Note to New Members ×

UPZ Boots

Maxlanaudiere

• 2 weeks later...

I Have a pair of UPZ Virus boots and I don't think I like the heel ramps tilting me forward.  On my front foot I can't get the boot to be upright enough. It feels like I have to bend my knee too much all of the time. I can get my Deluxe boot into the proper place if I set it at 4 which is more upright than the UPZ. If I ride the deluxe at 3 my leg will start to hurt right above the top of my knee cap.  Has anyone ground the UPZ shell to get rid of the heel ramp? I have tried these boots a lot and I think I am going to go back to my deluxe? Maybe I could shim the insole in the front? I am afraid that I would have problems with my foot getting being too high in the shell by doing this? 

Those new ones are less rigid as the old ones. There is a spring system in it, so they stay vertical when you open them: comfortable to get in and out. With the old ones when getting in and out: you had to turn them away and after getting in, turning them back. With the new ones when you are in the boot, just a slight touch is enough to get them in closing position, nice! Also the new tongue is a never seen simple turn away comfortable construction. I have a high arch, just comfortable to get in and out, this boot is a winner! Can't say anything about the liner because I have a custommade bootdoc semifoam liner in it, because my feet measures differently and due to a high arch. Unbeatable combo with the aftermarket ialian DGSS springsystem on it, http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12272 Makes the boot way more dynamic in flex due to the bigger flex range caused by the bigger springs.

The buckles are microadjustable of course.

Edited by Hans

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a new pair of RC10 exactly like pictured above and the fit is pretty great, having some mild pain in the heel area near my achilles. But I am having a significant issue as the boot flexes. The boot flexes and the liner in the heel area actually lifts, sliding inside the shell. Any ideas as to how to prevent this? I tried wrenching down the buckles so hard it hurt, but it still was happening. 

Give it some time. It will cost the liner at least a half an hour to warm up and to be formed well. There is a sort of gel/foam in the heel which you can form in the area of your achilles with your thumbs. And put it some decent insoles with enough volume.

Edited by Hans

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a pair of rc-10's and they arrived a couple weeks ago.  I was super excited, after having read as much as I could comparing Deeluxe and UPZ.  Narrow feet, heel lift, shorter footprint, built in spring system... seemed like a dream.  Customer service was amazing, very helpful, very friendly.

I got the 28.5, fit was right on the money, though maybe a touch close on my pinky toe, but not a deal breaker.  But I noticed two problems, in case anybody is similar to my feet...

My top of my foot, just under the ankle buckle, was just getting crushed, regardless of how loose I set that buckle, or the surrounding buckles.  It was just a function, I think, of the shape of the outer shell.  Sent email to Dan, he suggested ordering a thinner tongue, but I didn't want to go that route, as the boot (liner) seemed lean enough and if there were less, it would just not be enough support or warmth for me.

Other thing I noticed when trying to love these boots was the tight fit with my new TD3 standards.  These bindings don't have a spring to pop the heel bail up, and the bail thickness is slightly greater than the gap in the heel of the boot.  I had trouble buckling in, standing in my living room.  If it is a problem there, I didn't want to face that on a freezing evening at the top of the hill.

I just had to send them back, he refunded with no problem.

Again, Dan was amazing, the boots were a great option, but seemed like my scenario just wasn't ideal for these boots.  For my first new boots since 1997, and first new hard boots ever, I want them right.

Just fyi, I had a very similar problem with my UPZs on the top of my foot. They are not too friendly to people with a tall foot. I went to a bootfitter and literally the only thing he did was make me a full custom footbed, stating that it would help seat my heel in the back of the boot, making more clearance, and also help with heel lift (also a problem I have had in every boot I have used). It helped tremendously! I have no issues with the top of my foot now, the only problem I am having now are cold toes. From what I can tell it is not pressure point related, so I may eventually try a different liner in the future and see if it helps. Currently I just stick toe warmers on top of my toes.

As for the bindings, the reason it is a bit more difficult with UPZs is because they move it more under the foot than behind to help get that smaller footprint. I personally find it much much easier with the TD3s than the TD1s I used to use. The spring system on TD1s and 2s is very difficult to get the heel in the right place and the bail on the groove. In TD3s with the hard stop it is very easy to get it in the right place. Only issue I have is snow buildup on the heel which I have to scrape off. FYI, TD3s have changed over the years, the newer ones (at least comparing the sidewinders) are much more accommodating to the UPZ boots than some of the first year's versions, especially comparing them for small size boots.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

regarding the top of your foot, well, first I presume you have a footbed, that helps a lot, in addition, you should get out a dremel or if you don't have one, then a very sharp box cutter, or best of all go to a boot fitter. 

You can pull the liner out, and feel inside, you may feel some material under the tongue which is the shell, that's probably what is compressing your foot.

If you want to fix, a boot fitter can probably do it without taking the tongue off, but for us mortals, easier to just take the tongue off.  Start with unscrewing the grey tongue which will likely be the grey color, take it completely off the boot., I used to have this issue in the past although not with UPZ, but you can try this.  There is likely a bit of material plastic of the shell right over where the lump on the top of your foot is.  grind it away; mark it first with a marker pen with your foot in it about where you think it would be with the liner on, then take your foot out, and grind; it is probably going to need about 5mm in and maybe 15mm long.  Don't worry about leakage of water etc, it's fine.  However, make sure you do it as a semi circle not as a rectangle, thinning towards the bit you trim away, as boots are quite brittle plastic, and you don't want it to crack.

I don't know if you have moulded liners.  I recommend them.  But if you don't, then put the liner on your foot outside the boot.  there may well be a piece of hard plastic running right around the area over the top of that lump on the top of your foot.  Either dremel or carefully slice away the plastic only, if you can try to avoid the spot where it is stiched onto the liner, but if that's the part that is compressing, well grind it off.

And the first few times you ride, consider to use a topical anti inflammatory like Votaren or similar on your feet, seems to stop any swelling.

For the bindings, usually the issue is that the heel height is quite high, and it's concealed so it can be a bit of a pain in the neck to engage it especially if the sole has any snow at all.  Obviously not much of a problem on the front foot, but a right nuisance on the back foot.  I found that if you take the TD3 apart, and increase the length of the heel bail a bit (if is threaded, so you take the pin out, so the two ends are both not engaged, make sure you don't lose the washers and take a picture if you are not a mechanical person so you know how to put it back together as it goes together a specific way with the pin always running from one side to the other); unwind a few turns of each side so that moves the bail "up" a little and that should make it easier to engage the heel.  Make sure both sides are equal, and don't unwind too much since obviously it needs some thread to engage the bail.

I have the exact same size boot, and you just get used to engaging it, what I always do is to thread the heel in first with the toe lifted a bit, then flatten my foot and flick on the toe bail, this seems to be easiest method; compared to the Deeluxe it is shorter sole supposedly, but the heel hidden back there is a bit hard to see.  I always lift up the heel as I ride off, just to be sure it engaged, I know 99% of the time  if it is or isn't.

Sorry if this doesn't help much.

I have switched from the deluxe, and find the UPZ to be pretty great in a lot of respects.

Edited by kipstar

I read about trying to modify the boots, but if I am going to drop that much for a new pair of boots I expect them to fit. After getting my refund I ordered some 325s, which fit with the td3 with no problem, and they fit my feet. The heel cup of the upz seemed better, but the deeluxe are just fine. The only huge benefit of the upz is the built in spring system, from what I can tell.

Where can you get UPZ parts? My friend has broken the metal piece that fits in the lower boot in the rear and connects to the forward lean adjuster. It's the piece with the 4 holes in it.Thanks

I'd first check with Dan Yoja.  It's not listed in the parts for sale on his site so might be a manufacturer direct purchase.

http://upzboots.com/product-category/rcr-power-parts/

What was your friend doing when he/she broke that piece and how did it break (bend, crack etc)?

Edited by Hilux

I went riding yesterday for the first time in about eight years. A combination of factors kept me off the hill for so long. Finances, bad snow years etc.

I used my brand new UPZ RC10's that I had purchased many years ago (eight years I guess LoL) with the intention of using and never quite got around to it. My last boots were Burton fire's (smoked grey see through shell)  which as I understand is a pretty stiff boot as they go.

My RC10's are stock with the exception of a pair of stainless T-nuts on the two screws closest to the front of the boot. When I got the boots I just didn't trust how those two toe piece screws were just screwed into the plastic of the shell's sole.

I was riding my Rossignol world cup 184, Burton race plates with aluminum discs. Conditions were hero hardpack with temps around -10c all day. With all my gear on I am about 190 lbs.

I really liked the RC10's. At no point during the day did I think I needed a stiffer boot (forward flex or lateral) as I do ride pretty high angles of 60 and 57 for zero overhang on a 190mm waist width board. They were reasonably comfortable for what is arguably a full race boot. Would recommend

About the only thing I didn't like about the RC10's was if you have to walk down a snow hill there isn't any heel to stand on so you will most likely end up on your ass so you learn to walk down a steep incline sideways LoL

BTW I totally killed it. Haven't forgotten a thing. Fast low carves, lightning transitions and a magnet for the mountain safety crew. Unfortunately my legs aren't able to keep up with what my brain is telling them to do so I had to rest frequently.

20151230_120138.jpg

Such a beautiful day !!!!!!

20151230_123104.jpg

Edited by mr_roboteye

Your killing me with those pictures. Season hasn't started yet in Ontario and Tremblant only has a few runs. How's the road traffic ?

The road was bare pavement all the way. It hadn't snowed for about 4 or five days but earlier in the week I imagine it was "entertaining". Was a little icy when you got within ten minutes of Creekside but the rest of the highway was fine

Traffic was a little busy, but moved along fine until I got into West Vancouver where it was an unmitigated friggin' disaster

Do you want me to kill you a little more? haha Here's another pic from a few days ago and one I took about fifteen years ago

20151230_095218.jpg

This picture was taken with a 6x6 Rollei TLR on slide film

img075.jpg

Edited by mr_roboteye

I'm sitting here watching and waiting for the guns to make enough ahem! (snow ) to slide on. One of my kids is in BC instructing the other driving a groomer at Lake Louise . How did my life go so terribly wrong ? Thanks for the picture now I have an image to fixate on tonite when I have my drought nightmare. 

Hey Dave R! We haven't seen you on slopes for years! Good to hear you are getting some snow time. Come ride with the crew on Cypress, it's shaping into a great season.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Hi Boris, yes it's been quite a while haha. Had a lot of fun and maybe horrified a few people too. We'll see about Cypress man.