Note to New Members ×

Got cash, but meagre talent: how much should I drop on a carving board?

Helvetico

Background: Been riding Tankers on softies, liked it, then switched to hardboots, which was even better. Rode last season on an F2 Vantage, which was fun and capable, but wouldn't dig in the rear inside edge at the end of the carve...nor the rear outside edge, for that matter.

Looking for piste machine to tear it up (think middle-aged guy here, not young athlete). Does it make sense to spring for a Kessler? A Virus? I'm in Switzerland, so Euro-brands are easiest to buy. Note, I have previously ridden a Virus, and it was awe-inspiringly fun and snappy. The tail took energy plowed into the turn and kicked it out in a most gratifying way.

Any thoughts on potential brands?

Thanks,

Uf Wiederluege,

Helvetico

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get ready to start building the quiver. :ices_ange

I am a Virus guy personally. I would recommend them to everyone.

My advice wold be to test a bunch of boads if possible then drop the hammer.

Its also a good idea to buy used gear, if you don't like it, resell it!

Background: Been riding Tankers on softies, liked it, then switched to hardboots, which was even better. Rode last season on an F2 Vantage, which was fun and capable, but wouldn't dig in the rear inside edge at the end of the carve...nor the rear outside edge, for that matter.

Looking for piste machine to tear it up (think middle-aged guy here, not young athlete). Does it make sense to spring for a Kessler? A Virus? I'm in Switzerland, so Euro-brands are easiest to buy. Note, I have previously ridden a Virus, and it was awe-inspiringly fun and snappy. The tail took energy plowed into the turn and kicked it out in a most gratifying way.

Thanks,

Uf Wiederluege,

Helvetico

pick up an F2 silberpfeil or speedster sl on ebay for €cheap

Thanks,

Uf Wiederluege,

Helvetico

Go Kessler, make sure it'll take an Apex plate, get an apex plate, some sidewinders, enjoy.

I bought, rode, and re-sold a good number of used boards in my early years. Most cost me $50 - $100 to ride for a year or more. Sometimes I'd have 4 boards in the car to choose between. It was great fun and really let me narrow down what I liked, and more importantly didn't like. I'd do it the same way again if I had to start over.

Then again, if you have the budget for it then go all-out and enjoy the best. I would have loved to learn to drive in a Ferrari too. But what if after owning the Ferrari for a month you wished you'd bought a Lotus instead? ;)

I agree with a few of the previous comments, you can't take it with you and demo as many boards as you are able to.

For a few reasons, you are in Switzerland, you have been riding softies with lower angles and you are middle age, I would suggest that you also check out a Swoard Extremecarver. Even if you never lay out one Eurocarve I would consider a Swoard as it is a very forgiving board when just carving around at what ever pace your body is up for.

Check out this link as Swoard is doing a demo tour this winter, perhaps they will be in your area:

http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7979

Hope this helps

Cheers

Rob

Thanks,

Uf Wiederluege,

Helvetico

I suck and love both the coiler NSR and kessler SL

Are your edges sharp on the F2 vantage? If they are dull you will have problems holding an edge on harder snow conditions. +1 on demoing boards if possible. I am the opposite of you average talent and no cash to spend for the new technology at this time but I am riding glass boards and having lots of fun. I will probably buy a used metal board when I buy one but I will always be riding my cheaper boards as well especially early and late season as I don't want to chew up an expensive board when cover is thin.

I bought, rode, and re-sold a good number of used boards in my early years. Most cost me $50 - $100 to ride for a year or more. Sometimes I'd have 4 boards in the car to choose between. It was great fun and really let me narrow down what I liked, and more importantly didn't like. I'd do it the same way again if I had to start over.
this was my meaning. there are many inexpensively prices boards on euro-ebay almost all the time, and they're generally sitting in the same price ranges.

good way to get some variety.

Well I do know a chap who learned to board in a private rented helicopter, but I don't see many people out there doing that, so I think perhaps some people may have some constraint on their spending power.

Even if money was no object, I would not recommend buying the latest esoteric boards and plates. First off, you'll look like "all the gear and no idea" if you ever take it near a slope. Second, if you put it into a rock, you're down £1,400 Euros, see 1st paragraph above. Third, as someone said, how do you know if a Ferrari's better or worse than a Lambo? Forth, F2 SL boards rock and you can ride circles around most consumer-driven riders with them. And fifth.. by this logic, this year's bling will be useless next season, that consumer treadmill doesn't stop.

I'd just ride a bunch of stuff until you know precisely what you want. Virus I've not ridden, but they're at "one end" of the spectrum... try the other stuff too.

If you're having issues with your existing F2, then I'd say your set-up needs tweaking. You should be able to feel the board and know what it's doing. If you're not holding an edge as well as you'd like then it's probably the lean or lift or other settings of boot/binding.

Even if money doesn't matter I would not recommend buying anything too special before you've had the chance to testride it.

Of course you're allowed to spend loads of money on new custom gear, it's yours after all. And if you don't like it, you can always resell it without difficulty and without losing too much money on the deal.

But I would at least recommend a versatile board that may be a top notch carving machine but doesn't overcharge you on the first day.

Talking about Virus the "classical" Virus on piste carving board (like a Lightning or Tantalus) is quite narrow and springy. You would have to change your binding angles quite much.

Since you've ridden wide boards so far I'd rather go for a >20cm board like Scalpel or Extremecarver. Give the factory a call and follow Frank's advice.

You can also try Oxess' RG line which is known to be quite forgiving yet provides great edgehold and fun.

I wouldn't recommend a GS raceboard without a testride. Maybe it's the right thing for you, but some of these boards are also fast and demanding. You should try this before you buy. It's not only the money, it's also about fun and health.

Have a look at www dot frozen-backside dot de and check the "börse" section, there's a lot of used Viruses on sale right now.

Huh, that Vantage should be a pretty good board... Even ElDiablo, the non-titanal version, holds on ice quite good, for a wide board. I' could trade you something for it. :D

You won't go too wrong with new generation boards. However, to really discover what you like (wide, narrow, stiff, soft, springy, damp, etc) you needto ride lots of boards... Maybe you go into used bargain board game for a year, buy, sell, trade, have some fun. Euro ebay is always full of alpine boards... By the next season you'll have an idea.

No. Don't do that. If you've got the cash, buy some new technology. Worse comes to worse you don't like it and sell it. Ideally, you try before you buy, as you have with your Virus.

You only live once, so why settle for sub-par gear?

Im no F2 fanboy but I had a number of them under my feet and they are excellent boards for the money, I concede that they are a step or two below in terms of build quality, but for the price of a new Virus you can buy 3-4 used F2 boards and narrow down what you really like, which is exactly what this guy needs.