Note to New Members ×

What Coiler board would you choose

breeseomatic

Looking at your existing quiver on your profile and seeing Mammoth as your home resort... I'd suggest a Monster 2 in whatever length suits you.   There was a reddish orange snakeskin one in the SES demo tent...   I was riding my blue one during most of the session.   

Why?   It's quite versatile and a lot of fun, and there's nothing in your existing quiver that's quite like it.   It's the one board I've ever been on that carves aggressively and likes powder.    

My 2nd suggestion would be Nirvana Energy, no torsion plus, 12/14 scr (which he typically does in a 174).    There was a blue flame example in the tent that had the torsion-plus treatment and was somewhat stiff.   I tried out the demo and enjoyed it but when I got back on my own Nirvana Energy without the torsion plus I was immediately reminded just how fun and playful mine is.   I've ridden numerous versions of the Nirvana and the Energy w/o torsion plus is still my favorite.  

Yes, I'm essentially recommending the two boards I brought to SES with me... you likely saw me on both... bottom line is, over the past two years, I really haven't demoed anything that I like better than these two decks.   (Well actually... I rode the Monster demo last year and pretty much ordered my own on the spot...)

• Like 1

I recently got a:

Nirvana VCam (smooth initiation and easy to transition into a skid if needed)

178cm long (stable ride)

12/14m scr (good all round scr, can do big and small arcs if called upon)

19cm wide (quick edge to edge)

16mm taper (stable and less twitchy at higher speed)

Just rode it for 17 days. Changed my life. Love it. Love Prof. BV.

I went with a Coiler 178 Nirvana Balance 23 wide 12-14 scr (Flex 6.5 + 5).  It's become my do anything board (slush, icy, fresh snow, etc).  Really confidence inspiring.  If I was choosing another board I might get the same board but with either the Energy or the VCAM option.

That said the Monster really intrigues me and Bruce did gently mention it as a good fit for me a couple of times through the process.

It's a problem to decide.

• Like 1

I thought you won a Donek build at SES? Surprised you're not asking "which Donek".

Get a board made for the type of snow conditions you ride most. The Nirvana balance that I had seemed optimized for typical "Aspen-like" soft packed powder. Even though it was a great all around board, it was not as good as "race" boards (SG, REV, Kessler) on typical Minnesota firm and ice. If you're riding open spaces and softer snow, the Monster is like a big Nirvana with a "Cadillac" ride. 

Snow conditions and riding style matter.  Balance versus energy has to do with core profile, and I find that it affects how "balanced" the board is when softer packed powder gets chopped up in the afternoon.  The balance profile puts a slightly forward bias to the stiffness -- a little stiffer nose and softer tail compared to the energy.  The energy goes with a softer nose and stiffer tail -- traditional thinking for race boards -- and puts the thickest part of the core under the rear binding (i.e. not a balanced core profile).

I find the balanced without torsion-plus to be the most versatile and comfortable ride in western resort snow conditions.  Adding torsion-plus increases edge hold and returns more energy while the groomers are smooth, but is a compromise because it gives up some of the Cadillac ride over crud.  More carbon makes for a "bouncier" board, counteracting some of the qualities of the titanal.  A 175 Nirvana balance with a carbon version of the torsion-plus butterfly has been my goto board this season, even for late afternoon riding because its so fun to ride, but it's noticeably harsher (bouncier) than the one without the torsion-plus.  The torsion-plus treatment narrows the comfortable conditions, but rewards conditions within that band.

Both balance and energy Nirvanas can be ridden fast and aggressively, like faux race boards.  Choosing between balance and energy has as much to do with your riding style as snow conditions.  If you tend to drive harder with your front leg, go balanced.  If you tend to drive harder with your rear leg, go energy.  I prefer the balanced because I think I ride forward to neutral.  If you tend to roll pressure to the rear through your turns and hop off the tail, go energy. 

Snow conditions still matter too.  The stiffer nose of the balance inspires more confidence in softer western snow -- less fear of folding the nose into the soft snow, and the softer tail resists blowing out against soft snow or spring corn.  The softer nose and stiffer tail of the energy rewards firm chalky conditions with faster turn initiation followed by de-cambering the middle and tail for the exit of the turn.

If I could have only one of my carving boards, I think it would have to be my 175 Nirvana balance, no torsion-plus, medium sidecut (~12.5/14).  Rides everything pretty damn well.  I was on it the later half of SES after I dinged the torsion-plus at snowmass and put it on injured reserve awaiting a minor repair.  I don't ride my Monster or old VSR that much anymore.

Snow conditions and riding style matter.  Balance versus energy has to do with core profile, and I find that it affects how "balanced" the board is when softer packed powder gets chopped up in the afternoon.  The balance profile puts a slightly forward bias to the stiffness -- a little stiffer nose and softer tail compared to the energy.  The energy goes with a softer nose and stiffer tail -- traditional thinking for race boards -- and puts the thickest part of the core under the rear binding (i.e. not a balanced core profile).

I find the balanced without torsion-plus to be the most versatile and comfortable ride in western resort snow conditions.  Adding torsion-plus increases edge hold and returns more energy while the groomers are smooth, but is a compromise because it gives up some of the Cadillac ride over crud.  More carbon makes for a "bouncier" board, counteracting some of the qualities of the titanal.  A 175 Nirvana balance with a carbon version of the torsion-plus butterfly has been my goto board this season, even for late afternoon riding because its so fun to ride, but it's noticeably harsher (bouncier) than the one without the torsion-plus.  The torsion-plus treatment narrows the comfortable conditions, but rewards conditions within that band.

Both balance and energy Nirvanas can be ridden fast and aggressively, like faux race boards.  Choosing between balance and energy has as much to do with your riding style as snow conditions.  If you tend to drive harder with your front leg, go balanced.  If you tend to drive harder with your rear leg, go energy.  I prefer the balanced because I think I ride forward to neutral.  If you tend to roll pressure to the rear through your turns and hop off the tail, go energy. 

Snow conditions still matter too.  The stiffer nose of the balance inspires more confidence in softer western snow -- less fear of folding the nose into the soft snow, and the softer tail resists blowing out against soft snow or spring corn.  The softer nose and stiffer tail of the energy rewards firm chalky conditions with faster turn initiation followed by de-cambering the middle and tail for the exit of the turn.

If I could have only one of my carving boards, I think it would have to be my 175 Nirvana balance, no torsion-plus, medium sidecut (~12.5/14).  Rides everything pretty damn well.  I was on it the later half of SES after I dinged the torsion-plus at snowmass and put it on injured reserve awaiting a minor repair.  I don't ride my Monster or old VSR that much anymore.

Excellent breakdown, John - just like Corey said.

I demo'd the 172 Stubby and 178 Nirvana Balance (at least I think that 178 was a Balance) and was torn between the 2. Obviously very different boards, and I was potentially leaning towards a Nirvana but wondered whether the Energy or the Balance would be the better option. I rode the 178 and loved the 'Cadillac feel' about it, and then straight afterwards rode the Stubby and really liked that too. It definitely didn't feel as 'stable' as the 178, I wasn't sure if that was a length issue or the fact that the Stubby is just set-up differently. Definitely felt like you could tip the Stubby up on edge more (as Bruce does 'market' it as a more friendly EC board) but I was surprised at how easy the 178 Nirvana was (I guess being a 12-14 SCR means you can make it quite turny when you want to).

This is a great thread - because I too am thinking of a Coiler to add to the quiver, but just can't decide between a Stubby and a Nirvana - and even within the Nirvana option, a Balance or an Energy! Based on John's description, I'm thinking that a Balance (either 175 or 178) here in Snowmass is probably a better option for me...?

So I've been riding Donek's for 15 years now. I did ride a Coiler Balance a year ago at SES14. I mentioned to Bruce that I'd like to ride something as close to my Proteus (177cm, 18 width, stock flex, 12m radius) but with a softer flex more suited to my 145-150lbs. Well Bruce was right. It had everything my Proteus does but I was able to crank it around on the one steep/firm/scraped section at the bottom of Highlands at the end of the day (Mike T followed me down the run and I put everything I had into Bruce's demo). I dont know if it had the torsion-plus but if you like the pop of a glass board that rides on firm snow like a metal board, then I'd recommend the Balance too.

This is a great thread - because I too am thinking of a Coiler to add to the quiver, but just can't decide between a Stubby and a Nirvana - and even within the Nirvana option, a Balance or an Energy! Based on John's description, I'm thinking that a Balance (either 175 or 178) here in Snowmass is probably a better option for me...?

All the Aspen resorts have exceptional grooming.  I've never seen them leave scalloped swim lanes up the hill like lesser resorts, and seldom any track marks left from grooming when it's too soft.  So adding the torsion-plus option is quite viable if that's your home hill.  At lower elevations, when wet snow comes the resulting afternoon crud on the groomers is anything but powder, but at Colorado elevations, I expect the crud is still loose.  The added composites of the torsion-plus are just a problem when the crud is of the "wet cement" variety.  As I said, a torsion-plus model have been my favored board this year even though it's a compromise on harshness -- I still have my non-torsion-plus if things get too rough in the afternoon.

The plus side of the torsion-plus is a more aggressive, exciting ride.  The resistance to twisting gives the tip and tail better bite, so you feel like you can really charge with it.  And I think it adds more overall pop (energy return) than the energy core profile does.  When I ride them back to back, the torsion-plus encourages a more aggressive run -- shortened transitions; just bang, bang, bang from turn to turn.  Early-in, early-out turning.  You can look like a racer, without being one.

When I say "harsher ride", don't worry too much.  It still rides less harsh than any Donek or Oxess I've ridden when the going gets rough, with their full lengh, full width carbon layout.

The Energy without Torsion Plus will give you all the edge bite without the little bit of harshness, at the expense of a nose that is slightly more likely to fold.   Even so, I confidently ride my Energy in soft snow and it's never spanked me the way some of my previous boards did in such conditions.  

In the end, a lot of great Nirvana choices!    

What about a Nirvana Balance with Torsion-plus and vCam too?  Can we add any more options?

Heh.  I do have another tweak to the torsion-plus layout that I want to try.  I call it the Nirvana XXX (Triple-X), but we haven't prototyped that yet.

I haven't tried a NFC Vcam.  Most coilers have very good slide characteristics, but the torsion-plus treatment does increase the possibility of chatter when you break loose.  It's quite possible that a Vcam torsion-plus would compensate.  Hmm....