Note to New Members ×

Is your season over?

kinpa

Is your season over?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Is your season over?

• No, still riding, or still have plans to ride.
    • Yes, due to an injury.
    • Yes, due to home mountain being closed for the season.
    • Yes, due to other circumstances. (explain below)

So, I've been reading posts on here several times a week and suffering from major withdrawl..... UGH!!!!! Haven't been on the board since the end of January. No, no injuries.... just life getting in the way (long story). Anyway, just wondering as April nears, how many of you are done for the season, and if so, why? Or how many are still riding or at least still have plans to ride?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has your season been similar to lower BC manland (nelson area) ? Carpet carving and making plates for all my boards will nave to do till next year.Local hill isn't run by skiers so they like to close as soon as they can. Would be nice if they would compete with other hills for longest season Maybe put down more than 1 foot of snow on at least one run for die hards.:confused:

My oldest daughter (she's 8) broke her arm in a Terrain Park on Feb 15th. Her cast came off the other day but due to the location of the fracture (near a growth plate) the doctor asked her to avoid any serious damage to it for another 10-12 weeks. She's looking forward to wakeboarding when the lakes around here warm up.

Dave

Hope life makes better arrangements for you next year Kathy:)

Got 2 more weeks before Schwietzer closes so I should get 7-10 more days in plus a few days hiking for turns after that (depending on weather) which will bring the total days on slope to about 80+.:p

On the other hand bragging about it is all I can afford to do:(

Best year for total days since I lived at Alpental in the 80s & 90s when I usually got in 100+

I picked "no, still riding".

We've gotten the biggest storms of the season in the last week, and it's still <a href="http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=pqr&smap=1&textField1=45.346&textField2=-121.673">coming</a>.

Even applying the NOAA "consistently overestimate snowfall" filter, Monday and Tuesday are going to be deeep. (and warm, but we're used to surfing the cement out here.)

"Late Afternoon: Snow showers. High near 33. Breezy, with a southwest wind around 28 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow. Low around 28. Windy, with a southwest wind 28 to 31 mph increasing to between 43 and 46 mph. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.

Monday: Snow. High near 31. Windy, with a southwest wind between 39 and 47 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 19 to 25 inches possible.

Monday Night: Snow showers. Low around 21. Windy, with a west southwest wind between 34 and 37 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible."

I didnt add to the survey because Im still hoping to get a sunny 50 degree spring day in VT. But with 3-5 inches of rain forecasted for the next 3 days Im kinda doubting it. Plus Lacrosse started today:eplus2:

Bobby, what you up to Friday? Might be hitting up Stowe with the Dinger.

Things are winding down. Local hill is closed. Was forecast to torch as high as 80 degrees F on Easter weekend :eek:--but they've backed down a bit. More seasonable weather after that, but our snowpack is going to take big hits this week with rain then heat.

It all started bad. Usually the first weekend of December we borrow my friends condo in tremblant for the weekend I get to ride and spend time with the family. This year, no snow at all so we hiked tremblant twice that weekend. It was still a lot of fun.

Then, mid december when the snow was finally in, I got hit by a skier from behind, broke my collarbone and AC joint separation.. out for 2 months. It was -25 C and about 7 cars in the parking. Just bad luck. No work, since I'm a phys ed teacher.

Finally I was back riding and getting back in shape for my Trip to Colorado that had been booked since september. The week before I left, our 16 month old son was hospitalized with a colapse lung and breathing problems. So I didn't go to Colorado, missed my plane. lucky me I took the insurance on the flight which I never do. Still lost money on the condo rental but it wasn't too bad. My son is out and in great shape without any problems. So this is what's important.

Still some riding to do this year but with the conditions not as good as I like it, I decided to pull the plug early on the season and just forget about it.

Still got about 15 days out on the snow.

Still going! I won't be doing too much more carving, but I do have some Kesslers to test thanks to Bola. :biggthump

Snowboard mountaineering season starts very soon on the Volcanoes! Woohoo!

Top photo is the SE face of South Sister, Middle photo is the NE face of Shasta, and the last photo contains Middle Sister, North Sister and Jefferson as the prominent peaks.

post-2671-141842311271_thumb.jpg

post-2671-141842311273_thumb.jpg

post-2671-141842311276_thumb.jpg

Still going! I won't be doing too much more carving, but I do have some Kesslers to test thanks to Bola. :biggthump

Snowboard mountaineering season starts very soon on the Volcanoes! Woohoo!

Top photo is the SE face of South Sister, Middle photo is the NE face of Shasta, and the last photo contains Middle Sister, North Sister and Jefferson as the prominent peaks.

Snowboard mountaineering???? Is that how you get up stuff if its not windy, or you don't have a kite?? HeHe..

Love that place, I have walked all over there! Good Times.

I should probably write it as Snowboard mountaineering to give due respect to real mountaineers.

No kites for me, just one foot in front of the other, repeat. :biggthump

I have often wondered why I have never seen anyone kiting up on of the volcanoes. It is pretty clear air with the right wind direction and aspect.

The season is NEVER over....it all depends how much time, energy or money you want to use to get to the snow.

If money is no concern, you can get easily get to the snow using very little time or energy...just a plane ticket and a rental car is all it takes. Chile, Argetina, New zealand...blah blah blah. However, if you're like many of us, and money IS a concern, you can STILL get to the snow...it just takes more time AND more energy.

Here in Virginia, where I am this year, this last weekend was the "last" weekend. The natural snow cover map looks pretty sketchy for the WHOLE east coast, actaully, except for northern Ontario. Next week or two will be the last of the riding in West Virginia (Snowshoe & Timberline).

But air tickets out west this time of year are pretty cheap if you shop. Rental prices are do-able if you use www.carrentals.com . Plenty of mountain passes out there in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana with snow. A pair of sherpa or Redfeather snowshoes, some camping gear for a base-camp, a board-pack and a board & boots (think non-carve conditions, so soft-boots would be better, plus they work well with the snowshoe bindings).

A couple of years ago, we drove out to Alberta and spent a week at closed-down Fortress Mountain ski area...not a SOUL there anywhere! We camped out at one of the maintanence parking lots and hiked and snowshoed up to to the snow...great riding every day!!!..and this was late June.

Up in Alaska, of course, you can ride All year around....past May, it just takes effort to get to the runs, is all. Splitboards and skins would come in handy up there. There is actually a pretty healthy contingent of "ninja-riders" who ride Alyeska Resort after it closes for the season. Always PLENTY of snow on the upper bowls, and fairly easy to access..just watch out for the spring-time avalanches...and the snow cops.

So, in short, where there is a will, there is a way.

Gravity IS Life.

I talked to a guy with Sparks splitboard bindings (http://www.sparkrandd.com/) Sat. at Schwietzer.

If enough BOLers asked them for bail type baseplates I'll bet they would make them. It's a definite upgrade from the 20 yr old Voile system which feels and looks like a toy.

I'm broke so I missed out on a $20 168 ebay board in prime condition that would've been perfect for cutting into a split. I have plans to cut a cheap board and create my own split interface out of an old pair of Nitro stepins for well under $100.

The King is done for the season, but going up to Whitefish to help close down Big Mountain this weekend (Kinpa - so sorry you won't be there! :() then back to Targhee for closing weekend April 10 & 11, plus maybe an extra Ghee weekday or two in there somewhere... Two more weeks of lift served snowsliding fun! :1luvu: