed liner from Boot Doc. What I find uncomfortable about the boots: To stepin and out due may be to my high footarch. I al;so have thias with my Deeluxe T700. I hope this problem will be partly solved by the new generation UPZ RC10 because of the new tongue construction and the new buckles that you set vertically open by a new spring mechanism. I ride the UPZ RC10 also with a custom spring machanism bought from a italian guy. Boots have more travel and are way more dynamic cause of the longer spring which helps me a lot in my carving technique (more control in lay downs). I ride thse boards with Bomber stepins. Boots that fit this best boots also which  I have ridden: Raichle AF 600.

My Deeluxe T700 with custom foamed (hard foam) full leather Strolz liner. I ride these boots in the most upward position. The stiffer the boot the better. I use these boots for my race boards (Jasey Jay slalom) with plates where I feel I have more control with a stiff boot. I ride the boards in a more upward style. Have ridden the boots with a bomber BTS, but I couldn't adapt enough with this spring system. Without I feel, I have more control and direct power with my board. But may be another snowboarder has it just the other way around. It's just me. I ride these boards with standard F2 |CNC bindings.

Both boots have the 'problem' that the buckles touch each other when you push the boot. But I think, well a hardboot is hard to make without touching those buckles.

Edited by Hans

Max, pour le système de ressort je suis a travaillé a la production a petite échelle du même système que j'ai fabriqué l'an dernier pour mes RC-10. Il est très éficace et je l'ai fais de façon a ne pas percé des trous dans les bottes. J'utilise les trous déjà existant. Tu peux en parler a Claude il les a vu.

Si tu en veux.....

get the RC10. It's very comfortable. Stock liners didn't work for me but they're not bad. I can EC/move around a lot in them if they are unlocked and when I want to go harder I just lock them. Build quality is also pretty good. Only con (as noted) is the steep heel ramp, but our bindings can compensate for that.

I'm all about buying used but after trying 3 different boots, none of which worked for me, the RC10's solved all of that.

Edited by NickG