Note to New Members ×

"You are creating a hazard!"

Jack M

Around where I board the angry skier(s) complain about snowboarders scraping the snow off the run. They'll probably always find something to whine about. Hope to be refining my trench digging ability next season.

As somebody that does in fact complain about the snowboarders scraping the snow, I see a difference.

I give the carvers a tongue-in-cheek hard time about leaving trenches and "ruining the hill", but those ruts are a result of skill. You all deserve to be there and a genuine complaint is IMHO jealousy talking.

However, when I see a softie side-slipping down a mogul run, that's truly irritating. They aren't "ruining" the slope through skill, but rather a lack of skill. Just as skiers that complain of trenches should probably reconsider their skill level, boarders that can't make it down a run without sliding sideways should too.

In time, I hope to be able to leave a pair of trenches in my wake too (when the powder is missing, or course). In the mean time, I promise I won't stick my thumb in the existing ones—wouldn't want to break it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This vid from Mike Strain shows some of the hazards we were creating on early loads that day.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj0HO19VGdA?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="390"><object style="height: 390px; width: 640px;"></object>

object%3E

Did we get any "hooligan" letters to the editor in Aspen this year? That was my fave part of the SES - to open up the morning paper and see which bejewelled and befurred fossil was complaining about us today ...

Too funny, Ally.

Can someone post these? Are they online?

BTW, I'm AMAZED at the ranting tweaker hazard guy. How on earth did Boardski keep his composure? STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What we need now is footage of someone getting Trench-Totaled!

Here is a photo of what BigDogDave and I accomplished at his hill in two hours a couple of Saturdays ago. :ices_ange

Confined to the one run, we continued to rip this one up for 5 more hours, then he stayed to patrol the night shift too. But when the little heelsliders started showing up in the afternoon, they groomed this run out quite well, and we had our hands full trying to keep a decent set of trenches showing. Never heard a single complaint, except from the mountain manager, who followed us one run and ALMOST tripped in a rut. :confused:

I will say that every time BDD takes a run, EVERY head on the chair lift turns to watch, even though they've seen him a hundred times already. And when he's off doing actual patrol duty stuff, I have ridden up with a few other patrollers - they speak of him with nothing but respect and admiration (and a few jokes about dangerous ruts... but then they head over the chair 4 for an unmolested powder run. :)) He is a 20 year veteran patroller in very good standing with his peers. Not sure what the manager's problem is...

post-6122-141842340618_thumb.jpg

Have you ever driven down a dirt road in the spring time with tire ruts so bad you really can't drive where you want? The ruts kinda suck you in? I can see that in a rut that is tire track wide, but the fine lines that a good carver makes? I doubt it.... as long as you aren't skidding across one, it can't possibly be a problem!! (OK, I am big enough to admit it.... I've gotten eaten up in some of those ruts left by the much more talented carvers.... it's ok though, I survived!)

My wife is a green run skidder on skis. She HATES my ruts. We have an agreement that I'll stay off whatever runs she want to go down so that she doesn't have to deal with them. She really struggled in the ruts at SES 3 years ago.

I totally agree that we don't do any more damage to a hill than everyone else does on a good powder day (big piles), but we can do that any day. I've seen someone hook one of my ruts and have their downhill ski pulled under them so they high-sided over it and down the run. They didn't know what happened but I sure did. Not that I did anything different after seeing that though... :ices_ange I do generally try to contain myself to a couple runs at the small local resorts for this reason.

Last time I was riding I was passed by a couple of patrollers. When I got to the bottom they were saying stuff like "AWESOME carves" and the like. Then one said that I "sprayed the sh__ out of her" as she passed me on the outside of a turn, I was a little nervous at what was going to come next, then she laughed and said it was great to see and that she'll give a little extra room next time. They obviously weren't bothered by the ruts.

C'mon now tokenskier, side slipping is a skill. I'm teaching my 5 year old to do it right now.

For my sanity, teach your 5 year old about "falling leaf" too! Edges are good :)

Seriously though, I was having a conversation at work a few weeks back. We couldn't think of a single sport we enjoy that doesn't have some inherent element of danger. Whether it be the snow, a fast moving rubber ball, pavement, or the morons in cars... they all have their risk. Anybody that can't accept that risk should just stay home and hide.

The ranting skier here actually knew b0ardski by name, which made it all the more comical.

I like big ruts and I can not lie

You other brothers can't deny

That when a board tips over with an itty bitty waist

And the ground is in your face

You get sprung, wanna pull out your tough

'Cause you notice that rut was stuffed

LOL!!!

Hey all,

I have Schweitzer management behind my event. All I really need is a big turnout next year since they have given me two years to host my event,then they will down evaluation.

Well that is good to hear.

As I wrote earlier in this thread. "What if enough existing season pass holders were to complain to the management?"

Sure we might not be banned from the mountain but we might not get discounted lift tickets and early loading to tear up a run before the public even gets out.

Around where I board the angry skier(s) complain about snowboarders scraping the snow off the run. They'll probably always find something to whine about. Hope to be refining my trench digging ability next season.

+1 Ain't that the ironic truth....when we were all "shredders" in the 80's/90's, we were accused of ruining the trail by scraping the snow off (forgetting for the moment that a skidding skiier has TWO edges doing the scraping). Now it's the ruts that are the problem?:freak3: Sheesh.

I spend lots of mornings putting sizeable ruts on the run they use for racing at the hill here. I can't tell you how many dirty looks I get when they come to set up the race courses, but no one has ever ( or will ever is my guess) said anything. I guess they know the truth of the matter.

Yeah business is right. Resorts are in business, and kicking people off the hill because of the type of equipment they use and results thereof is risky. I don't think most resorts are going to want relieve customers of their visits. Time will tell.

I do however remember the days when resorts did not allow snowboarders at all. When I take a headcount of people on the hill boarders of all types make up atleast half and possibly more of thier ticketholders. My business would not survive with half the volume of customers will thiers?

I do what I enjoy and am not there to ruin anyones day. I could in soft shell boots carve it up about the same.

I was at Scheiwter when this fellow had his tizzy fit-what an embarrasment he made of himself.

A policy like this would be impossible to enforce at any resort of significant size. Maybe at some mom-n-pop hill where they can be more like a club. They'd have to put "rut police" all over the place and pull over anyone making a line. Skiers, good softbooters, telemarkers, snowbladers, whatever. If they were to ban hardboot alpine snowboarding, personally I would go get a metal BX board, some Flows or FR2's, stiff softies and rut the krap out of the joint right under every chair. Then I'd go get some SL skis and do the same.

Jack, I'm not so sure we couldn't be banned on the basis of equipment type...I remember when snowboarders weren't allowed at my local resorts and later when they were only allowed access to certain slopes...You could of course use alternate equipment as you said but the enjoyment factor would certainly go down.

That said, I don't see a ban based on slope damage since a valid case could easily be made for damage by almost anyone using the resort...I could see restrictions.

My take is to be a good ambassador for the sport which I know lots of us alpiners are...That goes a long way...

• 3 weeks later...

Showed my dad a little video of me riding - he used to ski long ago but hasn't been out for years, so he has never actually seen me on the hill. His reaction: "Hey!! You just scratched that hill, bad!!! There - you did it again!!!" :biggthump He was also concerned that I didn't seem to be carrying a shovel - to dig myself out in case I ever tipped over in the ruts I was creating.... :ices_ange

One of the best parts about riding a Skwal sometiems is seeing the MASSIVE ruts you leave in the snow. The best is when the rut is deeper than the board is wide(in the waist). It always brings a smile to my face when skiiers get upset over it.

Whenever it is not a powder day here at Big Mountain, the snow reporter calls it a carving day on the groomers. So if we are not actually sanctioned we are definitely encouraged, whether on one edge or two. Ive never heard a complaint about trenches, but I can tell you that my biggest worry is skiiers bombing down a run and hitting us. One of our guys was hit twice this week and he rides the tightest line of any of us. FYI, Angry Rick, shaken, but on the mountain ready to complain about skiiers anytime.