Note to New Members ×

Should we offer a Sub-Forum for Softboot Carving?

fin

Should we create a Softboot Carving forum?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Should we create a Softboot Carving forum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Can go either way, not a big deal to me

Another one (think of Frosty) is just plain so pugillistic and pugnacious that he probably has dreams at night about hitting some softbooter in the back of the knees with his freecarve board while they're not expecting it. That's the Taliban at work.

Gravity is Life.

Wow, I have been call a pain in the ass before but never a pugillistic, pugnacious Taliban. I love it. Here is a tag line stolen for the telemark world and adapted for our soft boot bretheren. NO ONE CARES IF YOU RIDE SOFTIES!:)

Think Snow

With love from the Hardboot Talilban

There is, apparently, a small contingent here that is the "hardboot police"...although I consider them the "Hardboot Taliban"...as they seem that there is only THEIR way or no way

These Hardboot Taliban are an odd lot...one seems to depise all other forms of snowboard gear so much that he forbids his two youing kids to learn snowboarding (as there is no Alpine equipment for small kids yet), so he has them on skis INSTEAD of snowboards. Little kids are GREAT at learning snowboarding...it's a natural thing for them,

Yeah, I ride softboots...because while I spend most of every run either carving or high speed flatboarding, I still like to throw a decent method off some mid-slope kicker and land fakie and transition that fakie to smooth carve.

I only say that because SOME in this forum think their niche is the Holy Grail and you're only fast if you're in hardboots.

Incidently, ONE of the reasons I am here is because ODDLY enough I DO own hardboots of a sort...

So your other reason for being here is to spew softboot jong schite all over one of the few places on the net that sells, uses, and discusses hardboot gear???

Taliban?? Our soldiers may be fighting them but we didn't go to afghanistan to evagilistically convert them to the true religion.

So you rip in softboots, so do 10 million other people. Get down off your self appointed pedestal and buy some plates for your scarpas, let us know how it works for you but take your jong spew to TGR or something:barf:

Alright, fine. I'll pipe in.

Seeing how much drama this poll alone has created, I think adding a whole separate area for softbooters is going to promote more softbooters on the forum in general and therefore more drama - not give them a place to bicker on their own. Inclusion is a great thing, but we have to remember it isn't like these people have no where else to go to discuss.

This is a hardboot forum, and while I'm all for those of you who can carve in softies - this is still a hardboot forum. We don't ask to get special areas to discuss our niche area of the sport on TGR and other forums, so I don't think asking to keep this as a place for those of us who love to carve in hardboots is too much to ask.

Part of the reason I love carving so much is because of the small community and closeness that comes from a smaller (in comparison) group of people who take part in the sport. A softbooter who has interest in hardbooting or in the freeride boards offered by primarily alpine board makers is one thing, but I would hate to see our sense of community and pride be watered down by creating an outlet for additional controversy and discussions that take away from the main point of why we are all here.

In summation, I agree with Jack and two_ravens: please make a decision and yank this post.

Angie, you rock:biggthump

Carving Community or Racing/Coaching forum. That's where it's been since day 1.

I guess that's the whole point of Fin's troll... Is it clearer to divide the forums based on gear?

I'd say yes for the gear itself, but if you're here to get into discussions of how to carve better, you can learn alot from opening any technique-related post... Even if it's just to analyse how things are done differently.

This is where it comes down to stance angles. Hard or soft, the angles will determine the sequence of movement in either turn and where efforts are focused.

Best posts in here: Kjl (as usual) and new guy pegtal. Leeho... You're right up there too. I should have left it at theirs, but I couldn't.

We don't ask to get special areas to discuss our niche area of the sport on TGR and other forums, so I don't think asking to keep this as a place for those of us who love to carve in hardboots is too much to ask.

I've been to TGR. Seemed more like a ski sight with a general snowboard corner than anything else. Is this the big option everyone keeps talking about?:barf:

Seeing how much drama this poll alone has created, I think adding a whole separate area for softbooters is going to promote more softbooters on the forum in general and therefore more drama - not give them a place to bicker on their own. Inclusion is a great thing, but we have to remember it isn't like these people have no where else to go to discuss.

This is a hardboot forum, and while I'm all for those of you who can carve in softies - this is still a hardboot forum. We don't ask to get special areas to discuss our niche area of the sport on TGR and other forums, so I don't think asking to keep this as a place for those of us who love to carve in hardboots is too much to ask.

Part of the reason I love carving so much is because of the small community and closeness that comes from a smaller (in comparison) group of people who take part in the sport. A softbooter who has interest in hardbooting or in the freeride boards offered by primarily alpine board makers is one thing, but I would hate to see our sense of community and pride be watered down by creating an outlet for additional controversy and discussions that take away from the main point of why we are all here.

Angie, well said! I am all for whatever format best encourages interest in carving. BTW, I got to spend part of yesterday riding with a gal who is a brand new convert to hardboots, and am trying to help her get set up with some better gear. As you have said before we need more women on the forum! (And no - we don't need a separate section.:rolleyes:)

In summation, I agree with Jack and two_ravens: please make a decision and yank this post.

Excellent post and the longer this thread goes, the more I feel this way. I would prefer the thread be locked at some point (soon), but not deleted. It has been really interesting to watch what happens when it is asserted that BOL is a hardbooting website.

I think a softboot carving forum might a good idea, but that it would need to be made clear that this site is overwhelmingly focused on hardcore carving on hardboots, and that pushing a softboot agenda will not be tolerated. It would be a good opportunity to introduce people to carving who are interested but maybe don't have the scratch to dump into alpine boots/plates/deck right off the bat. It (could) help to eradicate some of the misconceptions that so many softbooters have about plates too (uncomfortable/retro). I wince every time some softbooter points at my Virus/UPZ/Fintec/TD3 and calls it old-school ... there is nothing even remotely old-school about any of this stuff. (As an aside - I *really* think hardbooting needs to shed the retro label).

It could also promote the growth of the sport. Like Angie: I like that this is a small, close-knit community of hard-riding people who love it for what it is and don't necessarily want it to grow into a huge phenomenon ... though I think some growth would be very welcome. I'm not of the mind that alpine snowboarding is a sport that will ever grow tremendously: it simply requires too much dedication/love/focus to get good at this for most people to stomach, and 90% of riders just do not have the mettle for it. That said, I feel like some growth would be healthy - there are clearly lots of people out there who want to try this but have no clue how to start and give up when they are faced with equipment decisions.

A softboot carving forum for people who want to get carving could help us:

a) Educate the masses about what this really is about, so that there are fewer misconceptions about the sport.

b) Bring those people into the sport who are ready to commit to it, but don't know where to begin.

I think ejecting softbooters who push a softboot agenda on a site that is primarily focused on hardboots is a good idea, because maintaining focus is good, and because anyone who would join a forum expressly to preach contrarian opinions has nothing useful to offer that forum ...

Fin,

Please DELETE this thread.

While it was great to think that ALL could get along and just talk Carving

it has become disgusting to what is important here.

HB's and SB's can both Carve, but can not get along HERE, so separate

before someone gets hurt....

the above post is baffling, it's a civil discussion for the most part except from a couple softbooters that can't deal.

I don't understand why a few people come here, piss on our gear and wonder why they get beat up a little.

if you don't like it, leave.

the above post is baffling, it's a civil discussion for the most part except from a couple softbooters that can't deal.

I don't understand why a few people come here, piss on our gear and wonder why they get beat up a little.

Ditto. Couldn't have said it better.

It's not just a couple of softbooters. It's the "this site is all about carving yada yada yada now feck off all you softbooters" hypocrisy. "Pushing the softboot agenda"? Bollocks.

Fin, please delete my account.

I didn't bother reading through all of this bickering, because what else could generate soooo many posts and viewings in such a short amount of time?

I did however see Buell's quote of Angie's post (only read the first post by Fin and the posts on "This" page 9 I think). And I agree.

It seems like making a softboot forum would open the door for more bickering.

I ride both, it depends on the conditions. I spend about 90% of my time on hardboots. I could expand more on this, but I'm sure it's already been said.

Anyway, this thread is just a window/sneak peak at what would happen if a softboot forum was made here. Nip it in the bud, don't do it...

Nothing wrong with softboot discussions and techniques regarding the riding, just realize this is a hardboot site and forum.

BTW, check out the sig. No technique being discussed here, sure seems like a lot of wasted time. :AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin

It's not just a couple of softbooters. It's the "this site is all about carving yada yada yada now feck off all you softbooters" hypocrisy. "Pushing the softboot agenda"? Bollocks.

Fin, please delete my account.

few people have actual issues with softbooters. I am a softbooter too. it's a few people that seem to have a softboot chip on their shoulders that are getting upset here. apparently you're one of them. really, most of just don't care enough to have issues other than we find a few and by a few I mean somewhere in the range of 3 to 5 people who bitch to us about how softboots are just as good to carve on. those 3 to 5 people many here are highly annoyed by.

most of us here do both, quit yer cryin' and grow a set or...... go elsewhere.

I didn't bother reading through all of this bickering, because what else could generate soooo many posts and viewings in such a short amount of time?...

It seems like making a softboot forum would open the door for more bickering....

Anyway, this thread is just a window/sneak peak at what would happen if a softboot forum was made here. Nip it in the bud, don't do it...

1. Take the time to read it through... I've not rode softies more then twice over the last 15 yrs but still, what a display. someone posted up something like, "a bunch of dinosaurs presiding over their own extiction". what a profitic line :(

2. I disagree and think that a separate forum here will help those "purists" from having to risk reading a pedestrian post.

3. Without a separate forum, folks WILL continue to post about softboots and as the "purists" show their azz towards a few admittedly outspoken nOObs who perhaps are a little overzealous about showing their lack of hardboot experiance.

:lurk:

...it's a few people that seem to have a softboot chip on their shoulders that are getting upset here...

hmmm, their are also a few on the other side of the arguement that could stand to relax just a bit and see that they share some fault.

if a separte forum were here, those threads would be separated from All the hardboot forums. OR, perhaps everyone should grow a set and continue to see them pop up all over the site while moderators play wack-a-mole...

hmmm, their are also a few on the other side of the arguement that could stand to relax just a bit and see that they share some fault.

I couldn't agree more. The extremes on both sides are wrong in my opinion. Many of the arguments presented against a softboot forum are really strong arguments for a softboot forum. If nothing else, the people that get the most upset about seeing anything related to softboots could just not open the softboot forum.

I don't really care either way. I don't ride softboots any more but have a passing interest in staying somewhat up to date if I ever want to get some again. Perhaps Bomber could be a place for adults to discuss softboots and technique, unlike the majority of softboot sites. If this thread is any evidence, it looks to me that the moderators might have a hard job keeping the most passionate hardboot 'enthusiasts' from trolling too many of those posts though.

If this thread is any evidence, it looks to me that the moderators might have a hard job keeping the most passionate hardboot 'enthusiasts' from trolling too many of those posts though.

If I could make a friendly amendment to this statement - I think this is exactly what will happen with both sides. It is unfair to say only the hardboot "crazies" will troll the softboot threads, because as we can clearly see there are some softboot entusiasts who go overboard with what they post on hardboot threads. I don't believe this will stop just by creating a "special" place for softbooters to discuss softboot stuff, because it isn't necessarily the softboot driven discussions that get heated when the two sides clash. There seems to be an ongoing opinion that IF a softboot forum is opened it will alleviate the bickering, but we are kidding ourselves if we think the hardbooters are going to stay on the hardboot side and the softbooters are going to stay on the softboot side.

If I could make a friendly amendment to this statement - I think this is exactly what will happen with both sides. It is unfair to say only the hardboot "crazies" will troll the softboot threads, because as we can clearly see there are some softboot entusiasts who go overboard with what they post on hardboot threads. I don't believe this will stop just by creating a "special" place for softbooters to discuss softboot stuff, because it isn't necessarily the softboot driven discussions that get heated when the two sides clash. There seems to be an ongoing opinion that IF a softboot forum is opened it will alleviate the bickering, but we are kidding ourselves if we think the hardbooters are going to stay on the hardboot side and the softbooters are going to stay on the softboot side.

and why I am signing off...

and why I am signing off...sorry if I seemed such a Threat to anyone!

Softbootsailor - As Snowman mentioned earlier, I think many of us will agree that YOU are not the driving force behind the negative light shed on softbooters on this forum. I (personally) would be disappointed to see you sign off permanently.

Softbootsailor - As Snowman mentioned earlier, I think many of us will agree that YOU are not the driving force behind the negative light shed on softbooters on this forum. I (personally) would be disappointed to see you sign off permanently.

Having a veteran wave rider who's so attuned to the rhythms of sea and slope is a real plus.

Mahalo

BB