Note to New Members ×

ECES Every Year?

trailertrash

Would you come every year?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Would you come every year?

• Yes
    • No

Funny, I was just thinking about this before I got on line.

IIrc, the reason given for it being only every other year is that the time commitment to organize it is so large that Jack and Geoff don't want to have to deal with it every year. My thought was to work out arangements with a mountain for two years in a row all at once (i.e. have it 2 years at Stratton, 2 years at Sugarloaf, 2 years at Sugarbush and so on).

Stratton is centrally located, much easier to get to for anyone west of it, (Sugarloaf is 6 hours east of Stratton), not so bad for anyone north, south or east, it offers enough differing terrain...

I might suggest moving the time frame to the second or third week of Jan to catch colder weather, ice is nice

Manufacturers (guessing) would love the yearly exposure of their product in the east.

It's a lot of work to set up, but with repetition comes technique

Edited by ursle

I don't think I could manage an annual trip, and I'd be nervous about demoing new gear that often. I would probably want to buy and then feel bad that I couldn't afford it.

Would demos really be possible that often? There are other sessions that the manufacturers are probably asked to support too.

I'd probably come every year, and also do SES if time and money allowed. The three of us who came down from Ottawa absolutely had a blast, and it's only a 7 hour drive.

Thanks again to the organizers, the manufacturers, everyone who helped in the demo tent, Joerg and Eric, and anyone else who had anything to do with it!! YOU GUYS MADE MY SEASON :biggthump

I don't think I could manage an annual trip, and I'd be nervous about demoing new gear that often. I would probably want to buy and then feel bad that I couldn't afford it.

Would demos really be possible that often? There are other sessions that the manufacturers are probably asked to support too.

right, I'm sure some years there could be demos from different companies that don't show up at all of them.

I'm betting that the ECES is the only event in the east that's really worth going to with demos for builders.

it seems the turn out is good enough to do it annually.

I was thinking about this too... Stratton is obviously a popular and convenient destination for many reasons. However Sugarloaf offers another level of terrain. I was wondering if it would be feasible to run the ECES every year, alternating between the two resorts. Two separate teams could run the events.

Would this work?

i agree with jack with alternating the crews for the events!

i elect you and mcchichmagnet to put together the sugarloaf eces, and goeff/steph/alex to organize the stratton, dont fix it if it ain't broke! polaris can chip in with both events as a swing man. your more than welcome to all the elected ! :biggthump

if anyone would be intersted in loon, enzo, stevo, glenn and gleb will put it together.

if we go with ward hill, the shrumanator and myself will step up to the plate and try to handle the management there.

i wouldn't worry about the sponsors every year, to me its about riding with new and old friends, in my case really old friends. the demo's are nice, but tie's up alot of people who worked very hard for the event. if the vendors want to come they're obviously more than welcome, and if they have something new and improved to show and can't make it just send it to my house and i'l take care of it.

I mean are there enough chili fries for every year anyways? :barf:

:AR15firin

I was thinking about this too... Stratton is obviously a popular and convenient destination for many reasons. However Sugarloaf offers another level of terrain. I was wondering if it would be feasible to run the ECES every year, alternating between the two resorts. Two separate teams could run the events.

Would this work?

to attend next year if it happens.If it is at Sugarloaf,one of my wife's best friends from our Vail days now lives in Maine.If it's at Stratton we would use that as an excuse to visit Maureen's side of the family in Toronto and I could drive down from there(hell,just hop and a skip considering I just drove 16 hrs each way to spend three days in CO).Either way I would like to get to an event on the other side of the divide.

As for demos/manufacturers, last I looked,getting the product exposed every year is key to keeping the buying public excited and drooling over what they will buy next.Demos are a great way for us to educate ourselves on what we will want in a custom.Heck, demos could even make you feel you already have the perfect board.Lastly,demos are a great way to get aquainted with boards we may never afford, but can at least know what the owners of said boards are talking about.

I would happily volunteer to spend an hour as a demo tent grunt,and if a few others did, it would lighten the load for those that are usually saddled with the task.There could be a clinic at the beginning of the event for volunteers to ensure some consistency.Just a thought.

Once everyone rotates back into the real world and distractions of "off-season", perhaps everyone who was involved in theplanning of this event and past events, could share the necessary headcount to lock in lodging/ticket deals with mountains like Sugarloaf, etc. While it would be great to pull off ECES every year, if it's too much of a stretch, let's focus on the riding and coordinating a large group that can descend on one area at the same time. If the dates/times are out there in advance, I'm confident we'd have the participation. I'm more than willing to be involved in the process, as I'm sure many others would be. IMO it shouldn't have to fall on a couple folks that have done it before. By using our contacts, resources...we could come up with a great event in an "off" year. If we plan it, they will come. The poll is already speaking to it.

This could be a possibility guys. We had talked about rotating between Stratton and Sugarloaf. If we are able to do this it would mean we would probably only have demos at Stratton and none at Sugarloaf.

Alex, Steph, Jack and I received a ton of good feedback from a lot of you guys. It really means a lot to us to hear the positive feedback we put a ton of hours into making this event happen and it was great to see the happy faces. Everything ran smoothly and the weather and snow were great.

The one thing that you can expect for changes going forward is us having to charge for demo's. It cost some good $$ to send boards up for the event and it will help those working in the tent to keep people trying gear down to a minimum.

If you have any suggestions post your feed back here.

I'd pay $20 for a 4-board demo guarantee.

If this does go annual, I need to work on my game plan for pitching it to the wife;), maybe an angle that I'm not going SES,b/c ECES has been great the past two events and more than enough to sneek out for a few days and burn the quads.

Still making mental turns on Grizzley and Standard

I voted "no", not because I think ECES is a bad idea, but because I'm not sure if everyone understands the amount of work Jack, Geoff, and the rest of the organizers put into it. It's great to say "yeah, let's do it every year", but that only works if these guys or someone else is willing to step up and put in the work every year - so it's not really about what everyone wants, it's what the organizers are willing to do.

I no longer have a horse in this race as I am leaving the East Coast, but I think the level of interest may not be there to justify every year. Given unlimited time and funds, my choice would be to attend ECES one year and travel the next.

This could all be pointless as I was unable to attend this year, so I am basing my opinion on observations from '08 Stowe.

Anyway - We all owe Jack, Geoff, Alex, Steph, and the rest of the organizers a huge thanks. :biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

I voted "no", not because I think ECES is a bad idea, but because I'm not sure if everyone understands the amount of work Jack, Geoff, and the rest of the organizers put into it.

I really don't think it could be put on every year by the same people, for very long. The organizers would burn out quickly. I would. This is why we went biannual in the first place. The idea of alternating venues and organizers could work though. I know the Sugarloaf session would be smaller, but you can get group rates starting with only 20 participants.

hey guys! im in northern nj and could only make stratton on friday for my first eces event. the guys at the tent did a great job and everyone was friendly ofcourse. usually i like to go to sugarloaf anyway and get a great deal to rent a 10 person house. and i actually did go to both mountains this year.

my 2 cents is that for the guys who want to know what board to buy you need to demo and fall in love. reading a review is not specific enough. so for these people who only go one day and need to take a few runs to dial in the settup and experience how the board handles, they can only experience a couple boards in the am of one day. so for daytrippers a yearly demo would make them familiar with more boards so that when they buy something they can be happy with the purchase. and i was also thinking a $5 demo fee to cover shipping would be appropiate and affordable. and waiving this fee for volunteers can give the guys some rest who have to give up lots of riding time.

But for me the chance to ride with such a large variant of fellow carvers and to learn should definately be yearly, and for the best turnout should be centralized.

but like i said, im in nj and would go to sugarloaf every year. but exploring new towns and mountains makes for a fun trip also.

I really don't think it could be put on every year by the same people, for very long. The organizers would burn out quickly. I would. This is why we went biannual in the first place. The idea of alternating venues and organizers could work though.

Organizer burnout: been there, done that. Thus "not OES" this year @ Bachelor, which I happily attended but didn't conceive. Also realize that anything "organized" comes with some level of liability. The liability and its many impacts is the #1 factor that led me to burn out on OES.

Sounds like ECES '10 was something special. I have family in VT and one of the items on my long-term TODO list is to come out to VT some year that it happens at Stratton.

Organizer burnout: been there, done that. Thus "not OES" this year @ Bachelor, which I happily attended but didn't conceive. Also realize that anything "organized" comes with some level of liability. The liability and its many impacts is the #1 factor that led me to burn out on OES.

You mean people who can't read directions and needing their hand held and people hogging demos were lower factors? Wow. :p

I'm all go for a yearly event!

Loved the crew, appreciate the amount of time and efforts put into making this happen.

And am offering to help out for the next time around.

I've dealt with a couple events in the past and some of the outdoor industry, I've lost most of my contacts but I can definitely get around to talk to the right people.