Note to New Members ×

Hit by a skier

jtslalom

someone said hill frustration is really bad, i agree and wanted to emphasize that crowded slopes really hurt those of us who are still learning and need those greens/blues to refine our technique....I got hit a few weeks ago (nothing major) but I was toeside and she slammed into me. First hit ever.

On the east coast, especially in the PA/NJ area, if you are out past 1pm on a weekday (10am? on a weekend?) then forget about green trails, and look behind you on blues/blacks. I have never gotten angry at skiers until I started the alpine thing. Some days I get so frustrated :boxing_smbecause I can't progress in my learning b/c I have look over my shoulder every turn I make. that's no way to ride, that's no way to enjoy the day. I'm seriously considering moving to Denver, btw.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone said hill frustration is really bad, i agree and wanted to emphasize that crowded slopes really hurt those of us who are still learning and need those greens/blues to refine our technique....I got hit a few weeks ago (nothing major) but I was toeside and she slammed into me. First hit ever.

On the east coast, especially in the PA/NJ area, if you are out past 1pm on a weekday (10am? on a weekend?) then forget about green trails, and look behind you on blues/blacks. I have never gotten angry at skiers until I started the alpine thing. Some days I get so frustrated :boxing_smbecause I can't progress in my learning b/c I have look over my shoulder every turn I make. that's no way to ride, that's no way to enjoy the day. I'm seriously considering moving to Denver, btw.

Carve Ship Burning Thighs, Beginner's Log Star Date 2010, Planet Talus : Tricorder readings show broken ice, hills of snow and numerous little discordant alien Gromulens, suggest avoidance at all cost, to close for proton missile switching to big snow gun.

I "had" about 11 trips to the near by resort-mnt's and I learned a few things about alpine hard booting over soft and / or skiing.

1) You really should be the very 1st one on the lift when they open up so you can get that vital practice as a NuB ( U & I are both in the learning phase )

2) "Carving" alpine is for the most part a groomed or fresh over groom trail sport, be "picky" if you can afford it get a season pass you you can "poo poo unless it's groom pow"

3) The trail really should be "wide" & "long", ( Don't go black you may never go back, lol ) the short & steep black D runs always put me into a religious revival -survival mode > O God don't let me die, lol ) a good blue or green run is a perfect learning mode ( I could ride blue my whole life and have fun )

4) Crowd's : avoid the weekend, unless You can be 1st up on top you will always be distracted by bombers behind and brand NuB's in front. ( Scotty get me out of here" "Aya Capt I giving her all I got )

5) Always bring a quiver / a 2nd all mountain weapon with hard boot set up on it to switch when the unwashed masses invade and conquer the slopes to fight off the hoard of moguls. yet still remain hard booting. ( Don't give into the Romulens in their soft boot mind control, stay "hard" ).

6) My favorite & Yours > Move to CO :p

I actually did get hit by a ski patrol member a few years back. send me flying off to the side of a trail after he hit the tail of my board.

He took off and didn't even look back! Suffice it to say I went to the patrol shack to complain, but I'm not sure whether they took me seriously or not.

This is surprising..multiple other people who have been buzzed by patrollers.

One patroller almost skied over my dad's tips, my dad got spooked but didn't fall. The next run, the same guy's boots clicked against mine IN THE SAME SPOT on the run. This is a dead empty trail!

I complimented him on his execution of the code..

I average about 3 hits from behind a year... last year last week with Thor at Winter Park.. it happened again..

The best excuse was " hey you were in my line" waaaaht??

He shut up after I pulled off my helmet and saw I was older than he was..not to mention.. it was my third hit of the season.. so I was hot!! I threw him his skis and he didn't say a thing....

Its just getting out of hand for me.. I just ride in the morning get the groom and go home...

Sukss though!! there is never a patrol when you need them.. but Im sure I would have been blamed.. I always am..

RSS

• 2 weeks later...

Well... It happened to me yesterday at Wisp (west Maryland). :(

It was green trail and short and wide for in-between trees on side. On the top, I waited to front skier to go away and then wend down. I was the first one (good 150 feet no one was in front of me..)

I took it slow and did little push-pull carving for first few turns and took a little sharp heel-side turn. But a skier was just trying to pass me from behind left. It was a light hit. So after collision, we were going about 10 feet straight down as we stuck together fighting to gain balance back. As soon as I got my sense of control back, I did lean hard for a toe-side turn to escape and give him some room to regain his balance (he didn't and fell down)

Then.... immediate .2 second, I saw a little girl coming straight down and she was just a foot from my right side of my face. :eek: The nose of my 4wd hit her left boot so hard her both skies snapped out and she wend down hard. I did front-flip and landed on my chest.

I was o.k. and dragged me down to see if the little girl is ok. It was a quite hard hit. I found out the skier that colide first was the little girl's dad. She cried and moaned. I and her dad asked and checked her if she is alright. What an scary moment it was.. :( She was OK.

At the time when she stood up, whole her family was gathered. They were surprised and overwhelmed by the accident but didn't say a word to me. I was pissed but more concerned about the little girl. Her dad seemed know skier's code well. He didn't say a word except checking her daughter and told her to 'suck it up, stand up, and let's go down hill' to the crying little girl. Then slide down to the base with them. I followed and checked on the little girl again and went my way. Then took a lift to slopes that take me to the base and came home.

I do look up right before I do my toe-side turn most of times. but yesterday, I couldn't. Just plain feel bad and didn't want to continue ride any more.

I've never had anything like this happen, but I think I know a bit of what you are feeling. It sucks to be in an accident like this as an innocent party. I hope you can find a way to be Ok yourself. It is good to know the girl is not hurt badly. IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT. I hope the DAD learned a little bit today and is capable of seeing his role in the accident he caused. Many people cannot allow themselves to be at fault. Some people needlessly blame themselves no matter the facts.

Be well, and find a way to enjoy your hobby.

my personal fave is the "instructor" with 20 7 yr olds in tow going tree line to treeline like a dammmm conga line. This almost always occurs around a blind corner or under a lip/kicker out of sight. Weekends it can be super hard to avoid running over an idiot let alone worry about getting hit from behind. IT amazes me to watch lessons being given with such obvious lack of the basic rules of the road.

don't sit down in the middle of a run under a lip

don't leave your small child in the above position.

If you are a 500 pound canadian woman don't stop around blind corners on the cat track to the parking lot. The odds of most people avoiding collision with you are nill. I missed you because I am good and wary. I scratched up the base of my favorite coiler on the tree I had to ride to miss you.

don't enter a run without looking uphill:freak3: seriously these people have no survival insticts. IF darwin was right they would be long gone from the gene pool.

I keep a close eye on the Moron ratio and I leave when it hits the critical point. Its just not worth another run to risk somebody getting hurt. I am usually off the mountain by 1 on weekdays and 12 on weekends.

The nose of my 4wd hit her left boot so hard her both skies snapped out and she wend down hard.

that was an upsetting incident you had.

you know, when you are dealing with kids its a whole new deal. in the summer I am a hardcore racer (motocross yz450) and often some less serious folks will invite me to ride at their "secret spot". often this secret will be known to all the locals and even though none are there at the moment I get that feeling, from experience, that this is not a good thing here. They'll see me start my bike but just idle around, looking over every hill, around every blind corner and just not coming up to any decent speed. I explain that "I can't ride here. Its not secure". I always get "ahh... everyone knows which way the trail goes. and if they don't screw them". I'm like listen "I can tell you right now I am not going to be standing here, later today, explaining to some young father why his 8 year old kid is dead and why it was the kid's fault". "That's not happening and that's why I can't ride here". Also from a $$$$/legal standpoint, consider that no jury is going to want to listen to some techno mumbo jumbo about the skier's code when a minor is involved. Especially when the plaintiff's lawyer quotes from your own beloved mumbo jumbo that: "When entering a trail or starting a descent yield to other skiers". And then he asks you, while you are on the witness stand, why you don't think these rules apply to you. another words, kiss your house goodbye.

some things in america are just lose-lose. and majors doing bodily harm to minors (even when its 99% the minor fault) is one of them. you just can't let it happen.

so glad to hear it was all ok in the end.

Sic

Be well, and find a way to enjoy your hobby.

Thank you. Now I am wondering what would be the best way to not having this kinda issue on mountain. Thought about snowboarding only mountains and maybe if 100 years from now, alpine snowboarding only trails? :1luvu:

But couldn't imagine that would be 100% collision free though. As nature of alpine boarding, we do make sharp J turns. Even if a well experienced alpine boarder is following behind, he/she can't expect/aware where the front border is going to make a J-turn to right or left and get on his/her line. And if he/she doesn't have enough distance with the front rider, collision could not be avoided.

So... I was thinking to installing side mirrors on nose, not sticking out but angled mirrors. Like shinny metal topsheet on nose but has angled slightly so that can see what's coming behind of me. Did anybody think this already?

:lol: See? I am going crazy over this but don't want to kill anyone even though it wasn't my fault.

If you are a 500 pound canadian woman don't stop around blind corners on the cat track to the parking lot. .

:lol::lol::lol:

hey don't be making fun of our fat girls ,,, they need luv'n too! now that I think of it you americans have always been envious of our ladies:D

Anyway.. I got hit 8 years ago and just got back on the snow this year.

It is my motto to watch out for the other guy, yield the right of way and if unsure sit the hell down and wait it out.

I was hit from behind by a five/six year old, a few weeks back. A family were standing at the top of the run. looked like they weren't going, so I went. Then I noticed the little kid had started at the same time as me. I thought I'd straight line a bit to get a good lead before I started making turns, but then saw the kid was almost keeping up with me, but way over on my right. I made a couple of shallow turns, then thought better of it, slowed down for a bit, and stopped toward the left of the run. I waited to see the kid go by on the right, then wack, he runs right into me. My hip took most of the impact, and the kid flew through the air about twenty feet. By the time I had picked my self up, and got down to the kid, his parents were there. He was shaken, but seemed ok. Turns out he had started a kiddie race program the week before, and it seemed his parents were actively encouraging him to go fast. I made a comment about him being out of control and not able to stop (he could only do a wedge stop). They apologized, and we went on our way. :smashfrea

BobD

had some close calls friday on a tight corner on a blue trail a little girl stops just right of the middle as im carving on the right side of the trail. then her dad on the left side crosses in front of her and stops blocking the right side of trail. my 2 options carve hard heel side blindly into traffic, or pick a line between the 2 so i had to check my speed best as i could and dodge between them. i looked like a moron but i was at a safe distance to start and we were all traveling the same speed until the sudden stop and blockage of the right side while skiiers try to pass me on left. a mixture of events made it a close call.

but strattons main trail under the quad i waited for a clear trail, which is very wide at this point, with no one except mel who was with me uphill i start my carve. im taking up the left side of the trail in repetitive turns, coming out of toe side mid transition i see a shadow, so i instantly bring the board around to check my speed and this skiier standing upright suddenly pops into my vision, and blows right past me. the only thing that stopped him from hammering me at full speed was that i pushed him as he went in front of me, which forced him offcourse slightly. he continued down hill at full speed without ever looking back.

was he anticipating me continuing my carve? if he was, his plan was to barely miss my tail at full speed on a wide open trail. in my head i try to leave a good buffer so i dont spook the person im passing as well as being predictable so i dont scare someone into doing something stupid. i also lift my forward hand and point to where im carving heel and toeside so i wont surprise someone looking to pass.:AR15firin

...her family was gathered. They were surprised and overwhelmed by the accident but didn't say a word to me. I was pissed but more concerned about the little girl. Her dad seemed know skier's code well.

I love the "I know that I was wrong but I'm really upset but if I say anything I'll be even more wrong" silence.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple days ago at Winter Park I got slammed into by a softbooter. AND I WAS OFF THE RUN!

I had finished making a few good turns and needed to rest my legs so I slid over to a small group of trees. I wanted to get well off the run and decided to drop my board off the groom and sit on the edge in a highly visible spot. The snow off the groom was super compressible and I sank way in. (needed the "getting up in powder" thread). I got out of my bindings and sank hip deep. So I just stayed there for a bit, pondering my next move.

Then I hear a scraping, tumbling, thrashing coming my way. I look to my right to see a board coming at me broadside, right at my head and chest!! I'm stuck and cannot move a bit. All I can do is turn a bit so he hits my back and shoulder (luckily, not the shoulder that dislocates easily).

I wasn't too terribly upset because I realized he was a bit of a beginner, he apologized profusely and he was embarassed by his mistake/tumble. I got out of the deep snow and then helped him out.

Then he couldn't figure out how to strap on his board again on the modest pitch and started hiking downslope, I guess to find a flatter spot. The next thing I see is him.... sprinting after his runaway board!

So this week I got a couple days in a Whiteface ... Slushy freeriding but fun.

Anyway, on two separate occasions a skier passed me in a dangerous manner.

1) The skier passes me and then immediately cuts me off, forcing me to speed check. I tried to catch up to him, hoping he would stop at a flat, but he didn't. I was planning on chewing the kid out ... and I really don't do that. But when you force someone to brake, you need to be informed of your error.

2) Skier passed me on my heel side so close that if my arm was extended out, I would have clotheslined him.

Talking to my skier friend, she says most skiers just have no clue how dangerous it is to pass close on our heel side. Again, if I could have caught up, I would have wanted to discuss the situation.

Oddly, no snowboarders were causing me any real problems ;)

the only thing that stopped him from hammering me at full speed was that i pushed him as he went in front of me, which forced him offcourse slightly.

I've had some of those, where you physically connect with some out of control skier/ boarder but retain control, with the result being them going down and me not. I think of those as like in the swimming pool, where people swimming across the pool get into my line... I'm just a stronger swimmer than most people so I usually just drive straight through. Snowboarding's the same.

And I do wear a fluorescent jacket usually (on snow, not in the pool, for the photography stuff).