Note to New Members ×

"You are creating a hazard!"

Jack M

Some funny skier rage in this video from the N.I.C.E. guys...

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33869

This hasn't happened to me exactly, although I have been given some light grief for my ruts by friends.

I hope if confronted like this I will remember to say: "so are you!"

skier: "what?! how?"

carver: "you're scraping all the snow off the hill!"

I bet that would go over well. :eplus2:

Good retort at the end of that video too.

Anyone else been in a situation like this?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This was the 2nd time I've been confronted. The 1st was last year when a handful of carvers were doing vids on Kaniksu. I posted then about the "dangerous ruts" the skiers were having problems with.

This guy at NICE was truly amazing. He was spewing at us(8-10 carvers in a group by the camera) for at least 5min and threatened to sue over creating a hazard that caused him to break a finger. We told him to stop scraping up hazardous moguls and that he shouldn't stick his fingers in the ruts.

Too bad we didn't get the whole spiel on camera.

He kept telling us to stop what we were doing and when Kram finally said to him "OK I'll just stop, I won't do this anymore" he made his way to the lift spewing all the way:smashfrea

PS I just watched the vid for the 20th time and I think we've got a classic, Our new carver battle cry

"Let's create a hazard"

Wow....sue?...really? There are hazards all over the mountain...including him swinging his pole around at everyone there.

This guy was obviously off his rocker a little. It's so easy to get angry back at him but it was great everyone standing around watching him make a fool of himself. Did he complain to management at all? Cripes...

Wish I'd had a camera with me at my local hill last year. Sign at the base of the lift (the liftie's a buddy of mine) said:

"For your skiing enjoyment, please avoid Upper and Lower Beeline until we have had a chance to groom- Jonny E has been on it all morning"

No-one's ever given me a serious hard time, but they really do go out and re-groom after a couple of hours, because that one slope (moderate pitch, fairly wide, right under the lift, slope falls away on both sides so the trenches get pretty deep) does take a hammering.

That was last year - this year I have a total of zero days on snow:mad:

'replace your divots' just so we don't ruffle too many powerful feathers and get ourselves kicked off the hill.I for one get worried when this happens,since I've seen many other things get banned for a few complaints.Skateboarding,Frisbee golf and a few others come to mind.

Good point Steve, we don't want to ruffle the wrong feathers.

I've heard of a few places that do a midday groom (I experienced this at Northstar) and maybe we can talk Schwietzer mgmnt into this on a designated run at next years NICE. Of-course that would require spending money, not likely to happen.

I for one get worried when this happens,since I've seen many other things get banned for a few complaints.Skateboarding,Frisbee golf and a few others come to mind.

How ironic... so now we are the skateboarders.

Wish I'd had a camera with me at my local hill last year. Sign at the base of the lift (the liftie's a buddy of mine) said:

"For your skiing enjoyment, please avoid Upper and Lower Beeline until we have had a chance to groom- Jonny E has been on it all morning"

Outstanding!

A few years ago I rode a chair with a couple of older guys (mtn div - WWII) and listened to them debate this subject with me on the chair. One thought that I was the only person he ever saw make snowboarding look like something he wanted to try. The other diplomatically complained about the ruts and the pattern of my turns (not conducive to the rest on the hill). Mostly the ruts. He was quietly annoyed. Kind of awkward, like an agree to disagree.

I know for a fact that those type of people are just jealous and extremely envious of our madd carving skills. I,ve been confronted as well on this mentality. I just ignore them instead of opening my mouth and inserting foot.

I know it'll come off sounding like so much bravado....but I couldn't have stood there for too long listening to that LOON's rant, especially with his ski-pole in the air!We all pay the same fees for the same privileges....not to be berated by an uninformed hero....he's going to chastise the wrong people sooner or later...and find himself going home with 4 really short ski-poles in tow.....besides,ruts only affect those that cross them while sideslipping:argue:Congrats to all of you on your show of restraint.

Although the reaction is hilarious and over the top, he does have a point.

We could put our boards on edge and cut through our own ruts.

However in softer snow condition (think >0C spring conditions in particular), I had complaints from old ladies on chairlifts and I've witnessed small kids trip or even fall over my ruts. I'm only 135lbs, I could just imagine what some of you 200 pounders can do in the same conditions.

In fact when really soft spring conditions, I do scale back how hard I push in the turn, esp. on weekends. Just feeling bad about ruining other people's enjoyment of nice conditions.

Although the reaction is hilarious and over the top, he does have a point.

We could put our boards on edge and cut through our own ruts.

However in softer snow condition (think >0C spring conditions in particular), I had complaints from old ladies on chairlifts and I've witnessed small kids trip or even fall over my ruts. I'm only 135lbs, I could just imagine what some of you 200 pounders can do in the same conditions.

In fact when really soft spring conditions, I do scale back how hard I push in the turn, esp. on weekends. Just feeling bad about ruining other people's enjoyment of nice conditions.

Are you kidding me? What about the skiers' push piles that form, in no time, in the spring's soft snow? By the afternoon they are often full blown moguls, if the run is steep enough...

At Cypress we had one old German(?) skier, who kept complaining about our ruts, year after year... Haven't seen him this season. Other then him, always admiration for our skills, especially from the skiers.

ONCE, I repeat - once, I was (half-jokingly) forbiden by my instructor colegues, to carve up our bunny hill, which I wasn't going to do anyways. That was at last year's pre-olympic melt down, when nothing but bunny hill had the snow left. My rut would have gone right down to the dirt...

At the normal conditions, everybody has equal rights to enjoy the mountain. Damage to the slope, bah, that's what the groomers are for.